U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 07:53 PM

56 posts, read 19,212 times

Advertisements

Is it normal to have to wait 2 months to be reimbursed for a job expense? I.e. an expense you incurred in mid-January, you wouldn't get paid until the last day of March?

feels like an awfully long time to wait to get my own money back that I desperately need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 08:24 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,723,664 times
No it’s not normal. Have you asked the status of it?

Old 05-05-2019, 08:35 PM

8,586 posts, read 3,010,942 times
IME, expenses are weekly, on the pay schedule or monthly at very most. But that is from time of submission, not necessarily time of the expense.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:05 PM

8,931 posts, read 8,394,310 times
I have typically been reimbursed within two weeks of submitting my expenses.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:11 PM

1,104 posts, read 583,191 times
One contracting firm I worked for only reimbursed me after they got reimbursed for the expenses from the client so it took about 2 months to get paid. I don't do any work for them anymore because of this.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:48 AM

5,229 posts, read 8,388,588 times
If this is an ongoing and recurring problem, then request a "permanent advance" from employer. IOW, they "advance" you some $$ amount to cover outstanding reimbursements. You keep this advance until you no longer incur expenses.

Another "workaround" is a credit card billed direct to employer, with charges documented on expense report as "paid".

When I traveled a lot for work, I had both.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:30 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,151,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mua_fifi View Post
Is it normal to have to wait 2 months to be reimbursed for a job expense? I.e. an expense you incurred in mid-January, you wouldn't get paid until the last day of March?

feels like an awfully long time to wait to get my own money back that I desperately need.
Normal? Hell no! I get my reimbursements within a week. If they're going to drag their feet like that, tell them to either provide you with a company card or you'll no longer be able to front your own money.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,984,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mua_fifi View Post

It depends on how your reimbursements are handled.

I've worked at places where you'd get your reimbursement DD'd into your account within a few days of it being approved. Others are added to your pay within a pay period or two.

I've also worked at places where they collect reimbursement requests monthly. So you'd submit them at the beginning of the month, and you'll see the reimbursement probably the next month (two pay periods). Of course, if you bought something in early May, you won't submit that until early Jun, and you'll get it reimbursed probably the end of June or early July. So - yea, that can be two months based on the purchase date. This was more of a consulting gig with mileage, parking/tolls, etc.

If you have a position where you are constantly needing to be reimbursed, is there an option for an advancement or use a company card (either ask for one or get your manager to provide theirs)?

Old 05-06-2019, 10:51 AM

780 posts, read 202,959 times
No, not typical from my experience. I'd have been following up after a couple weeks of no status change. Who approves them? Your manager? I'd escalate to them first, find out where it is in the process. Something could have held it up in accounting/payroll.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:46 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,350,218 times
well, i have seen two weeks and i have seen one month.
with the super-low interest rates today, i do not complain.
if the interest rates were in the double-digits, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or