U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 06:04 PM

3,247 posts, read 842,766 times

Advertisements

My uncle has his green belt and a high school diploma. Currently a VP at a national paper products company. Hint: NOT Dunder Mifflin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 06:31 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
My uncle has his green belt and a high school diploma. Currently a VP at a national paper products company. Hint: NOT Dunder Mifflin.
Certification and education level are not related.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:42 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Old 05-05-2019, 08:17 PM

1,665 posts, read 547,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What does that have to do with the comment you replied to?

Old 05-06-2019, 05:37 AM

51,859 posts, read 41,758,040 times
6-sigma was a much bigger deal a while back when it was GE doing it and before they lost their luster as "the way you run companies".

Like anything, it can be done well or not. *shrug*

P.S. This is not new although the process may have evolved some. I first heard about in the 1980's.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:48 AM

517 posts, read 624,141 times
Well we can see how far it got Motorola who started it who is dead in cell phones or out of that business. If you see a Motorola phone now it is a Lenovo phone. Maybe they should have stayed away from Google, let their R&D bring products that had been started in R&D run to production, instead of constantly try to process improve..... There is a Motorola now that makes other things but not cell phones.

Have people made use of it and other process improvement tools? Things can improve with common sense too and most often do. Sometimes a little tiny philosophy behind these things helps, but if it is about selling the philosophy too much the company is on the path to going out of business like Motorola because instead of making things (making things brings in money) they are selling philosophy. Things like this became about bragging and buzz wording (Lean, Kaizen, 6s) or selling philosophy instead of products.

Can it help you as an employee to get certified in these kinds of things? Yes as long as there are management fads you can impress management so it can be useful to you.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:49 AM

12,258 posts, read 18,390,529 times
Six Sigma has sort of fallen out of favor with our company. Like someone said - it was a fad, now onto something new. I think there was also a study done a few years ago showing that companies that embraced Six Sigma LOST money as a whole. It did not help them.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:16 AM

4,068 posts, read 2,933,728 times
It's absolute nonsense. Corporate goble-dy-goo that I had to suffer through for several weeks. In the end, if someone asked me what it was all about I honestly couldn't even tell you. When I see people list this on their resume/LinkedIn I eyeroll it because I know it's truly meaningless.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:27 AM

8,619 posts, read 8,523,848 times
Cat Germany uses it big time. Their Project Managers are all Black Belts. Frankly I don't think it helped them on the last 2 multi million dollar projects we partnered on. They came here spouting off this and that and I did old school PM and both projects came in at or under budget...............

Old 05-06-2019, 06:31 AM

1,541 posts, read 399,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk1234 View Post
Does it help advance your career or is it just a fad or gimmick?
It greatly depends on the specific organization and if they value it. Another employer might not put it in the job description and not care about it.

If you truly want to see how to advance in the current company, look at the skills and experiences of the people in the positions you want for yourself in the future. See what they have, and that is usually the best indication if that's what the company values. For example, if there are no head research positions without a PhD, then you need a PhD. If there are no head of development positions without a Master's degree in CS, then that's what you need to do too. But like I said, for that specific organization.

If the employer is encouraging you to do this, such as paying for it, allowing time off to study and attend, and give you a bonus for completing it, then if you plan to stay with the company long term then it would be a good thing to do. It won't ever be negative if you take a job elsewhere to list that you have it, but don't expect every employer to desire that skill.

Last edited by rummage; 05-06-2019 at 07:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or