U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 AM

4,271 posts, read 3,121,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Linear? None of this is linear.

Let's see, we MBO'd around the Quality Circle. Then TQM'd our SPC. Dove headfirst into ISO (bonus points -- what does ISO stand for?) and came up dog paddling with AS9000. Side slipped into Six Sigma. And we would be circling the Agile drain but we are still working on the waterfall chart to implement DOE.

And somewhere in all that someone should have given me a PhD in Blackbelt BS.
haha, this is sooooooo true. I remember at one point asking a colleague what in God's name they were talking about and she had no idea. That whole stupid "class" may as well have been in Chinese. No use for any of that nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 08:41 PM

37 posts, read 26,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I'm having difficulty understanding a couple of aspects of the 6 Sigma program (or any of the other programs for that matter).

What did these people do at their jobs prior to becoming 6 Sigma Black Belts?
Who is doing the work they used to do?
This is My thinking EXACTLY!
From what I've learned and understand ... you're still doing your hired job, venturing into a six sigma process improvements are just ADDED responsibilities to your workload. Just another hat you are wearing at your job.

My company and other corporations I've heard have actually hired an actual 6 sigma black belt as an employee (or possibly an outside contractor/consultant) to help with process improvements, not sure how successful these individuals are as an employee or as a career!

Anyone knows?

Old 09-24-2019, 07:00 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,114,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk1234 View Post
My company is pursuing ISO certification this year.

For those who don't know:
ISO 9001 is defined as the international standard that specifies requirements for a quality management system (QMS). Organizations use the standard to demonstrate the ability to consistently provide products and services that meet customer and regulatory requirements. It is the most popular standard in the ISO 9000 series and the only standard in the series to which organizations can certify.

ISO 9001 was first published in 1987 by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), an international agency composed of the national standards bodies of more than 160 countries. The current version of ISO 9001 was released in September 2015.

My company is encouraging many staff to enter into a Six Sigma program to eventually receive their Black Belt. https://asq.org/cert/six-sigma-black-belt

Anyone have any experience with this certification?????
Does it help advance your career or is it just a fad or gimmick?
It does help your career depending on what you do for a living. There are a number of jobs in my field (supply chain) that prefer a green belt and or and MBA. I'm often told by the recruiter that they filtered for those things and that's how they found me.

That said, while six sigma has it's merits, and contains some good "tools" that are applicable for problem solving, the companies that use it as their primary operating system (Honeywell for instance) have taken it too far.

When I was at Honeywell, doing lean/six sigma became more important than actually doing ones job. I kid you not, we were audited (as office workers mind you) for having all our drawers labeled in the same font, having outlines on our desk for things like our stapler, carrying around our "standard work" for the day, etc. It was so out of hand. My veteran coworker opened up his cabinet to show me all the fads the company had gone through (TQM, lean, Six Sigma, etc.) and how essentially none were that different.

It felt like while the competition was designing new aerospace sensors, we at Honeywell were stuck labeling our desk in the same font

Old 09-24-2019, 09:13 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,224,731 times
My company is filled with these karate belts. LOL. Doesn’t seem to be of any use. The company has been on operational mess with high turnover and a plethora of operational inefficiencies all over the place and lost business for the last 3-4 years now

Old 09-28-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
My company is filled with these karate belts. LOL. Doesn’t seem to be of any use. The company has been on operational mess with high turnover and a plethora of operational inefficiencies all over the place and lost business for the last 3-4 years now
Ha, Karate Belts! Good one.

Chatting with my coworkers who came from many different industries, what you said seems to be the underlying sentiment. Implementing a 6 sigma culture can be detrimental and ultimately useless if not properly funded, supported by the leadership or well managed.

For example, in a recession like what happened in 2008 - companies are not going to fund any 6 sigma projects when they are struggling to keep their business afloat, in addition to downsizing their workforce.
Those who were hired as Six Sigma staff (and only in that role) would be LAID OFF especially when the current staff they have would be given additional workload, wearing multiple hats and working longer hours just to compensate the staff that were let go. These staff are not going to want more work and take on more responsibilities being part of an 6 sigma improvement project.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:36 PM

7,122 posts, read 3,924,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It does help your career depending on what you do for a living. There are a number of jobs in my field (supply chain) that prefer a green belt and or and MBA. I'm often told by the recruiter that they filtered for those things and that's how they found me.

That said, while six sigma has it's merits, and contains some good "tools" that are applicable for problem solving, the companies that use it as their primary operating system (Honeywell for instance) have taken it too far.

When I was at Honeywell, doing lean/six sigma became more important than actually doing ones job. I kid you not, we were audited (as office workers mind you) for having all our drawers labeled in the same font, having outlines on our desk for things like our stapler, carrying around our "standard work" for the day, etc. It was so out of hand. My veteran coworker opened up his cabinet to show me all the fads the company had gone through (TQM, lean, Six Sigma, etc.) and how essentially none were that different.

It felt like while the competition was designing new aerospace sensors, we at Honeywell were stuck labeling our desk in the same font
Had to laugh at this because I've worked at places that worried about how many thumb tacks were used to hang things on the bulletin board and the like. One time we spent a fortune developing processes for everything. The front office secretary showed me the checklist the consultants came up with for scheduling time on the boss's calendar. Old process: Call the secretary, she finds time on his calendar, and she writes it in. New process: 27 steps and several phone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk1234 View Post
Ha, Karate Belts! Good one.

Chatting with my coworkers who came from many different industries, what you said seems to be the underlying sentiment. Implementing a 6 sigma culture can be detrimental and ultimately useless if not properly funded, supported by the leadership or well managed.

For example, in a recession like what happened in 2008 - companies are not going to fund any 6 sigma projects when they are struggling to keep their business afloat, in addition to downsizing their workforce.
Those who were hired as Six Sigma staff (and only in that role) would be LAID OFF especially when the current staff they have would be given additional workload, wearing multiple hats and working longer hours just to compensate the staff that were let go. These staff are not going to want more work and take on more responsibilities being part of an 6 sigma improvement project.
The real issue with all these different systems is they are all good when used for what they were designed for in the function they were meant to do. The problem happens when too many in management start flinging all the buzz words around in functions where they have no meaning.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:33 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,224,731 times
So many places are understaffed as is today. People just want to go put their 8-9 hours in and go home. The LAST THING employees want to do is worry about corporate buzzwords and BS management mantras.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 91 times
My company had brought in an actual Six Sigma Black Belt on its payroll to help shape and mold a culture of process improvement.
Mod cut. was this guy's name, he may have had the ASQ certifications but completely lack our industry product-knowledge relevance.
His people skills was very questionable, if not lacking.
If Mod cut. was a representation of what a career in Six Sigma would look like, I would advise everyone to never enter this field. A Six Sigma Black Belt managerial position is not a prized position.
Good leadership, although a challenge, is needed to align and implement process improvements but there has to be an empathetic human side in the methodology and delivery. One is dealing with a diverse mix of staff with different positions, vast backgrounds, skillsets and even years of employment and there is no one universal six sigma formula or solution that is applicable to the same problem. A cultural change in any workplace is not all objective, there is always an underlying subjective bias beneath the visible and no one can shape and mold this subjective without understanding the personalities and behaviors involved - and it can work against you if not handled properly.

Mod cut. comes in and we (also managers) found him to be this obnoxious, inflated, "I'm right, you're wrong", pompous, arrogant, egomaniac.
He had such delusion of grandeur about himself, it was nauseating.
He wasn't much of a leader in his position but more of a mob boss and bully.
He prized and often cheered about his PMP certification.
PMP stands for Project Management Professional but among us who had worked with him, PMP stands for "Permanent Man's Period". PMP are men who gets a permanent period (similar to women) which leads to constant non-stop complaining, nagging & bitchiness!

Mod cut. came into our company and within a year - he left. Poof! Gone!
For someone who is so confident of himself, who puts himself on a pedestal everyday to work, he did not leave any positive marks.
No legacy. No happy ending.
The other day, fellow co-workers and I talked about Mod cut. and we decided to look him up online.
We found his LinkedIn page and reviewed it.

OMG, if anyone is considering a career as a Six Sigma Project Manager, you may think twice after looking at this man's resume. In a span of 20 years, Bill had worked for 12 different companies (and I believe not one as a consultant). This is not a stable genius.
In linkedin, look up Mod cut.

Senior Project Manager
Mod cut. Healthcare
Nov 2018 – Present
1 year
Tampa/St. Petersburg, Florida Area

Senior Project Manager
Mod cut. Solutions
Dec 2017 – Nov 2018
1 year

Project Director
Mod cut. Health Systems
Apr 2017 – Dec 2017
9 months
Tampa, Florida

Program/Project Manager
Mod cut. Health-Florida
Jun 2016 – Apr 2017
11 months
Florida

Senior Project Manager
Mod cut. Management Corp.
Dec 2015 – Jun 2016
7 months

Senior Project Manager
Mod cut. Company
May 2013 – Oct 2015
2 years 6 months
St. Thomas, USVI

Senior Project Manager - Migrations/Sunsets/Early Adopters
Mod cut.
Aug 2009 – May 2013
3 years 10 months
Malvern, Pa

Software Implementation Consultant
Mod cut., Inc.
Sep 2007 – Aug 2009
2 years
King of Prussia, Pa

Six Sigma Black Belt Consultant
Mod cut.
Feb 2007 – Sep 2007
8 months
Philadelphia, Pa

Process Improvement Consultant
Mod cut.
Jul 2005 – Sep 2006
1 year 3 months
Malvern, Pa

Performance Improvement Manager
Mod cut.
Apr 2004 – Jul 2005
1 year 4 months
Greater Philadelphia Area

Six Sigma Black Belt
Mod cut.
Sep 1999 – Apr 2004
4 years 8 months
Philadelphia, Pa

To any hiring manager or HR, this work history would be a RED FLAG.
He average about 1 year and 8 months in a position.
This is not a career path for stability nor relevance. Since there is no longevity, it completely loses credibility.
For any company, considering a resume like this is not profitable. The overall time and expense to hire this individual would be a significant cost, higher than any return on investment.
If I was a Six Sigma Black Belt overseeing a project to improve our HR talent acquisitions and hiring practices, this is the type of resume to AVOID!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-01-2019 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Personal identifying info and company names deleted.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyer Beware View Post
My company had brought in an actual Six Sigma Black Belt on its payroll to help shape and mold a culture of process improvement.
Mod cut. was this guy's name, he may have had the ASQ certifications but completely lack our industry product-knowledge relevance.
His people skills was very questionable, if not lacking.
If Mod cut. was a representation of what a career in Six Sigma would look like, I would advise everyone to never enter this field. A Six Sigma Black Belt managerial position is not a prized position.
Good leadership, although a challenge, is needed to align and implement process improvements but there has to be an empathetic human side in the methodology and delivery. One is dealing with a diverse mix of staff with different positions, vast backgrounds, skillsets and even years of employment and there is no one universal six sigma formula or solution that is applicable to the same problem. A cultural change in any workplace is not all objective, there is always an underlying subjective bias beneath the visible and no one can shape and mold this subjective without understanding the personalities and behaviors involved - and it can work against you if not handled properly.

Mod cut. comes in and we (also managers) found him to be this obnoxious, inflated, "I'm right, you're wrong", pompous, arrogant, egomaniac.
He had such delusion of grandeur about himself, it was nauseating.
He wasn't much of a leader in his position but more of a mob boss and bully.
He prized and often cheered about his PMP certification.
PMP stands for Project Management Professional but among us who had worked with him, PMP stands for "Permanent Man's Period". PMP are men who gets a permanent period (similar to women) which leads to constant non-stop complaining, nagging & bitchiness!

Mod cut. came into our company and within a year - he left. Poof! Gone!
For someone who is so confident of himself, who puts himself on a pedestal everyday to work, he did not leave any positive marks.
No legacy. No happy ending.
The other day, fellow co-workers and I talked about Mod cut. and we decided to look him up online.
We found his LinkedIn page and reviewed it.

OMG, if anyone is considering a career as a Six Sigma Project Manager, you may think twice after looking at this man's resume. In a span of 20 years, Bill had worked for 12 different companies (and I believe not one as a consultant). This is not a stable genius.
In linkedin, look up Mod cut.

Senior Project Manager
Mod cut. Healthcare
Nov 2018 – Present
1 year

Senior Project Manager
Mod cut. Solutions
Dec 2017 – Nov 2018
1 year

Project Director
Mod cut. Health Systems
Apr 2017 – Dec 2017
9 months
Tampa, Florida

Program/Project Manager
Mod cut. Health-Florida
Jun 2016 – Apr 2017
11 months
Florida

Senior Project Manager
Mod cut. Management Corp.
Dec 2015 – Jun 2016
7 months

Senior Project Manager
Mod cut. Company
May 2013 – Oct 2015
2 years 6 months
St. Thomas, USVI

Senior Project Manager - Migrations/Sunsets/Early Adopters
Mod cut.
Aug 2009 – May 2013
3 years 10 months
Malvern, Pa

Software Implementation Consultant
Mod cut., Inc.
Sep 2007 – Aug 2009
2 years
King of Prussia, Pa

Six Sigma Black Belt Consultant
Mod cut.
Feb 2007 – Sep 2007
8 months
Philadelphia, Pa

Process Improvement Consultant
Mod cut.
Jul 2005 – Sep 2006
1 year 3 months
Malvern, Pa

Performance Improvement Manager
Mod cut.
Apr 2004 – Jul 2005
1 year 4 months
Greater Philadelphia Area

Six Sigma Black Belt
Mod cut.
Sep 1999 – Apr 2004
4 years 8 months
Philadelphia, Pa

To any hiring manager or HR, this work history would be a RED FLAG.
He average about 1 year and 8 months in a position.
This is not a career path for stability nor relevance. Since there is no longevity, it completely loses credibility.
For any company, considering a resume like this is not profitable. The overall time and expense to hire this individual would be a significant cost, higher than any return on investment.
If I was a Six Sigma Black Belt overseeing a project to improve our HR talent acquisitions and hiring practices, this is the type of resume to AVOID!
Wow!
Now this is a different perspective.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-01-2019 at 11:33 AM..

Old Today, 07:41 PM

Here is an interesting article: The Demise of Six Sigma: The Right-Sizing of a Problem-Solving Methodology

https://medium.com/business-process-...y-4e49b4442bf7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or