U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:17 AM

4,639 posts, read 3,699,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Not quit, but ask them to fire me that way I can collect for a little while before I get another job.
Don't count on unemployment checks until you check into the rules.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ca...-fired-2064150
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 10:19 AM

4,343 posts, read 7,987,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Why is the onus always on the new guy to proactively reach out to self-serving smarmy managers who have some sort of sadistic fetish on setting up others to fail and watching them drown?

Why are these managers never held accountable?
He's here asking for advice. So the response is going to be around what he can do about it. And the manager certainly have accountability as well - but that's a moot point for this conversation.

Quote:
What is this mythical island where talking to an inept and imbecilic manager is a good idea

I think many of you should have taken a political science class in University. You can't negotiate with irrational actors. As GWB Jr. said "We don't negotiate with terrorists".

The same rules applied to Non-state actors apply to individuals. Essentially that is what a Non-state actor boils down to, it is an individual or group of people. We are always dealing with humans. If the human has proven to be irrational then appealing to reason will be futile. That person has already demonstrated to you they are inept, unwilling to incorporate reason into their decision making.

This culture is completely dysfunctional. To make believe otherwise and encourage others to conform to the madness is to unequivocally and emphatically profess your own insanity.
I guess it's the same mythical island where every manager/staff issue is automatically caused by an inept manager and nothing else. You're operating with an assumption that the status quo is the managers are out to *********. This may or may not be true. But often, these issues are due to misaligned expectations or miscommunications.

And how is telling someone to actually speak up is to "encourage others to conform to the madness..."?

Old 05-06-2019, 11:01 AM

5,026 posts, read 3,213,089 times
Quote:
I've been at my current job for about 7 months now. I'm an assistant manager at a Pediatrics practice in New York. When I first signed up for the job I knew what was required of me, however, the office manager there didn't do a good job preparing me. I was told that she was supposed to take me under her wing and teach me the ropes. Little to none of her expertise has been shared with me, she just relied on her regular staff to train me (this is my first time in the medical field).

I'm the only male in that office so any time a patient calls and says "a man told me..." I'm ALWAYS under the microscope, the head chief doctor never holds my office manager accountable for her lack of training the fault immediately falls on me, and lately, I've been hearing her and my office manager talking really bad about me.

I'm really doing the absolute best I can but no one has pulled me aside to give me any sort of feedback on a weekly basis. The practice site admin. use to have a meeting with me every week and now he doesn't even stop by to talk to me. Then I have to overhear 2 of his doctors and his office manager saying really nasty things about me. IM a MANAGER myself and no one is keeping me in the loop, but they would rather talk nasty about me.

I really want to look for another job, but I don't have time to interview and my probationary period is up in 3 weeks. I want to go to HR and talk to them, but I'm afraid that might backfire on me. I feel like going up to my chief doctor and asking her to fire me already. I feel marginalized and defeated, but I have to pay for my apartment and my bills.

I don't know what to do, I really need help...

I had to share this because lately I've been really nervous, walking on eggshells, and gaining weight due to the stress I'm feeling at work.

I'd wait till probation is over. They should either put you on perm or fire you. If they do, you get UI....Take it and then look...

Old 05-06-2019, 12:17 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,090,209 times
Quote:
Why is the onus always on the new guy to proactively reach out to self-serving smarmy managers who have some sort of sadistic fetish on setting up others to fail and watching them drown?

Why are these managers never held accountable?
Because believe it or not, the manager has other things on his/her mind. The only one you are the most important to is YOU. The manager may not even notice the person is having a problem unless they speak up. To the OP it is the most important thing on his mind. To the manager, he's just another item on an already full plate s/he has to deal with.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:51 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,732,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you want feedback, ask for it. Set up your own weekly meeting with your boss. Have a conversation with those doctors to clear the air. If you want things to change, you've got to change them.
I completely agree with this. Reading the OP it was completely putting the blame on others and not taking any accountability for what you need to learn.

Employers nowadays don't do training like they used to. You are thrown in and expected to learn on the fly. It isn't ideal, but that is the way it is. You need to take control and stop expecting others to do it for you.

I will tell you on my team the account managers that are successful are those that take it upon themselves to ask questions, let me know what support they need, reach out to others for help etc.

Is the office manager aware that you need help? Don't understand how to do things? You have been there for seven months I would expect you to know your job by that time. If you aren't, and aren't taking any initiative to learn you need to start ASAP.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:14 PM

7,101 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
I've been at my current job for about 7 months now. I'm an assistant manager at a Pediatrics practice in New York. When I first signed up for the job I knew what was required of me, however, the office manager there didn't do a good job preparing me. I was told that she was supposed to take me under her wing and teach me the ropes. Little to none of her expertise has been shared with me, she just relied on her regular staff to train me (this is my first time in the medical field).

I'm the only male in that office so any time a patient calls and says "a man told me..." I'm ALWAYS under the microscope, the head chief doctor never holds my office manager accountable for her lack of training the fault immediately falls on me, and lately, I've been hearing her and my office manager talking really bad about me.

I'm really doing the absolute best I can but no one has pulled me aside to give me any sort of feedback on a weekly basis. The practice site admin. use to have a meeting with me every week and now he doesn't even stop by to talk to me. Then I have to overhear 2 of his doctors and his office manager saying really nasty things about me. IM a MANAGER myself and no one is keeping me in the loop, but they would rather talk nasty about me.

I really want to look for another job, but I don't have time to interview and my probationary period is up in 3 weeks. I want to go to HR and talk to them, but I'm afraid that might backfire on me. I feel like going up to my chief doctor and asking her to fire me already. I feel marginalized and defeated, but I have to pay for my apartment and my bills.

I don't know what to do, I really need help...

I had to share this because lately I've been really nervous, walking on eggshells, and gaining weight due to the stress I'm feeling at work.
OP FWIW, I've had jobs where this sort of situation developed. The more I brooded on it inside my own head the worse it got. Unfortunately it also meant that I was more and more reluctant to talk to anyone about it. I built up all sorts of conspiracy theories in my head which just made it worse. Everything was everyone else's doing. I was some innocent victim. Everyone was out to get me.

Then I finally got sick of all this (after getting truly physically sick) and went to my manager. I requested a meeting and prepared notes ahead of time, describing what sorts of problems I had and what I thought needed to be fixed along with ideas/suggestions. Also did some research into training that would help get there. In my case it ended up being a re-classification of job duties. Amazing how that clarifies things. I discovered that this manager was actually human and was interested in fixing the problem too. Why wouldn't they be?

Believe it or not and in spite of what the predictable cynics on this board always default to, many managers want productive effective workers, even if all they want them for is to make themselves look good. Working on the problem together made the whole situation a lot better. My manager respected the fact that I finally took some action on my own behalf. If nothing else I had a better understanding of my role in the organization, and yes, ended up with an ally. Horror of horrors; a manager who shared some of the same anxieties and frustrations. Heck, we even found we liked working together a teensy bit. All this improved my understanding what I did want out of the position and what I didn't want out of it. At least I had a direction to head in. Also, instead of heading out the door discouraged, defeated, and a bit embarrassed I had learned quite a bit about my self going forward. I wasn't likely to land myself in the same situation again.

What's the worst that can happen if you do something? Being fired or laid off? Isn't that what you think you face now?

Old 05-06-2019, 02:27 PM

579 posts, read 137,328 times
It is just not the medical field today, this "new" way of managing is embedded in all sectors of employment now. So if the OP wants to advance in his position and for things to get better, he needs to take actions to change it.

If he truly is being "conspired" against to be eliminated, then nothing is lost for him by making his managers /co-workers aware of the issues, that are bothering him the worst. A problem cannot be fixed, until the problem is ...addressed.

And if he makes the efforts and they are fruitless for him, then he needs to stay low and keep working where he is, while getting another job. Because IMO, employed people are more desirable to prospective employers, than un-employed people. JMO

Old 05-06-2019, 03:02 PM

6,192 posts, read 2,860,021 times
I'm sincerely sorry you are enduring this in a job field that has such good opportunities.

Would it help to know that some of us from day one...strap the cinder blocks around our ankles ...and get tossed out to sea. We struggle...and if we are lucky. We reach the top of the water to catch a breath. After which we are plowed down under again. Til one day...we simply learn by our own perceptive skills how to master tasks. So what if it's not "their way". They chose not to train...so here's the results. Most times we actually find a smarter way to do it on our own. So take it from a person who has been cast out into that vast ocean and learned how to come up for air. Sink and swim. Rinse and repeat.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:19 PM

2,060 posts, read 597,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Because believe it or not, the manager has other things on his/her mind. The only one you are the most important to is YOU. The manager may not even notice the person is having a problem unless they speak up. To the OP it is the most important thing on his mind. To the manager, he's just another item on an already full plate s/he has to deal with.
Horsesh**

The guy does not qualify to be a manager with this line of thought. If an individual cannot handle the managing, developing and mentoring others appropriately they should request a demotion or quit for a lower level role.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:15 AM

11,125 posts, read 8,534,553 times
Quote:
Horsesh**

The guy does not qualify to be a manager with this line of thought. If an individual cannot handle the managing, developing and mentoring others appropriately they should request a demotion or quit for a lower level role.
None of this matters. The FACT is that this is the manager the OP has to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment