U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 AM

3,974 posts, read 1,700,976 times

Advertisements

It could depend. At my last job, I applied and people had not been there very long. That was because there was a newer boss and the #2 had been brought in shortly before to help clean up the place. Prior to their arrival, the department only had a couple of people in HQ and the people in the field offices had been there 20+ years. I did not see that as a red flag and was quite happy with that management.

The replacement boss was awful. About everyone in the department quit in HQ except for my immediate supervisor and one or two other people, and many of the positions turned over 2-4 times in the four years after he started. Most of the field office employees also quit or were laid off. That is certainly a red flag. The team isn’t new due to restructuring, but because the boss is toxic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 11:05 AM

1,550 posts, read 403,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
I’m preparing for my second interview w/ a national non-profit in a couple of weeks. During my first interview, I was given a flowchart of the general structure of divisions/departments along with people’s names and job titles. Out of curiosity (and research!) I looked up on LinkedIn the 6 people in the division related to the position I'm interviewing for. I noticed that 4 out of the 6 people have only been there for a year; one other person only has 2 years. The only other person would be my boss and she’s been there for 4+ years. Is this a red flag? (But perhaps they restructured the divisions so it seems like everyone has only been there a year?) How can I follow-up on this during the interview without seeming creepy or too forward?
By the way, if you want to find out the salaries of the people working there, their IRS tax filing for the non-profit is public record. Forms filed in past years is available online for free. Look for forms 990 or 990EZ return for the non-profit.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:07 AM

1,550 posts, read 403,004 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I guess the thing that makes me more curious than anything is that the board of directors election is every few years, so things at the top is constantly changing. Just makes me wonder if the turnover has something to do with that... anyhow, I'll figure out a good way to ask.
In many non-profits the board of director are volunteers or not paid very much. So after they make their contribution some move on. It is the Executive Director of the non-profit that really matters for you.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:34 PM

1,385 posts, read 464,962 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I guess the thing that makes me more curious than anything is that the board of directors election is every few years, so things at the top is constantly changing. Just makes me wonder if the turnover has something to do with that... anyhow, I'll figure out a good way to ask.
Could be. I've worked for organizations where middle management moves around quite a bit. The drawback to that can be that the incoming 'new guy' wants to change things up. If you are on the team or in the unit that's always getting new leadership, it can be unsettling. Or, you can try to roll with the punches and take one day at a time. I've had this situation turn out well, too, with the 'new guy' being fun, engaging, with good ideas for change, etc.

Last edited by Riley.; 05-10-2019 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: grammar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or