U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 04:23 PM

29,986 posts, read 16,580,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-ghr View Post
Hi, I was wondering if any of you have been emotionally scarred by your past co-workers. I finally left my hostile workplace(worked for a year), and I thought I was going to be over it, but I can't get over how crazy some of these people were. Everyplace I go even though someone is kind; I second guess them and think they are abusive behind the scenes. I mean working is not like a husband/wife relationship. It's just a workplace.

My questions is have you ever left your workplace but still feel affected by the bad people?
Not really the people - but one bad person - yes. One bad boss is all it takes to really derail a career and turn a good workplace into a hostile workplace.

I was hyper vigilant for a long time afterward. But, bottom line, he's gone and I'm still there and a few short years away from retirement. I don't stress too much anymore.

But there are people who have been diagnosed with serious physical and mental ailments from the constant and unrelenting stress they were under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 05:06 PM

152 posts, read 62,919 times
Thanks you guys! I am glad you all left and are better! I did try to talk to people about my situation even before I left and this is what I got from them:

It's what you make of it.

You have to be better than everyone else. (I guess what they meant was to do anything even it is bad)

They're giving you a chance.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:04 PM

1,371 posts, read 461,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
What an awful situation to be in. I've been there before.
Oh, I see my edit never 'took.' I'd said that I left that particular job after 8 months, with no job to go to, something I would never have done in the past, when I realized management - to whom I'd brought the issues - was not going to do anything to change the dynamic. No paycheck is worth being mistreated. Get out now and just chalk it up to experience. Hopefully, we'll see red flags to give us clues that a place may not be a healthy work environment, but if they don't and you find yourself in a toxic work environment, just get out. You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:06 PM

2,597 posts, read 2,299,213 times
I've worked at some hostile workplaces in the past. I used to be able to block out the extreme negativity but over time, like with most people, it seeps in. Those experiences have made me pretty jaded about the economic job situation. I recently left a hostile workplace that is more like a cult and treats its employees like indentured servants. The general vibe within the office, warehouse, and driver staff is pretty tense and very volatile. That place is ripe for a mass shooting. There are a few people who work there who have been in prison for violent felonies, are on a wild concoction of psych meds, and have some other psychological crap going on. I will not be surprised if it happens.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:23 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,106,269 times
Sounds like you have a bit of PTSD from the experience. You will get over it in time, get counseling and/or keep talking, journaling (if that your thing) thru it,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment