U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 AM

2,297 posts, read 2,680,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
OP FWIW, I've had jobs where this sort of situation developed. The more I brooded on it inside my own head the worse it got. Unfortunately it also meant that I was more and more reluctant to talk to anyone about it. I built up all sorts of conspiracy theories in my head which just made it worse. Everything was everyone else's doing. I was some innocent victim. Everyone was out to get me.

Then I finally got sick of all this (after getting truly physically sick) and went to my manager. I requested a meeting and prepared notes ahead of time, describing what sorts of problems I had and what I thought needed to be fixed along with ideas/suggestions. Also did some research into training that would help get there. In my case it ended up being a re-classification of job duties. Amazing how that clarifies things. I discovered that this manager was actually human and was interested in fixing the problem too. Why wouldn't they be?

Believe it or not and in spite of what the predictable cynics on this board always default to, many managers want productive effective workers, even if all they want them for is to make themselves look good. Working on the problem together made the whole situation a lot better. My manager respected the fact that I finally took some action on my own behalf. If nothing else I had a better understanding of my role in the organization, and yes, ended up with an ally. Horror of horrors; a manager who shared some of the same anxieties and frustrations. Heck, we even found we liked working together a teensy bit. All this improved my understanding what I did want out of the position and what I didn't want out of it. At least I had a direction to head in. Also, instead of heading out the door discouraged, defeated, and a bit embarrassed I had learned quite a bit about my self going forward. I wasn't likely to land myself in the same situation again.

What's the worst that can happen if you do something? Being fired or laid off? Isn't that what you think you face now?
This is a great post and I agree with this positive attitude and think you should seriously read this and take Parnassia's advice. As a former manager, I can tell you that I would appreciate an employee that handled issues in this manner.

Whatever you do, DO NOT walk in and ask them to fire you!

(Couldn't rep you again, Parnassia.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 10:58 AM

753 posts, read 920,503 times
My biggest issue is if I do get fired I don't have enough money to survive for the next 2 months.

Also since I've been at this job for 7 months, should I include it on my resume if I start looking for work again?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 AM

1,091 posts, read 628,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
My biggest issue is if I do get fired I don't have enough money to survive for the next 2 months.
You might want to start putting things into perspective about what's more uncomfortable: deal with your job better, or begging for change? If you're really so sure this is gonna fall through you need to be looking for some kind of hustle or job to pull yourself through. And if your situation is that bad, you need to budget for the worst anyway. I can't speak for WHY people choose to live paycheck to paycheck but you require some kind of survival plan.

Quote:
Also since I've been at this job for 7 months, should I include it on my resume if I start looking for work again?
Sure, although it isn't ideal, it's better than saying you've been unemployed, and you've almost definitely learned/developed skills which should look attractive to another employer, use everything positive that you've got.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:58 AM

78,625 posts, read 70,508,089 times
Quote:

It's your first job in the medical field, which is a growing sector, so definitely, you should put your experience in that important field.

OP, you said there's only 3 more weeks until your probationary period is over. Can't you stick it out just that much longer? You've made it this far. I'm wondering, why you didn't post your OP a month or two ago, before you reached an all-out burnout stage. In any case, you've received some very good advice here. There may still be time to salvage the situation, if you could ask your manager for a meeting, which would show some initiative, and, albeit a bit belatedly, would demonstrate that you value the job and want to do your best.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:47 AM

7,110 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's your first job in the medical field, which is a growing sector, so definitely, you should put your experience in that important field.

OP, you said there's only 3 more weeks until your probationary period is over. Can't you stick it out just that much longer? You've made it this far. I'm wondering, why you didn't post your OP a month or two ago, before you reached an all-out burnout stage. In any case, you've received some very good advice here. There may still be time to salvage the situation, if you could ask your manager for a meeting, which would show some initiative, and, albeit a bit belatedly, would demonstrate that you value the job and want to do your best.
This! OP, it seems reasonable to expect some sort of meeting or review of your work during that probationary period. Here's the perfect opportunity to discuss what hasn't been going well and what has. Also get clarification on the training you say you haven't gotten, all of it. Approach the positive aspects and your original expectations first, then get into the issues. If nothing else, you want to demonstrate that you have been taking the work seriously, want to pursue it further, want to do well at it (if that is true). If you've truly decided that this sort of work is NOT for you, set some goals with deadlines for yourself. Use them to start a job search on your own schedule...not your employer's.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:35 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,112,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This! OP, it seems reasonable to expect some sort of meeting or review of your work during that probationary period. Here's the perfect opportunity to discuss what hasn't been going well and what has. Also get clarification on the training you say you haven't gotten, all of it. Approach the positive aspects and your original expectations first, then get into the issues. If nothing else, you want to demonstrate that you have been taking the work seriously, want to pursue it further, want to do well at it (if that is true). If you've truly decided that this sort of work is NOT for you, set some goals with deadlines for yourself. Use them to start a job search on your own schedule...not your employer's.
I agree with this^^. Get your concerns on the record, and proceed with a plan. Then at least your conscious is clear enough to think about next steps - either you stay or go. Right now there's no way to advise which route you should take based on generalizations and/or assumptions.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:02 PM

753 posts, read 920,503 times
Hey guys, so just an update.

It happened I got fired...

I had a meeting with the practice site administrator. We heard each other out and decided to part ways. He told me he would be my reference wherever I decide to go and it would be considered a termination that way I can collect.

But yeah, I'm happy and nervous at the same time.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:16 PM

1,371 posts, read 462,799 times
Quote:
I've been at my current job for about 7 months now. I'm an assistant manager at a Pediatrics practice in New York. When I first signed up for the job I knew what was required of me, however, the office manager there didn't do a good job preparing me. I was told that she was supposed to take me under her wing and teach me the ropes. Little to none of her expertise has been shared with me, she just relied on her regular staff to train me (this is my first time in the medical field).

I'm the only male in that office so any time a patient calls and says "a man told me..." I'm ALWAYS under the microscope, the head chief doctor never holds my office manager accountable for her lack of training the fault immediately falls on me, and lately, I've been hearing her and my office manager talking really bad about me.

I'm really doing the absolute best I can but no one has pulled me aside to give me any sort of feedback on a weekly basis. The practice site admin. use to have a meeting with me every week and now he doesn't even stop by to talk to me. Then I have to overhear 2 of his doctors and his office manager saying really nasty things about me. IM a MANAGER myself and no one is keeping me in the loop, but they would rather talk nasty about me.

I really want to look for another job, but I don't have time to interview and my probationary period is up in 3 weeks. I want to go to HR and talk to them, but I'm afraid that might backfire on me. I feel like going up to my chief doctor and asking her to fire me already. I feel marginalized and defeated, but I have to pay for my apartment and my bills.

I don't know what to do, I really need help...

I had to share this because lately I've been really nervous, walking on eggshells, and gaining weight due to the stress I'm feeling at work.
It does sound like you are in an awkward, uncomfortable situation. Can you arrange a meeting between you and the key players and lay everything out on the table? Don't be defensive, or blame the other manager, just be honest, present your take on the events/situation you find yourself in, and try to come up with an action plan. I'd hate to think they'll wait until your probationary period tolls and then let you go, but I know people this has happened to. It's crappy, but legal. The 'not really a good fit' scenario. No one could fault you for being honest and trying to resolve the situation (IMO, that's what a manager does). I wish you the best of luck. As discussed on another thread, no job is worth being mistreated, or being left adrift when you are new and still learning, and, if nothing else, perhaps they will see that you are mature enough to confront the issue head on in the hopes of finding a solution. Unless of course, you don't WANT this job. Then find a way to get out that works on your timetable, if you can. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:22 PM

1,371 posts, read 462,799 times
Quote:
Hey guys, so just an update.

It happened I got fired...

I had a meeting with the practice site administrator. We heard each other out and decided to part ways. He told me he would be my reference wherever I decide to go and it would be considered a termination that way I can collect.

But yeah, I'm happy and nervous at the same time.
Oh no! obviously missed this update! But if you are relieved after putting your cards on the table, and you can collect unemployment to get you through until you secure another, then I guess it's the best case scenario, given what you were up against.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:43 PM

2,049 posts, read 860,697 times
Because that's the way it is. You are expected to be proactive in learning what you don't know, ask for information, ask for help from whoever has the knowledge you need whether they are subordinates or superiors or peers, or even people in other companies doing the same job, and write down what people tell you so you don't forget what they said or keep asking them the same questions. That's what makes a good employee. Good employees are hard to find and bosses keep them because it makes their job easier. It's hard to imagine the OP was seven months in and hasn't done this. Most places I have worked he would have been let go in 6 weeks. Maybe he can learn from this experience and do better at the next place he works, or maybe he will take a job he is better qualified for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Why is the onus always on the new guy to proactively reach out to self-serving smarmy managers who have some sort of sadistic fetish on setting up others to fail and watching them drown?

Why are these managers never held accountable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment