Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2019, 06:03 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Exactly. The purpose of human speech and language (and internet forums) is to resolve problems that hurt people. Resolution of problems start with bringing the problems to attention, and discussing why and how it is a damaging problem.
Agreed. That also assumes the end goal is resolution, which is why it's valuable to differentiate between only discussing problems, and discussing problems with the intent on presenting potential solutions. Discussing the problems alone without getting to potential resolutions is not helpful to a job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Agreed. That also assumes the end goal is resolution, which is why it's valuable to differentiate between only discussing problems, and discussing problems with the intent on presenting potential solutions. Discussing the problems alone without getting to potential resolutions is not helpful to a job search.
That's a nice rule, but for the most part posters here have problems and haven't been given any useful solutions. Well, other than endless injunctions to Go Network.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
That's a nice rule, but for the most part posters here have problems and haven't been given any useful solutions. Well, other than endless injunctions to Go Network.
Networking leads to 70-80% of hires, and it's something that can be structured, planned, and worked at a few hours every week. Why would anyone think it's not one of the best uses of a person's time when job hunting?

Old 05-16-2019, 10:01 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Networking leads to 70-80% of hires, and it's something that can be structured, planned, and worked at a few hours every week. Why would anyone think it's not one of the best uses of a person's time when job hunting?
I got my very first job out of college through a network. I've also gotten every job in my hometown by virtue of who I know/family name. With that said, it's much more difficult to network in an area where I know no one than in a place where I have an unusual last night, and where my family has lived since they moved from the Virginia coast.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:10 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Well, you've been told about fifty times that it's a great idea, and at least a dozen of us have pointed out the flaws in your simple notion of how to do it. 'Nuf sed.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Well, you've been told about fifty times that it's a great idea, and at least a dozen of us have pointed out the flaws in your simple notion of how to do it. 'Nuf sed.
About a dozen times I've described how to make lists of target companies, how to research people you want to talk to in those companies, and how to put a disciplined plan together on how to build your network.

I've asked how many hours/week you put into those kind of efforts, and I have yet to get a response. Networking does not happen overnight, and it's not just talking to old co-workers. It's something you plan out and dedicate time to when you're searching for a job.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
It's something you plan out and dedicate time to when you're searching for a job.

I would suggest it is something people should be spending a little time on even when not searching for a job. Having that network established before looking pays dividends.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:32 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
I said we should call out people who do not offer solutions,
Like you, who only rails against the candidates/employees and thinks that employers never do anything wrong?

You've been asked about how to deal with the catch-22, zero solutions provided by you. But you think that employers putting that catch-22 is a good thing.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Precisely.

Networking doesn't work the way he says.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_E View Post
@Bobsell....
-Lekrii (or any other poster) is not saying the job market is perfect.
Lekrii always blames the candidates and employees and preaches employer infallibility. If there's a problem, it is 100% the fault of the employee/candidate. The employer never does anything wrong.

Quote:
-No one here think you can just waltz into a company and get a job.
Except the out of touch ones who got their job 30 years ago and managed to keep it, posting here acting like everything is rainbows and unicorns.

Except for those who got lucky.

Quote:
-Everyone seem to agree that there are a lot unfairness in the hiring process.
Not for those preaching employer infallibility.

Quote:

Reading your posts (from various threads), it's like you are looking for someone to tell you an exact step-by-step formula that you can implement to guarantee the position your desire. There isn't one.
No, what I'm looking for is "if you think it is that easy, why do you think people have problems, who follow your steps?" Their attitude is "employers never do anything wrong, it is is 100% your fault."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment