U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-06-2019, 09:09 PM
 
2,410 posts, read 684,967 times
Reputation: 3394

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I'm making three times what I was ten years ago. I didn't stagnate myself. I didn't keep plodding through the same job, or same role, for a decade and expect to do better.

Learn a new skill. Find ways to apply existing skills to new problems, in new ways. Seek out more responsibility. Take some chances.
Yes, learn a new skill and get told you don't have experience in the new skill role so you get rejected.

Out. Of. Touch.

Quote:
The world has more than enough nine-to-fivers who show up, do their job, and go home. Those folks aren't particularly valuable. Rise above that mindset.
Unpaid overtime = corporate welfare.

Rise above that mindset.

the 1% love you. Are they paying you to post this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2019, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,560 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Reputation: 27607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I never mentioned certifications. How could you have communicated better? How did you answer interview questions? What mistakes did you make in building a list of people to network with before submitting a resume? (DID you even build lists of people to network with for specific companies before submitting resumes?) What did you say that rubbed an interviewer the wrong way, and how could you have presented yourself differently? What were they really looking for in a candidate, and how could you have tailored your resume differently?

Those are the questions you ask after every rejection. People hire people, not simply lists of certs.
The thing is that I had many interviews that I thought went very well, but they almost always had a more experienced candidate who had done the role they were interviewing for before. Sometimes you can pinpoint, but oftentimes it may not be anything that you personally did or didn't do. There may be nothing you can learn from the experience.

My official title is business analyst, but I also straddle more technical sides of things, as well as project management, but without an internal transfer to a PM role, I'd have a hard time selling any PM experience I have.

I live in the middle of nowhere in northeast Tennessee. My network is mostly from a previous job I held in Indianapolis in the fintech industry, as well as my local contacts, and clients/vendors at both jobs. Local contacts really aren't going to be that helpful if I want to move to Raleigh or Nashville. My network isn't going to get me a job at Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 09:49 AM
 
3,721 posts, read 3,917,788 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Yes, learn a new skill and get told you don't have experience in the new skill role so you get rejected.

Out. Of. Touch.



That's what some don't seem to realize. The point is going right over their heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 09:58 AM
 
780 posts, read 202,959 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Yes, learn a new skill and get told you don't have experience in the new skill role so you get rejected.

Out. Of. Touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
That's what some don't seem to realize. The point is going right over their heads.
Neither of you are necessarily wrong. However, it's a matter of finding those who will take you on and help cultivate your newly learned skill under their tutelage. Those managers/employers do exist out there. In fact, if it weren't for managers like that, I wouldn't have moved up in my career. You just need to find the right fit.

Don't keep hitting your collective heads against the wall about those folks who say "get a new skill" but then remind you that you have no experience with said new skill. There are a lot of dumb people out there who simply don't understand the contradiction of this advice. The key is to ignore them, and to find those who are willing to take a chance on you and your new skills. They exist, sometimes it just takes a little time to find them. Your upside is that you'll be cheaper and they can mold you how they wish rather than break you of bad habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 10:24 AM
 
1,674 posts, read 548,866 times
Reputation: 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The thing is that I had many interviews that I thought went very well, but they almost always had a more experienced candidate who had done the role they were interviewing for before. Sometimes you can pinpoint, but oftentimes it may not be anything that you personally did or didn't do. There may be nothing you can learn from the experience.

My official title is business analyst, but I also straddle more technical sides of things, as well as project management, but without an internal transfer to a PM role, I'd have a hard time selling any PM experience I have.

I live in the middle of nowhere in northeast Tennessee. My network is mostly from a previous job I held in Indianapolis in the fintech industry, as well as my local contacts, and clients/vendors at both jobs. Local contacts really aren't going to be that helpful if I want to move to Raleigh or Nashville. My network isn't going to get me a job at Facebook.
There is never a situation where you can learn nothing from going through an interview. How much of the project management skillsets do you have called out on your resume?

What kind of networking do you do to sell yourself as a PM before submitting your resume? What plan do you have in place to expand your network?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,586 posts, read 3,010,942 times
Reputation: 12809
Some sidelights from The Krug.

Even he sees a disconnect between the official - and generally unchallenged - numbers and the broader reality. When NP winners are seeing problems, it's probably worth paying attention to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2019, 07:39 AM
 
3,721 posts, read 3,917,788 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Neither of you are necessarily wrong. However, it's a matter of finding those who will take you on and help cultivate your newly learned skill under their tutelage. Those managers/employers do exist out there. In fact, if it weren't for managers like that, I wouldn't have moved up in my career. You just need to find the right fit.

Don't keep hitting your collective heads against the wall about those folks who say "get a new skill" but then remind you that you have no experience with said new skill. There are a lot of dumb people out there who simply don't understand the contradiction of this advice. The key is to ignore them, and to find those who are willing to take a chance on you and your new skills. They exist, sometimes it just takes a little time to find them. Your upside is that you'll be cheaper and they can mold you how they wish rather than break you of bad habits.



That is easier said than done.


But at least you are willing to admit that it isn't as easy as gaining new skills and then getting a new job is a done deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2019, 07:42 AM
 
12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Reputation: 19088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Some sidelights from The Krug.

Even he sees a disconnect between the official - and generally unchallenged - numbers and the broader reality. When NP winners are seeing problems, it's probably worth paying attention to.
The Krug wouldn't like anything Trump proposed, he has the same Trump Derangement Syndrome that has overtaken much of the media. He used to be a credible economist although I didn't agree with everything he suggested. Now he's simply another liberal op-ed writer for the media. He often contradicts himself (saying Obama stimulus plan was too small, now saying Trumps is too large. arguing that China's trade policy is unfair, now since Trump has taken over that cause he is silent about it). He's just hard to take seriously anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2019, 09:20 AM
 
684 posts, read 182,893 times
Reputation: 1082
I have seen jobs posted for $9.00 an hour. If that indicates a booming economy we are doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2019, 09:27 AM
 
780 posts, read 202,959 times
Reputation: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
That is easier said than done.


But at least you are willing to admit that it isn't as easy as gaining new skills and then getting a new job is a done deal.
No, I completely get it. You're up against a lot of resistance. Especially if nothing particularly stands out about you. Which, let's face it, that's the vast majority of us. Very few of us are elite super stars in our field, though some like to think they are due to lack of self-awareness.

But hell, if I can do it, I'm confident that many of you can do it, as you seem like intelligent enough people. A lot of it boils down to persistence; keeping at it until you do succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top