U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2019, 06:37 PM
 
613 posts, read 268,343 times
Reputation: 1477

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Unemployment for recent college grads is at an all time low. It's extremely easy for people with a degree, but no experience to find jobs.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2018/un....htm?view_full
Yea.. but Bobsell couldn't switch career from computer science to CPA though. Therefore, we are still in a recession and McJobs are the only jobs out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2019, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,635 posts, read 3,045,045 times
Reputation: 12889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Reality is the job market is better than it has been in decades, as is shown by measures of unemployment...
Not one argument there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Reputation: 27672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Yea.. but Bobsell couldn't switch career from computer science to CPA though. Therefore, we are still in a recession and McJobs are the only jobs out there
Even though the underlying job market may be good, this speaks to a problem.

Pigeonholing is common among IT workers. You worked this toolkit, that API, and that language over this many years and people think that is all you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 09:13 PM
 
3,410 posts, read 3,547,328 times
Reputation: 4857
MAGA supporters cling to the idea that the economy is at an all time high. Croc of bullsh*t. There are no more jobs than there were when Nosama was president. People will use whatever data they can to justify their political and personal beliefs.

Unless your in a high skilled white collar type of industry, you are in no better shape than you were five years ago. Stop it with the b.s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 09:25 PM
 
117 posts, read 64,291 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
If the job market were really awesome as they say it was, we would see:
... tons of entry level jobs that require no experience, so recent grads and career changers can get into..
Agree. I know couple pharmacists and lawyers are unemployed for a year now. They stay home watched TV everyday. Probably they are burning all their savings away. They don't want to work for minimum wage jobs.

Also couple computer science graduates I know still are working for minimum wage job at a local supermarket. Even computer science now is getting too saturated. Too many people are studying software programming trying to break into the field. Now the requirement for software developer entry level job is at least couple years. Some hiring managers said for every entry level software programming job at a good company, there are a thousand or two applicants.

But there are tons of low skill jobs here in NYC though like fast food workers, dishwashers, home care aides, hosts, customer services, stock boys, security guards, Uber drivers, food delivery guys.... I feel at least 30% of the economy is consist of gig jobs now. A lot of full time white collar jobs have been gone. They have been replaced by either by software automation or outsourced to other nations. Case in point, ATM machines have replaced a lot of bank employees.

Probably the gig economy has shrunk the unemployment rate. You just work couple gig jobs. You are counted as full time employee in the economic report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 09:30 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,672 posts, read 8,580,903 times
Reputation: 19868
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
MAGA supporters cling to the idea that the economy is at an all time high. Croc of bullsh*t. There are no more jobs than there were when Nosama was president. People will use whatever data they can to justify their political and personal beliefs.

Unless your in a high skilled white collar type of industry, you are in no better shape than you were five years ago. Stop it with the b.s.
The fact is, the GDP has never been as high as it is. $21.063 Trillion. So the economy has never been this large, and that's a fact.
In 2016 there were 151 million people working. Now there are 157 million. And that's a fact.


In order to make your comments stick, shouldn't you make an effort to disprove that?
MAGA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 09:42 PM
 
1,693 posts, read 554,655 times
Reputation: 3577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Even though the underlying job market may be good, this speaks to a problem.

Pigeonholing is common among IT workers. You worked this toolkit, that API, and that language over this many years and people think that is all you can do.
When you're rejected in career transitions, you take a step back and ask why you personally aren't doing correctly, and what you personally need to change in terms of skill, attitude, etc. to be right for the new role.

You don't blame the economy, the job market, etc. That has never once helped someone find a new job. It is not difficult in IT to find transferable skills. People need to learn to be self-critical, admit they might need to improve in some way, and learn to sell themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Not one argument there.
I'm not sure what the point in including the quote from that article in the OP then. It's not accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 10:04 PM
 
2,424 posts, read 693,558 times
Reputation: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Unemployment for recent college grads is at an all time low.
That's because when a college grad is working a Mcjob (due to getting hit with a catch-22) they're not counted as unemployed in the U3.

Duh.

Seriously. Do you have any idea what comprises the U3 unemployment rate?

And if someone is working a Mcjob to make ends meet and looking for a real job, you still think they're unemployed? Out. Of. Touch.

Quote:
It's extremely easy for people with a degree, but no experience to find jobs.
Yes, Mcjobs and sales jobs are EASY to find without experience.

But dare to look for a job in their major, the catch-22 is still there.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Yea.. but Bobsell couldn't switch career from computer science to CPA though. Therefore, we are still in a recession and McJobs are the only jobs out there
You know you are unable to actually maintain your point when you have to put words I never said in my mouth.

Seriously. You just blew any shred of credibility here. The temple of employer worshipers will be very cross with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Even though the underlying job market may be good, this speaks to a problem.

Pigeonholing is common among IT workers. You worked this toolkit, that API, and that language over this many years and people think that is all you can do.
There's also the problem that employers don't accept transferable skills in one field when they're looking for candidates in another field. That's why the pigeonholing happens.

You're an awesome dev, QA, or BA? And you get training in PM and try to get a PM job? Your PM experience in your previous roles don't count because you didn't have a PM job title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 10:09 PM
 
2,424 posts, read 693,558 times
Reputation: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post

Probably the gig economy has shrunk the unemployment rate. You just work couple gig jobs. You are counted as full time employee in the economic report.
The gig economy shrunk the unemployment rate because if you're working a part time gig, you're no longer counted as U3 unemployed.

What is the biggest problem is that every recession seems to go through this pattern:

* Tons of high paying middle class jobs that people worked hard to train, educate themselves, and upskill themselves to get, get sliced.
* when the economy recovers, tons of Mcjobs get created and good paying jobs take forever to get created.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/b...paid-ones.html

Quote:
The deep recession wiped out primarily high-wage and middle-wage jobs. Yet the strongest employment growth during the sluggish recovery has been in low-wage work, at places like strip malls and fast-food restaurants.
So what happens is that more and more people get stuck in Mcjobs and the usual suspects (employer worshipers) must think there is something wrong with the employers when in reality, structural unemployment has increased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2019, 10:14 PM
 
2,424 posts, read 693,558 times
Reputation: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
When you're rejected in career transitions, you take a step back and ask why you personally aren't doing correctly, and what you personally need to change in terms of skill, attitude, etc. to be right for the new role.

You don't blame the economy, the job market, etc. That has never once helped someone find a new job.
Of course, you believe it is 100% the candidate's fault. It is never ever anyone else's fault. Rock that hobby horse quicker, please.

Quote:
It is not difficult in IT to find transferable skills.
But it is hard to find employers who accept transferable skills. In addition, pigeonholing happens.

Quote:
People need to learn to be self-critical, admit they might need to improve in some way, and learn to sell themselves.
How does one sell themselves to an employer who refuses to hire people without experience (defined by job title)? That's a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top