U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:29 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,150,257 times

Advertisements

There's only one way to avoid "open plan seating"... make it clear during the interview process you won't do it, and if they put you there, demand better seating or quit.

"But, then I won't get any jobs!" Yup... but you won't be in open seating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 10:29 AM

6,838 posts, read 3,708,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
The ladies next to me discussed periods last week. At their desks. During working hours. That's not at all work-related.
Well that. In the fall, Mondays and Fridays are about either last weekend's games or this weekend's games. March is 24/7 basketball. All times in between is every detail of every relative's medical issues (why do women constantly try to one up each other on "my medical problem is worse and more disgusting than yours?"). Or a detailed discussion of every child's every activity the day before, school work, games, etc.

I understand some level of socializing, but I don't know every detail of every person in the office's life on a daily basis.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:01 AM

37,949 posts, read 55,692,297 times
Quote:
Apparently with a Business degree it seems I'm somehow destined to these styles of bull pen office. It's like everyone and their grandma does it to save money. I don't like any open office with more than 25 people, that's my maximum (I'm used to it from school). But having 50+ people, it's annoying. I end up hating the job wight from the first week. It's like working in the middle of a train station waiting room all day, except even worse. And those typical white/gray walls and carpets... it's so sterile. I think cubicles sound not that bad in comparison lol. Yet, it has been so hard to find ANY job for my degree that has less than 30 people. What the hell's wrong with companies these days? If I knew I'll end up like this, I wouldn't study at a uni at all! The huge rooms with people at uni were bad enough. I miss my high school days when our classes were of about 20 people.
When you move up the ladder you will get your own office. Work on that. Get some specialty courses, valuable skills. Something that will get you promoted.
Or look for jobs in small companies.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:00 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I hear the ear plug solution a lot. Doesn't that go squarely against the whole purpose of an open office environment?

So the higher ups decide to move to an open office environment to force collaboration or whatever onto employees. They walk into this open floor and see that 90% of the people are wearing headphones/earplugs, I would think any reasonable person would notice and think "Wow, this forced collaboration really didn't work."

I've said it before and I'll say it again, higher ups are in round table meetings all day and think the rest of the worker bees below them do the same. They have no idea that many jobs require concentration, focus and quiet. Just shows the disconnect these people have with reality.
I don't need to be assaulted with a bunch of noise in order to collaborate. Most times, the goal is for people to feel free walking over to someone and ask a question instead of using email, etc.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:25 PM

407 posts, read 144,071 times
I think actually if cubicles are done right, they are the better option (tall and with enough lightning and fresh colors of the walls like yellow). Too bad virtually any big corporation in Europe has these farm-like open spaces. Now up to 10-15 people in an open office is one thing, it might be very productive and cozy. I thought of my 3 coworkers as family when we shared a room. But anything above 25 seems too much. If you have 50+ people at least have the decency to put cublicle-like separators between teams.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:45 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
I think actually if cubicles are done right, they are the better option (tall and with enough lightning and fresh colors of the walls like yellow). Too bad virtually any big corporation in Europe has these farm-like open spaces. Now up to 10-15 people in an open office is one thing, it might be very productive and cozy. I thought of my 3 coworkers as family when we shared a room. But anything above 25 seems too much. If you have 50+ people at least have the decency to put cublicle-like separators between teams.
You've never worked in NYC. I've seen open spaces with 100+ people.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:00 PM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't need to be assaulted with a bunch of noise in order to collaborate. Most times, the goal is for people to feel free walking over to someone and ask a question instead of using email, etc.
Oh I understand what they *think* the point of it is. The reality is that most people would still prefer to send an email. It's easier, faster and you'll have an audit trail of the answer in case anyone asks how/where/why you got a particular answer.

And let's not forgot the most important reason they'll still send an email, because having people constantly walking up to your desk peppering you with one-off questions is annoying and slows you down.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:11 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,467,637 times
I think your options are as follows:
1. Mention during the interview that you are adverse to an open floor layout and if it is one tell them you won't be able to work there. Or during the interview ask if you could see where you'd be sitting.
2. Accept an open office setting for now and work on improving yourself so that in the future you can reach management levels and have your own office.
3. As you suggested, go sell used cars, though I'd think you might hate that even more than an open office setting.

I wish I could get a job where I could work 80% at a desk and 20% out in the field. Or better yet, have enough money where I didn't have to worry what kind of job I had or if I even had a job at all, but that's not the reality right now. Just like it's not the reality that your profession wouldn't have open office seating. We all have to adjust and adapt to things we don't care for.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:04 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
Young people seem to love the open concept. Maybe it matches their TV shows and drama series...

One company I was with several years ago started off great, with cubicles, privacy, and a healthy amount of productivity and self-focus. Then they did a redesign with the open concept. It became everyone's in everyone else's business. Productivity went down, gossip and foolishness went up.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:17 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Young people seem to love the open concept. Maybe it matches their TV shows and drama series...

One company I was with several years ago started off great, with cubicles, privacy, and a healthy amount of productivity and self-focus. Then they did a redesign with the open concept. It became everyone's in everyone else's business. Productivity went down, gossip and foolishness went up.
I blame the tech companies for this ridiculous phenomenon. These open concepts work great if you sit around boardrooms collaborating about new ideas 24/7. For the rest of us, they're loud and obnoxious.

I worked in one about a decade ago and HATED it. You could hear everything and I mean everything....someone burped, you hear it. Someone chewing their food loudly, you hear it. Someone talking on their phone, you hear it. You need to get up to go #2, everyone sees you get up and walk into the restroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment