U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:28 AM

424 posts, read 212,109 times

Advertisements

Do you think the hidden underline reason for this is to save costs? I’ve wondered this as well. So far all the BS we hear about it encouraging dialogue the truth is it’s a lot cheaper than having a cube farm built.

People are WFH more and more at my office because they hate this open floor plan. We are “allowed” to work two days a week from home but I’ve noticed people are pushing the envelope. Something is going to give...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 12:30 PM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Do you think the hidden underline reason for this is to save costs? I’ve wondered this as well. So far all the BS we hear about it encouraging dialogue the truth is it’s a lot cheaper than having a cube farm built.

People are WFH more and more at my office because they hate this open floor plan. We are “allowed” to work two days a week from home but I’ve noticed people are pushing the envelope. Something is going to give...
Yes. By doing this you'll thin the heard, especially the more seasoned professionals who are likely making more money than their younger counterparts.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:08 PM

1,827 posts, read 738,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I've got an autoimmune condition. The resulting inflammation affects my thinking. I overreact to bull pen offices as it's stress. However, in smaller groups I'm rarely triggered and anti-inflammatory drugs help enough.

When I was sharing a room with 2-3 people I didn't feel as vulnerable and was more productive. In fact it's while working there that I had a sudden remission. I was back to my ambivert/even slightly extroverted self and even new clients coming to our place charged me.

However that was then. My thyroid goiter has grown larger after I've studied or worked at large halls with 50+ people.
Sounds more to me that you're just nervous around a lot of people, and that nervousness triggers your autoimmune condition.

I didn't read all the pages after this reply, but the bottom line is, try to look for a small biz. Maybe you'll feel more comfortable there.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:16 PM

2,052 posts, read 594,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
My thyroid goiter has grown larger after I've studied or worked at large halls with 50+ people.
There are definitely health effects to this, even for the average person.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 PM

23,989 posts, read 32,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When you move up the ladder you will get your own office. Work on that. Get some specialty courses, valuable skills. Something that will get you promoted.
Or look for jobs in small companies.
LOL...VPs don't even get an office at my company.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:42 PM

780 posts, read 202,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When you move up the ladder you will get your own office. Work on that. Get some specialty courses, valuable skills. Something that will get you promoted.
Or look for jobs in small companies.
Don't you find this a tad bit hypocritical though?

An open office is good enough for the underlings, but not good enough for directors, SVPs and above? It's interesting how at my office (which isn't entirely an 'open office') you'll see their office doors closed so they can focus on their work better. So they need the peace, quiet, and privacy, but everyone else doesn't?

It seems to me that open office is less of about producing more collaborative work environments than it is to give employees less of their own private work space. So in that case let's just call it what it is: a transparent work space so we can better monitor you.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:20 PM

6,838 posts, read 3,708,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Don't you find this a tad bit hypocritical though?

An open office is good enough for the underlings, but not good enough for directors, SVPs and above? It's interesting how at my office (which isn't entirely an 'open office') you'll see their office doors closed so they can focus on their work better. So they need the peace, quiet, and privacy, but everyone else doesn't?

It seems to me that open office is less of about producing more collaborative work environments than it is to give employees less of their own private work space. So in that case let's just call it what it is: a transparent work space so we can better monitor you.
Honestly, I don't think it's about monitoring employees. Frankly I don't give most management that much credit. Rather I think a lot of it comes from a. It's trendy and management loves to jump on the latest trend; and b. the architect and furniture sales firms do a magnificent pitch on how happy and productive everyone is in whatever concept they are trying to sell. Complete with CGI movies of how wonderful the office/lab/etc will lock and pictures of youthful, hip, modern workers happily changing the world.

Management buys trends and glitz over substance every day.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:18 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Honestly, I don't think it's about monitoring employees. Frankly I don't give most management that much credit. Rather I think a lot of it comes from a. It's trendy and management loves to jump on the latest trend; and b. the architect and furniture sales firms do a magnificent pitch on how happy and productive everyone is in whatever concept they are trying to sell. Complete with CGI movies of how wonderful the office/lab/etc will lock and pictures of youthful, hip, modern workers happily changing the world.

Management buys trends and glitz over substance every day.
Totally agree. One thing is for certain in Corporate America, 99% of management simply copy what they think has worked elsewhere. There are very few good/original ideas coming out of these people outside of some well known tech firms.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:43 AM

684 posts, read 248,421 times
Open floor layout office is much cheaper than cubicle offices. And it's much easier for the big bosses to sit in their closed door offices, behind the large smoked windows to watch their employees.

There's nothing you can do to avoid interruptions from people around you in such a workplace. No earplugs can help you to concentrate on your work. You only have two choices: to "fit" in or to leave.

When I watch the movie "The Circle", oh, how I hate to see the ones on the very top always talk and "encourage" (actually they were trying to force) employees to open themselves to the world by wearing a button sized camera on their chest (for the purpose to sell their product), so those two bosses and everybody else can see whenever, whatever they say and do, wherever they go at anytime, even in their bedrooms, except when they go to the washroom/bathroom they can take the camera off their chest; in that case, they can even know how many minutes you go to the washroom and how many times a day you go at work and at home. How disgusting. Meanwhile, those two big bosses don't wear that little button sized camera on their chest.

Yeah, the movie is fictional. But in this real world, lots of things are very close to that. The big shots just want to talk moral, to hide, and want to force the employees to open, so they can monitor everyone closely. They are narcissists, spies and hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment