U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 12:07 PM

1,611 posts, read 1,125,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
Speaking as a hiring manager and business owner, your comments are right on the mark. It is not just the questionable value of a degree in Art History, it is also my thoughts about the type of person that would spend 4+ years and thousands of dollars to pursue that degree. I hire for business admin type positions now and I just can't overlook the fact that someone did such a horrible job of preparing themselves for the job market and failed to invest their educational spending in an area with a chance at a favorable ROI. It is not my responsibility to bail people out of their poor choices, if they wanted a corporate job they should have known better than to waste their own or their parent's money on degrees that are really just relics of a university system that catered to the wealthy elites that didn't even need to work for a living.
What degrees do you prefer your applicants to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 PM

151 posts, read 159,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
What degrees do you prefer your applicants to have?
Exactly. So many of people get business degrees...and don't know how to think for themselves.

I would much rather hire someone who can think and solve problems, than an "order taker" with a B.B.A.

One of my best business analysts years ago had a non-business degree.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:16 PM

724 posts, read 617,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterator View Post
One of my best business analysts years ago had a non-business degree.
That's because people great at business know it. They know taking a BA in business they would learn nothing. To get even better at business they study something else.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:47 PM

708 posts, read 778,259 times
This is an interesting read. Yes, I entered into the corporate workforce in the telecommunications industry in the late 90’s. Several of my older, experienced colleagues at the time had all sorts of backgrounds, many with military experience or training through the company. A sprinkle of data processing mixed with their LA degrees, but nothing like today. It was the younger group of us that held EE/CS degrees. This particular company did skew towards hiring people with degrees, so it was more likely to find people with some sort of training somewhere.

I know retired people who worked at IBM for their entire career. They went through the company training programs. At my last employer, where people had been around for 20-30~ years, again a general degree, worked in industry for a while, then moved to the systems side. They had domain expertise so that got them in the door for technical training.

Healthcare is a field that is experiencing the last point right now. It is difficult (not impossible) to get into healthcare IT in certain roles. It’s not only about the systems. The terminology, considerations, and current healthcare system setup and requirements are such to where it’s easier to take a nurse, doctor, or hospital administrator and send them down the IT path vs the other way around. True, the don’t have humanities degrees, but they could potentially make a career change without a specific degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or