U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2019, 02:52 PM
 
Location: In a vehicle.
5,020 posts, read 3,207,482 times
Reputation: 8203

Advertisements

Well, the students who might have wanted to work and the SAHM also aren't the types that can easily change shifts, days off and on and weekends...... Remember, the employer wants those willing to work, not show up when it's convenient for them to do so. That's more likely why they weren't getting work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2019, 04:10 PM
 
2,139 posts, read 524,377 times
Reputation: 3731
The NY Times is the nation's fishwrap-of-record. Might as well quote Nanci Pelosi and the DNC. It has little careful economic analysis, this article included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,283 posts, read 15,758,543 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Doesn't the U5 & U6 rate take discouraged workers ("Folks leaving the labor force") into consideration?? If what you are saying is true, how come U5 and U6 unemployed rates have been improving as well since 2011 (https://www.macrotrends.net/1377/u6-unemployment-rate)? :/

P.S. I am not pro/con any past and current president...
Discouraged workers are actually not included. U6 is under-employment or workers who are part-time but want to work full-time along with those that have looked in the past 12 months but haven't looked this past month. The U6 is historically double the traditional U3 unemployment number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 PM
 
606 posts, read 264,664 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Discouraged workers are actually not included. U6 is under-employment or workers who are part-time but want to work full-time along with those that have looked in the past 12 months but haven't looked this past month. The U6 is historically double the traditional U3 unemployment number.

You've lost me...


Quote:
What is {term}? U-6 Rate
The U-6 rate is the unemployment rate that includes discouraged workers who have quit looking for a job and part-time workers who are seeking full-time employment. The U-6 rate is considered by many economists to be the most revealing measure of a country’s unemployment situation since it covers the percentage of the labor force that is unemployed, underemployed and discouraged.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/u6-rate.asp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 06:06 PM
 
1,665 posts, read 547,450 times
Reputation: 3555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
From the article:
The government’s official definition of unemployment is relatively narrow. It counts only people actively looking for work, which means it leaves out many students, stay-at-home parents or others who might like jobs if they were available.
This isn't true though.

Does the author not know about measures of unemployment beyond U3? Even U6 today shows the job market as better than it has been in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,283 posts, read 15,758,543 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
They might be included in the U6 unemployment rate, but U6 does NOT add them. The U5 rate doesn't even add them to the unemployment rate (they take the U4 rate and adds marginally attached workers which are those that have looked for a job within the last year, but not within the last 4 weeks) while the U4 rate (a fairly uncommonly used unemployment rate) does and adds them to the traditional U3 rate. If you subtract the U3 rate from the U4 rate, you'd get the real value of discouraged workers. The U4 is nearly 0 these days (0.3 from the March data) while the U6 is MUCH higher at almost 3 above the U5. The discouraged worker these days are over-valued and the under-employed part-timers who want to be full-timers.

Sources:
https://www.investopedia.com/article...e-u6-vs-u3.asp
Unemployment Rate - US | Portal Seven
U-4 Unemployment Rate | Portal Seven
U-5 Unemployment Rate | Portal Seven
U6 Unemployment Rate | Portal Seven
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unempl...ployment_rates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 PM
 
606 posts, read 264,664 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
They might be included in the U6 unemployment rate, but U6 does NOT add them. The U5 rate doesn't even add them to the unemployment rate (they take the U4 rate and adds marginally attached workers which are those that have looked for a job within the last year, but not within the last 4 weeks) while the U4 rate (a fairly uncommonly used unemployment rate) does and adds them to the traditional U3 rate. If you subtract the U3 rate from the U4 rate, you'd get the real value of discouraged workers. The U4 is nearly 0 these days (0.3 from the March data) while the U6 is MUCH higher at almost 3 above the U5. The discouraged worker these days are over-valued and the under-employed part-timers who want to be full-timers.

Sources:
https://www.investopedia.com/article...e-u6-vs-u3.asp
Unemployment Rate - US | Portal Seven
U-4 Unemployment Rate | Portal Seven
U-5 Unemployment Rate | Portal Seven
U6 Unemployment Rate | Portal Seven
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unempl...ployment_rates
Dude.. read your own source. Discouraged works is included in the calculation starting at U4.

Quote:
They might be included in the U6 unemployment rate, but U6 does NOT add them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Does the author not know about measures of unemployment beyond U3? Even U6 today shows the job market as better than it has been in a long time.
Figures other than U3 are rarely reported, and has nothing to do with maintaining that all these figures are becoming detached from a changed economic/employment reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,283 posts, read 15,758,543 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Dude.. read your own source. Discouraged works is included in the calculation starting at U4.


Dude, I know what I wrote. I said we were both wrong and stated that they were included starting from the U4. Not U5, not U6, U4. I might not have fully said I was wra-wra-wra-wrong, but I explained that one, it was included but two is actually not as big of a chunk of unemployment as many thing. Well perhaps if they become fully discouraged and drop out of the labor force...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2019, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,283 posts, read 15,758,543 times
Reputation: 9858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Figures other than U3 are rarely reported, and has nothing to do with maintaining that all these figures are becoming detached from a changed economic/employment reality.
Indeed, the U3 is the most widely reported and second to that is U6 which was done a lot during the Obama years of recovery. This was often cited as the "Real unemployment rate" as was the LFPR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top