U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 07:00 PM

1,700 posts, read 556,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Exactly correct. This is a discussion forum for people to disseminate their experiences and views. No one is supposed to be called out for "complaining". If one goes by this standard then just about any post here is automatically a complaint.
Everything wouldn't be a complaint. Complaints are by people who are mostly negative, and who don't give positive or constructive feedback.

There are many, many posts on this forum where people are constructive/helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
But it seems to be okay for employers to whine and complain that they can't find anyone to fill their jobs.

Double standard as usual.
Do you see a lot of employers complaining about not finding employees on this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 07:18 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,496,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Do you see a lot of employers complaining about not finding employees on this forum?
They complain elsewhere, inside their ivory towers. Places I worked, managers complained about it.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
They complain elsewhere, inside their ivory towers. Places I worked, managers complained about it.
sure, in certain circles people complain about anything. these forums lean pretty heavily anti-work/employer, though.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:33 PM

12,930 posts, read 8,756,659 times
Today, there's a serious class difference between ones that check all the checkboxes that employers want and too many people only check a few checkboxes and not enough to get the well paying job.

Even when employers today are willing to take someone that only checks 6/10 check boxes, they still can't find the right candidate for many unfilled job.

Here are the check boxes that I believe are attractive to employers today. These are generalizations.

• Female
  • Non-White
  • Hispanic
  • Black
  • Private College
  • 3 years+ pro experience
  • Credit Scores of 700+
  • Less than 43 years old.

There are many companies that knows their diversity rankings is horrible that is why they are just hiring anyone that check these check boxes I've listed.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 PM

8,641 posts, read 3,053,074 times
In theory, if you go through the screening agencies, which even the smallest companies seem to do these days, no diversity data is passed along except in aggregate. So checking, say, White Male on those forms should not affect their decision to call for an interview.

Of course, after that, and after you've signed BG check authorization, it's all downhill.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:45 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,921,939 times
Quote:
Everything wouldn't be a complaint. Complaints are by people who are mostly negative, and who don't give positive or constructive feedback.

It doesn't matter if it is on these forums or not. The fact is employers do complain about not being able to find people to fill their jobs.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:46 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,921,939 times
Quote:
sure, in certain circles people complain about anything. these forums lean pretty heavily anti-work/employer, though.

Gee, I wonder why?

Old 05-13-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Gee, I wonder why?
The same reason some employers complain instead of improving their companies: between improving oneself or complaining, it's easier to complain

Old 05-13-2019, 10:25 PM

1,864 posts, read 718,513 times
Quote:

I still see that just about everything would be a complaint by that standard. Even if someone offered a solution, it is still a complaint. You are complaining right now in this post, whether a potential solution is offered or not. Some problems don't have solutions, or are difficult to implement, or are beyond the power of the people involved to solve.

Complaints should be looked at as observations in informing readers of problems, whether solutions are offered or not. It is just the dissemination of information, and not merely negativity. It is every person's right to post their observations, whether they propose a solution or not and people should not be labeled as "complainers" simply because they are pointing something out. There are no rules in writing these posts. People will post what they want without having to adhere to your personal standards as to how they should post. It gives the impression that people who like to label don't want that information disseminated and have to try to use that label to ridicule or stifle the information that they don't want to hear.

Relax, it is just people posting information. If you don't like what they are saying, just don't read their posts and turn to something you like.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I still see that just about everything would be a complaint by that standard. Even if someone offered a solution, it is still a complaint. You are complaining right now in this post, whether a potential solution is offered or not. Some problems don't have solutions, or are difficult to implement, or are beyond the power of the people involved to solve.

Complaints should be looked at as observations in informing readers of problems, whether solutions are offered or not. It is just the dissemination of information, and not merely negativity. It is every person's right to post their observations, whether they propose a solution or not and people should not be labeled as "complainers" simply because they are pointing something out. There are no rules in writing these posts. People will post what they want without having to adhere to your personal standards as to how they should post. It gives the impression that people who like to label don't want that information disseminated and have to try to use that label to ridicule or stifle the information that they don't want to hear.

Relax, it is just people posting information. If you don't like what they are saying, just don't read their posts and turn to something you like.
I can respond however I want to a post as well. If you don't like what I am saying, don't read my posts, and turn to something you like.

It is people's right to complain. It's also other people's right to call them out for only complaining.
Complaints without advise or ways to improve is negativity, and should be labeled as such. It is not unhelpful (and actually harmful) to helping people improve their situations at a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or