U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 04:42 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,114,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
So, I mentioned in another thread that I was offered a position. The recruiter asked me how much I needed to come onboard. I have lowballed myself too many times, so I told him to make an offer that was fair and that he would give to anyone else in my position with my background and experience. He then pulled out a number and said that's as high as he can go, which just so happens to be very close to what I'm currently making. What are the odds that the recruiter was telling the truth about the max he could offer? Glassdoor has the high end just a bit higher, but I work in a fairly high market salary-wise. Would you change jobs for a $2K increase, and a lateral move?

Moderator note: Threads merged.
Chances are that the recruiter was not telling the truth about the rate. I have experienced them low-balling on the rate so that they can keep most of the spread in their pockets.

Normally, I wouldn't change for that amount. But, given the situation at your current employer, I think it makes perfectly good sense. I'm not looking necessarily for promotions at this stage, so lateral moves are good if the opportunity presents a new challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:04 PM

4,052 posts, read 7,331,319 times
I’ve got an entirely different take on this. Tell me I’m wrong if necessary.

OP - did the recruiter say exactly “(you) won’t get any preferential treatment when it came to evaluations and promotions.” Did they actually say there is no way you would be considered for the higher level job? My interpretation of what they said was “you won’t get any extra brownie points for being an employee when we start to fill the higher job.” (But you could still be considered under the same criteria as any outsider). Do you know if they have started the application review process for the other job? It took them 6 weeks from interview to offer on this lower level job. Doesn’t sound like they’re going gangbusters on hiring speed.

As far as changing jobs for $2,000, if you are miserable at your current job, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:23 PM

1,164 posts, read 803,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicahgoChicahgo View Post
So, I mentioned in another thread that I was offered a position. The recruiter asked me how much I needed to come onboard. I have lowballed myself too many times, so I told him to make an offer that was fair and that he would give to anyone else in my position with my background and experience. He then pulled out a number and said that's as high as he can go, which just so happens to be very close to what I'm currently making. What are the odds that the recruiter was telling the truth about the max he could offer? Glassdoor has the high end just a bit higher, but I work in a fairly high market salary-wise. Would you change jobs for a $2K increase, and a lateral move?

Moderator note: Threads merged.
I would if I had an insane micromanaging manager like you do that is killing your morale.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:40 PM

4,940 posts, read 1,235,666 times
I would rather know what percent $2k is. I made the mistake of accepting an offer for my last job that was too low. I don't know if they would have offered more or not. I guess it depends on how much you hate the current job, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or