U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 01:14 PM

33,918 posts, read 42,175,279 times

Advertisements

I remember employees 40 years ago bitching when the company I worked for transitioned from an open office to cubicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 01:17 PM

5,471 posts, read 2,930,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
I don't think open floor plans are going away any time soon sadly. .
They are not going away. It is cheaper to have an open floor plan than individual offices. It is all about the $$$.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:27 PM

11,150 posts, read 8,559,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
They are not going away. It is cheaper to have an open floor plan than individual offices. It is all about the $$$.
I blame Dilbert. There was a series of popular Dilbert cartoons that lambasted cubicles. This bled into the cultural psyche that cubicles were bad. Management responded with open work spaces.

Google "Dilbert cartoons cubicle." Some of them are pretty funny. I still love a cubicle.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:38 PM

155 posts, read 76,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I hate feeling just an invisible wheel in the machine. Even if I am one, I prefer to have some respect.
Respect? lol. If you work for a publicly held corporation, respect is not applicable because it has nothing to do with a corporation's fiduciary duty to maximize shareholder value. You might get some respect if you work for a private company, a company owned by an individual, etc but that depends on the personality of the individuals owner(s).

Quote:
If the suits up there really think this open office hell boosts morale, they're wrong.
The suits don't care. Again, if you work for a publicly held corporation, employee morale isn't applicable unless it's a line item somewhere on the P&L. IMO dehumanizing the employee and reducing the experience to that of an inanimate object, means that you'll do what you are told, take what you get, and you won't complain. Or you know where the door is.

Quote:
It lowers morale as it causes even more gossiping and most such environments are toxic.
As long as the low morale and toxicity doesn't negatively impact earnings, nobody cares. If it does have a negative impact, expect a "re-org", "restructuring" or other "re-alignment" of these employees out the door to get profits back on track. Problem solved.

Quote:
And the work itself is so repetitive, it slowly tears away at your soul.
Nobody cares. If you don't like it, please turn in your resignation asap so payroll can get you off the books immediately which will reduce salary expense - at least for a short while.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-03-2019, 04:55 PM

777 posts, read 513,579 times
In the early-mid 1900's Frank Lloyd Wright designed the SE Johnson office building in Racine, Wisconsin with an open floor plan. And a cool lilypad ceiling layout. Open office design isn't new.

https://www.cnet.com/news/did-frank-...eatest-office/

And since it's a FLW design, the roof probably leaks, so be thankful your office doesn't.

Last edited by 919 rtp; 05-03-2019 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: error

Old 05-03-2019, 05:59 PM

1,844 posts, read 744,470 times
Work in a small business? You don't have to end up like an invisible cog in a machine. My office only has 8 people.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:15 PM

11,150 posts, read 8,559,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Work in a small business? You don't have to end up like an invisible cog in a machine. My office only has 8 people.
That's even worst. At least with a large company, you can have a measure of anonymity.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:25 PM

7,191 posts, read 2,954,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
What perspective? I hate feeling just an invisible wheel in the machine. Even if I am one, I prefer to have some respect. I'm ready to trade it for the lunch coupons. If the suits up there really think this open office hell boosts morale, they're wrong. It lowers morale as it causes even more gossiping and most such environments are toxic. And the work itself is so repetitive, it slowly tears away at your soul. I'd rather go sell used cars really as you meet clients on one on ones and it's more personal.
Just because the entrance to someone's workspace has a door doesn't mean they aren't still an invisible wheel in a machine. Building design has little to do with that.

OP you are in for a miserable working life if you don't change the attitude; or the profession. Mowing baseball fields might provide a reality check if you really get desperate. Most jobs get repetitive pretty quickly if you don't have any interest in doing the work and can't see past the present pay period. Your problem isn't the bullpen, its your definition (or lack) of future.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:37 AM

407 posts, read 149,928 times
You know how those huge open plan offices are called informally here? Chicken farms. As the people are arranged and treated like cattle.
Quote:
That's even worst. At least with a large company, you can have a measure of anonymity.
I don't like anonymity. If you have the right people, a small team/company is best. On the other hand, at big corporations, most of the people really have the high school mean mentality.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:59 AM

10,319 posts, read 4,884,746 times
I had a job once where I was the admin assistant responsible for all the behind the scenes stuff at a large church. I had my own office at first which was great but then as we grew they gave my office to the church counselor and myself and the bookkeeper found ourselves in the reception area in a bullpen type deal with soundproofing walls going halfway up. Unfortunately it siphoned all the surrounding noise right into our area and it was hard to concentrate.

Then because I was now in the open, staff and church members felt they could just sit and chat with us at any time. I wasn't assertive enough back then to tell them I didn't have time to chat. The only kind of job that makes sense to me to have a bullpen type of environment might be a call center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment