U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:11 AM

57 posts, read 48,249 times

Advertisements

I have come upon an opportunity for work that requires a lot of traveling. I would be away from home for 3 months at a time and staying in hotels that the company would pay for. I could jump from job site to job site if I so choose and would spend at most a few weeks between hotels.

I'm single, no kids, currently rent, and don't own too many worldly possessions.

I was thinking of getting a van and just living out of the van when not in a hotel. I would save money by not paying rent and I don't want to worry about upkeep on a home when I wouldn't even see it the majority of the year.

The questions is, how/where do I claim income taxes? I believe I need an address, but if I don't want an address then what do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 12:00 PM

8,585 posts, read 3,010,942 times
"Away from home" implies you have one. That would be your legal domicile and address. If it's something like parents, use it as your permanent address.

State taxes would have to be paid in whichever state you earn the money, and reported in your home state.

Generally, the only issue of residence is state taxes. If you live in Kansas and job-travel all over Nebraska, it doesn't really matter what cities or locations in NB.

There are specific IRS rules about "residence," down to (I believe) days of presence in each location. They wouldn't affect federal taxes but would determine apportioning of state taxes.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:10 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDroz View Post

I would be away from home for 3 months at a time...where do I claim income taxes?
Your home address

Old 05-04-2019, 12:32 PM

57 posts, read 48,249 times
I realize now I wasn't very clear on this....

What I am planning to do is to no longer have an apartment or a home and just live out of a van when I am between job sites.

So if I don't have an address, then where and how do I pay taxes?

Old 05-04-2019, 12:43 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,313,224 times
Well, you're going to have to get mail SOMEWHERE. Personally I'd rent a PO Box, and let that be your address of record.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:49 PM

5,020 posts, read 3,209,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, you're going to have to get mail SOMEWHERE. Personally I'd rent a PO Box, and let that be your address of record.
This will work till the "True ID" act comes out in full force. Then you'll have to have a "Valid" residential address. But that will also depend on if you're going to do some flying. If it's all driving then I doubt it will affect you that greatly. Frankly I have one address I use for my license (Homeless shelter advocacy group) and a second for my private mail and packages.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:55 PM

8,585 posts, read 3,010,942 times
Quote:
You'll pay sales taxes at any counter you buy something.

You'll pay no property taxes since you don't own taxable RE.

You'll pay vehicle taxes wherever your van is registered.

You'll pay federal income tax no matter what.

You'll pay state income tax based on wherever you earn the money, unless it's in a different state from what you declare/can prove/statutorially establish as your residence - which often boils down to which state issues your vehicle registration and driver's license. If you earn money in more than one state, you will have to file two apportioned returns.

You are going to have to have some kind of fixed/mail-receipt address for car registration, driver's license, car insurance and many other issues besides tax filing. A PO Box central to your roaming region, perhaps with a friend or family who can check it regularly, is probably the best option.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:19 PM

2,148 posts, read 527,667 times
Quote:
I realize now I wasn't very clear on this....

What I am planning to do is to no longer have an apartment or a home and just live out of a van when I am between job sites.

Your van will exist somewhere. The following is a few years old, but should give you some insight.

https://bakertilly.com/insights/dual...dual-taxation/
Although the rules vary among states, generally speaking, most states define a “resident" as an individual who is in the state for other than a temporary or transitory purpose. States consider a person’s “domicile" to be the place of his or her permanent home to which he or she intends to return to whenever absent from the state for a period of time.
Moreover, your employer requires that they know of which state you are a resident so they can withhold income taxes and forward them to the state's income tax authority.

You will need to file non-resident state income tax returns in each of the states in which you work, plus a resident state income tax return in the state you claim as your domicile. There is not a single rule for this - multiple states can assert you are its resident for state income tax purposes and hence you must file a resident return in each. In general, you want to avoid that if you can.

https://blog.rapidtax.com/can-resident-two-states-time/

Quote:
Yes, it is possible to be a resident of two different states at the same time, though it’s pretty rare. One of the most common of these situations involves someone whose domicile is their home state, but who has been living in a different state for work for more than 184 days. In a situation like this it is conceivable that you could be the resident of two states.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 05-04-2019 at 03:30 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 03:22 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,772,713 times
I saw your post on the NH forum.

If you're not familiar with Bob Wells and Cheap RV Living, you should probably join the forum and start watching his videos. He has been van living for many years and can answer just about any question you have. Here is a link to a video from March, 2017, called "Where to Make your State Residence and How to Do it":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jntF...index=2&t=143s

Here is a link to that video in a playlist called: "State Residence, Mail Forwarding and Drivers License for Nomads": https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Ga5EXtLPCPlYLp

Bob hosts an event every January called the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in Quartzsite, Arizona. He did a video on the same subject there in 2018 which may contain other/updated information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umoLxwRiPNU

Here is a link to the Cheap RV Living forum (don't let the name fool you, the site is really mostly people living in/wanting to live in vans): https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/ Any info in the videos that is outdated is usually updated there.

A warning - Bob is famous for rambling on and on, but you will get the info you need. His YouTube channel covers people living in just about anything, including cars and tents. Just FYI, I haven't watched these particular videos because I'm not interested in the information they contain.

These videos will lead you down an incredible rabbit hole of van living YouTubers. Many are fun and interesting to watch.

Best of luck.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:26 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,885,378 times
I would set up "residency" in a state with no income tax.

https://axleaddict.com/rvs/Full-Time...tate-Residency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or