U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 06:08 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times

Advertisements

Simple thought experiment: How old is this candidate? Are they 35? 45? 55?

KASEY BENSOM, PMP
Sometown, CA 91202 | 555.555.5555
email@somedomain.com

Summary of Qualifications

PROJECT MANAGER Specializing in Enterprise IT Implementations
PMP-certified project manager with experience providing cradle-to-grave management over large-scale IT implementations. Excel at liaising between business and technical areas to achieve on-time, on-budget and on-spec project completions. Able to merge customer and user needs with business requirements, budgetary restrictions and logistical considerations to meet project deliverables. Key skills:
  • Project Lifecycle Management
  • Enterprise Implementations
  • System Migrations
  • Requirements Definition & Analysis
  • Project Scheduling
  • Team Building & Leadership
  • Project Budgeting & Cost Controls
  • Quality Assurance

Professional Experience

Project Manager, Technology Implementation Group, 2012 to Present
ABC COMPANY, Sometown, CA
Provide project lifecycle leadership over all phases of enterprisewide IT implementations within a multistate, 6,500-user organization.
  • Promoted to project manager role to plan, schedule and execute all stages of enterprise software, hardware and system implementations. Assessed business implications for each project phase and monitored progress to meet deadlines, standards and cost targets.
  • Drove impressive improvements across the business as a result of IT implementations. Equipped ABC with solutions that accelerated the bidding process on architectural projects by 45%, shortened the sales cycle by 50%, increased cash collections by 35% and saved $1.2M annually.
  • Excelled in guiding the work of technical teams. Articulated project goals and scope, translated business needs into technical terms, prepared detailed work breakdown structures (WBS) and instilled shared accountability for achieving project milestones.
  • Created cost-benefit analyses and ROI assessments that were used as the basis for decision-making on proposed IT implementation projects.
  • Resolved numerous project issues including staffing shortages, tactical matters, scope creep and divergent business and user needs.
Network Administrator, 2010 to 2012
DEF COMPANY, Sometown, CA
  • Developed strong technical foundation as a network administrator within a 2,500-user, mixed-platform environment.
  • Optimized network uptime to 99.9%, led a major network upgrade, and improved systems security and reliability.

Education
XYZ UNIVERSITY Sometown, CA
Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems

Cerifications
Project Management Professional (PMP)

Technology Summary
MS Project, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Oracle, SQL Server, TCP/IP, SMTP, HTTP, FTP, DNS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 06:21 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
With only a nine-year job history, a degree and a PMP, she could be as young as 30. That the earliest job listed is somewhat senior, I'd add at least five years. Beyond that, it's a matter of prior employment and degree date.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:23 PM

1,665 posts, read 547,450 times
My immediate reaction? Young. It's a fairly thin resume. Early 30s.

The fact that they were hired at something other than a project manager, and were promoted sometime between 2012 and now, but are claiming to be a PM since 2012 is enough to make me pause on this person, honestly. It reads like a young person trying to beef up their resume.

Last edited by Lekrii; 05-02-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 05-02-2019, 06:55 PM

1,854 posts, read 713,275 times
Difficult to determine the age from the resume. But if I was a hiring manager, since there is no graduation date on the Bachelor's degree, I would feel that this person is trying to hide her age. I would immediately do a search of that person on the Internet and have her age on my computer screen in about a minute:

Kasey Bensom, Age 99

Old 05-02-2019, 08:03 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
It could be anything. Anyone can modify a resume.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:28 PM

6,838 posts, read 3,708,603 times
Insufficient data. Could be read either as someone lacking experience trying to puff up the resume to someone trying to downplay years of experience by leaving off job history and key dates. Actually I find the claims of success under the PM job as somewhat overplayed. Maybe I've become jaded by vaporware (it's not just for software anymore) but overall the whole thing is "off" to me.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 PM

736 posts, read 187,929 times

or 54 and changed careers

Old 05-02-2019, 11:51 PM

1,329 posts, read 825,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
But if I was a hiring manager, since there is no graduation date on the Bachelor's degree, I would feel that this person is trying to hide her age.
And why does a candidate's age matter? are they or are they not qualified?
Age shouldn't matter first pass.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:49 AM

736 posts, read 187,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
And why does a candidate's age matter? are they or are they not qualified?
Age shouldn't matter first pass.
An incredibly thin resume does matter though.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:28 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Difficult to determine the age from the resume. But if I was a hiring manager, since there is no graduation date on the Bachelor's degree, I would feel that this person is trying to hide her age. I would immediately do a search of that person on the Internet and have her age on my computer screen in about a minute:

Kasey Bensom, Age 99
In the real world, you must know that none of this is happening.

Nothing is REQUIRED on a resume. Leaving off any big of information is okay. Inclusion of information is optional. Leaving the date off the degree is common and doesn't raise eyebrows. Folks are leaving off their address nowadays for privacy reasons.

Initial scans of resumes get 30-60 seconds. No one is hunting down candidates ages.

So, all these claims of age discrimination based off of a submitted resume are questionable. Perhaps there were just better candidates who more closely aligned with the company's needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment