Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 02:17 PM

325 posts, read 233,573 times

Advertisements

I have had several job opportunities end abruptly lately with the phrase.

Three examples

1st Job, recruiter said I was a good fit, resume looked good, scheduled for an interview and then on the day of the interview, "We have to reschedule" a few days later, "We are sorry but this job is being filled internally"

2nd Job. Talked to a hiring manager, he liked me and my experience, said I just needed to talk talk to their recruiter and everything else should be good to go. Had the talk with the recruiter, everything went well and it was a pleasant conversation then right at the end, "I have to tell you that this position is no longer available, its being filled internally"

3rd Job:Get a call out of the blue from someone i know asking if I would be open to a position that was coming open. Said sure and things seemed to be progressing nicely for a month or so then I get an text message from him, "This position is now being filled internally"

What makes it more frustrating is that all of these jobs would have been a significant raise in pay for me.

Just major let downs... ugh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 02:20 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,686,828 times
The "go away now" phrase hardly matters. That you get one at all should be considered lucky.

Followup from general applications: 1 in perhaps 50.
Followup when there is subsequent contact, perhaps a brief conversation: 1 out of perhaps 10.
Followup after significant in-person interviews: 1 out of 5, and that was because the owner/interviewer was a near-peer hiring for his very small company. Two or three much larger and well-established companies never even bothered with a "found someone, thanks" email.

Employer rudeness and lack of consideration for candidates has never been higher. I remember getting a response to every single application, not that many years ago.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:15 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,840,882 times
Expect nothing.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:43 PM

22,961 posts, read 18,280,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post

Three examples

1st Job, recruiter said I was a good fit, resume looked good, scheduled for an interview and then on the day of the interview, "We have to reschedule" a few days later, "We are sorry but this job is being filled internally"

2nd Job. Talked to a hiring manager, he liked me and my experience, said I just needed to talk talk to their recruiter and everything else should be good to go. Had the talk with the recruiter, everything went well and it was a pleasant conversation then right at the end, "I have to tell you that this position is no longer available, its being filled internally"

3rd Job:Get a call out of the blue from someone i know asking if I would be open to a position that was coming open. Said sure and things seemed to be progressing nicely for a month or so then I get an text message from him, "This position is now being filled internally"

What makes it more frustrating is that all of these jobs would have been a significant raise in pay for me.

Sometimes it is exactly that. I have personally filled positions from within after interviewing candidates from within and outside. The best person got the job. Things shuffle around in organisations constantly. A great candidate could become available at any time. An employer can't predict what caliber of candidates will respond to a vacancy announcement. They could be weighing the relative costs of bringing a good new person in versus improving the skills of someone already familiar with the organisation.

OTOH, sometimes it isn't. They may have realized they don't know what they really need/want or that the candidates they hoped to attract didn't show up. So, they waffle. I'm sure you can imagine it could just be a deflection. A non-committal way NOT to admit why the position wasn't filled or a way to avoid saying directly no one was good enough.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:48 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,600,474 times
In the last company I worked with, it was required that all new positions interview at least one external candidate before filling the role with an internal candidate. There were multiple roles that were clearly going to be given to an internal candidate, but the hiring manager was forced due to company policy to interview one or more external candidates.

Just the way it is. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Keep interviewing. Expect nothing until the offer letter is in your hands.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,537,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post

Three examples

If that's the case than there should be an open position for the internal person's original job.

Wonder what would happen if someone said "OK, so there is a different vacant position, I would be interested in hearing about that".

Last edited by seain dublin; 05-02-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 04:26 PM

409 posts, read 870,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
In the last company I worked with, it was required that all new positions interview at least one external candidate before filling the role with an internal candidate. There were multiple roles that were clearly going to be given to an internal candidate, but the hiring manager was forced due to company policy to interview one or more external candidates.

Just the way it is. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Keep interviewing. Expect nothing until the offer letter is in your hands.
This. I was up for a job but the hiring manager had to interview outsiders first. The way the job ad was worded no one but me had the qualifications. I felt bad for the people interviewing but those were the hoops we had to jump thru

Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,358,031 times
It's indeed a slippery slope .

Our business runs the opposite . We need "fresh" meat.
Which really means...we want someone willing to take subpar pay..

I'd probably be straight up before wasting time and ask if they are hiring from within. That saves ya both.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:47 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,004,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Expect nothing.
Yep!! Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,926,678 times
yes.
not new, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment