U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 01:12 PM

1,856 posts, read 714,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
I have had several job opportunities end abruptly lately with the phrase.

Three examples

1st Job, recruiter said I was a good fit, resume looked good, scheduled for an interview and then on the day of the interview, "We have to reschedule" a few days later, "We are sorry but this job is being filled internally"

2nd Job. Talked to a hiring manager, he liked me and my experience, said I just needed to talk talk to their recruiter and everything else should be good to go. Had the talk with the recruiter, everything went well and it was a pleasant conversation then right at the end, "I have to tell you that this position is no longer available, its being filled internally"

3rd Job:Get a call out of the blue from someone i know asking if I would be open to a position that was coming open. Said sure and things seemed to be progressing nicely for a month or so then I get an text message from him, "This position is now being filled internally"

What makes it more frustrating is that all of these jobs would have been a significant raise in pay for me.

Just major let downs... ugh
Don't take it personally and don't worry about what manner they tell you that you have been rejected. Be cynical in your job search and don't get attached to each potential opportunity. No matter how great you think the job would be after an interview, you don't really know until you start working there. You could have a great interview or series of interviews only to find out that the job is garbage after you start.

So don't get emotionally attached and keep interviewing until you get an offer that you are comfortable in accepting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 01:48 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,854,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
If you don't get a job, why does it matter? Whether they did find a better candidate, or filled with an internal candidate, or hired the boss' nephew, or it was a fake opening all along... so what? You still don't have a job and must keep looking.

Why do some people feel this need to deeply analyze and understand and explain away every setback?
Because it's full of crap that they do this, then either silence or some idiotic response.

I've been in that position quite a few times.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:34 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,464,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
The REAL answer is "Hey we found a useful idiot who is willing to take less and work more for it" That's what they mean...
My buddy was interviewing potential peers. A few internal people applied at the same thing. The internal candidates will have to do the same amount as work as any external hire. The salary grade is still the same.

We typically see more internal candidates looking for a move around March/April. This also happens to be when bonuses have already paid out.

In October-December, it's the complete opposite. It's when everybody is going through annual evaluations. Nobody wants to **** off their manager, when their bonus relies on a good review.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:42 AM

12,263 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBot View Post
Write to your congressman to reverse Equal Employment Opportunity.
LOL...should I ask what that even means? Reverse EEO? So you are pro-job discrimination?

Old 05-06-2019, 11:27 AM

298 posts, read 135,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
In the last company I worked with, it was required that all new positions interview at least one external candidate before filling the role with an internal candidate. There were multiple roles that were clearly going to be given to an internal candidate, but the hiring manager was forced due to company policy to interview one or more external candidates.

Just the way it is. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Keep interviewing. Expect nothing until the offer letter is in your hands.
I was recently burned by the 'we are going with an internal candidate'. 7 one hour phone interviews (they weren't willing to schedule after my work hours) and 3 vacation days to fly to California has left me with no more time off because the rest of my vacation days are actually FOR vacation. For me, I can't continue interviewing the rest of the year unless a company is willing to interview me after my work hours, and I don't see this happening.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:37 PM

44 posts, read 7,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
LOL...should I ask what that even means? Reverse EEO? So you are pro-job discrimination?
I believe your post is for the person I was quoting: Minethatbird. They were the ones suggesting that these jobs not be posted (and thus either violating or reversing EEO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or