U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 09:15 PM

6,839 posts, read 3,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, what I said was they are separate methodologies. If you read that person's post, it sounded like they were implying that their company went from using Six Sigma to using Agile. That's not a linear progression. Now, if they said they used Six Sigma and then added in Agile, that would make sense.
Linear? None of this is linear.

Let's see, we MBO'd around the Quality Circle. Then TQM'd our SPC. Dove headfirst into ISO (bonus points -- what does ISO stand for?) and came up dog paddling with AS9000. Side slipped into Six Sigma. And we would be circling the Agile drain but we are still working on the waterfall chart to implement DOE.

And somewhere in all that someone should have given me a PhD in Blackbelt BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 09:32 PM

21 posts, read 3,692 times
My last major employer had over 300,000 employees and used the sigma black belt regimen daily. Us regular working humans thought it to be a folly, god forbid that management spend their time actually solving problems rather than spending $800,000 taping off an area for garbage cans.

I was in charge of a 21 person maintenance crew and was told by a splif-iso that I had to keep the maintenance shop so clean that it would have been impossible to do our work.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:00 PM

3,247 posts, read 844,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYpodunk View Post
My last major employer had over 300,000 employees and used the sigma black belt regimen daily. Us regular working humans thought it to be a folly, god forbid that management spend their time actually solving problems rather than spending $800,000 taping off an area for garbage cans.

I was in charge of a 21 person maintenance crew and was told by a splif-iso that I had to keep the maintenance shop so clean that it would have been impossible to do our work.
Newly minted black belts, much like a freshly printed stack of new rules, are so rough around the edges you're dying from paper cuts (micromanagement) before you get any real work done.

The GOOD ones, the ones with tact, can lead in front of the book without it being so painfully obvious that "we HAVE to do things this way because ______ discipline SAYS we must!".

Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 AM

1,674 posts, read 548,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, what I said was they are separate methodologies. If you read that person's post, it sounded like they were implying that their company went from using Six Sigma to using Agile. That's not a linear progression. Now, if they said they used Six Sigma and then added in Agile, that would make sense.
You missed that person's point then.

They were giving a checklist of different buzzword methodologies their company has tried, saying if a company is paying for you to get those certifications, you might as well do it.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:05 PM

994 posts, read 380,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYpodunk View Post

Guessing GE? They should have used a little Six Sigma when selecting Immelt. What a ****ing train wreck for the company.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:22 PM

4,532 posts, read 2,315,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Everything from the ISO 9000 standards to all the modern Six Sigma, lean, agile etc. blah blah blah business practices are essentially employer-benefiting BS.

Many businesses can stand some tightening up and efficiency, but turning it into a religious battle is just complete nonsense.
yeah agile manifesto sounds kinda' culty to me.

also, tranzlating existing concepts into lofty jargon like:
flow chart / block diagram -> value stream
service requests -> storys, epics, features, capabilitys
project manager -> enabler
release -> program increment
project -> a.r.t.
application developers -> devops
meetings -> scrum
team lead -> scrum master
fifo/sjf queue -> weighted shortest job first

makes it seem like they are trying self-import.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 05-11-2019 at 04:53 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 09:46 PM

2,372 posts, read 2,390,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You missed that person's point then.

They were giving a checklist of different buzzword methodologies their company has tried, saying if a company is paying for you to get those certifications, you might as well do it.
Thanks, exactly right. This was over a period of 15 years with changes in methodology being driven by new leadership and new business goals. Also, the Agile was brought in by a newly formed devops department (as it makes sense for their business processes), but the rest of us in IT are being indoctrinated into Agile so we can better interface with the new team (not because it necessarily makes sense for our current working practice).

In any case, if the company is funding the training, might as well take it. I will say that, obviously, the people with the most power with the new methodology are the early adopters, if you are late on the train, you will have the knowledge but the "experts" in the company will already be established. [This gives them some level of power while that methodology is in play, but will often make them first out the door when the company pivots. At least that's what happened to our Six Sigma and ADP when those methodologies fell of favor within IT.]

Old 05-13-2019, 06:29 AM

1,036 posts, read 785,471 times
I'm having difficulty understanding a couple of aspects of the 6 Sigma program (or any of the other programs for that matter).

What did these people do at their jobs prior to becoming 6 Sigma Black Belts?
Who is doing the work they used to do?

Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 AM

4,532 posts, read 2,315,365 times
^ at my job, my whole department had to travel for 5-day safw/agile training. we are now doing the same exact job as last year. maybe a few persons put in insignificant process improvements (we have multiple locations including off-shores so we cant even practice full agile methodology anyways). a few agile scrum teams have been formed; but, most of us is the same day-to-day status quo.

now the company can brag about how 95% percent of our workforce is safw/agile 4.5 certified to our customers.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM

6,839 posts, read 3,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I'm having difficulty understanding a couple of aspects of the 6 Sigma program (or any of the other programs for that matter).

What did these people do at their jobs prior to becoming 6 Sigma Black Belts?
Who is doing the work they used to do?
In our case these things are additional duties. No one stops doing their normal job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or