U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 03:57 PM

5,676 posts, read 6,773,000 times

Advertisements

I was 'demoted', once. Rather than getting all whacked-out about it, I elected to do the job that was assigned to me, and I did it very, very well. In fact, I did it so well that when an outside event occurred that made it untenable to retain my position, the owner of the company tried everything he could to get me to stay on, including offering to loan me a huge (for the time) amount of money to use to make the problem 'go away'. (Unfortunately for him, I chose to handle the 'problem' in my own way, which made it necessary to resign my position.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 04:06 PM

102 posts, read 95,029 times
I guess in other words I am over thinking this. Pay decrease is a tough pill to swallow.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:31 PM

30,004 posts, read 16,597,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
You guys are seem so hopeful. For me it feels like the end of the world because of the pay cut that will come along with it. I am really torn because on one end the office culture was HELL but I actually liked my job. I hated always being put in the middle and blamed for everything, but on the other hand how will I explain this to people. :/
You know - it's really about the WORK. If you enjoyed your prior work and hate being a manager - what is the big deal?

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

People at my company get demoted all the time; they often force older managers back onto a desk job prior to retirement. I'm sure they didn't love it - but they stuck it out long enough to get their retirement.

I don't think they took a pay cut though.

I voluntarily took a field job after 5 years of being a manager. I hated my boss and rumor was we were consolidating offices so it was clear that some supervisory positions were going bye-bye. It was weird at first but I've never regretted it.

Being in the field - you make your own schedule; there was no reporting to an office 9-5 and I was so much happier. I was free to volunteer at school and do all the things that I felt like I had been missing out on.

Do what is right for YOU and don't worry about what people think.

I liked being free and you liked the work of your old job.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:12 AM

23,572 posts, read 17,553,447 times
If you feel that being fired is likely, I’d take the demotion while continuing to look elsewhere.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:12 AM

1,547 posts, read 400,415 times
Quote:
You guys are seem so hopeful. For me it feels like the end of the world because of the pay cut that will come along with it. I am really torn because on one end the office culture was HELL but I actually liked my job. I hated always being put in the middle and blamed for everything, but on the other hand how will I explain this to people. :/
I don't think you should be hard on yourself for this. I've not been demoted, but I have seen this happen to those who became supervisors and managed a group of people in sizes of 6-15. Some took the job and did it for a year or so, and decided they didn't want to be a supervisor. So they returned to their former position. I know one fellow who was with the company a very long time, and found out he was a supervisor like 20 years ago. I asked what happened and a co-worker said he wasn't good at it, and decided to step-down. This was in a pure engineering environment, and he was an excellent engineer. Being a supervisor just wasn't his thing. There is no shame in that. When you think about it, the majority of people working at any company are not managing a group of people.

If you were unhappy in the job for any reason, it doesn't matter if you were able to cope with it or not. You weren't happy and that's the end of it. As for making less money, don't sweat it. Being unhappy and have health issues isn't worth even ten times the money, it just isn't. You are going to spend 40 hours a week, every week until you retire you need to be happy in the role you are working.

If you are concerned what others ask you, simply say "It wasn't for me" and don't say anything else more about it.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:45 PM

6,876 posts, read 7,276,074 times
OP, didn't you say in another thread that you offered to take a demotion? AND that YOU said you may not be a good fit for the latest position you held?

Unfortunately, the reality is you now have a "perception" issue....as in how you are, and will be, perceived by management.
And you'll have to work hard to turn that around.

I suppose you can recover, by working your butt off and being better than you said you were before -- when you had excellent reviews and evaluations.

You did have -- and likely still do have a good reputation with some people there. A person who has been an excellent performer -- who finds themselves in ONE situation that isn't a good fit -- is NOT necessarily doomed. Having a management that understands this -- and is well aware of the "office dynamics" that the FELLOW MANAGEMENT can be the problem can go a long way to providing you some "office politics" cover. Sometimes managers "get it." some times they don't.

Managers know damned well when other managers are jerks. Hopefully, there are other managers who like you and will help you get away from -- and bounce back from -- your difficult situation.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:55 PM

244 posts, read 89,216 times
Quote:
Thanks for highlighting that suburban guy, lol

But he's right. If this is bothering you so much, it's time for you to take action into your own hands and seek other employment. It can be within the company you work for (or government I think I saw on one thread) or elsewhere. The fact that you have multiple threads kind of says it's time to move to another company is my take on it.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:54 PM

3,964 posts, read 1,693,299 times
Quote:
I have been with my company for several years and worked in various departments through my promotions. All my evals are good. My recent promotion has been horrible. Early on I noticed some organizational issues and that it was a toxic environment. I think I asked too many questions and caught too many mistakes of higher ups. During the few months there early on my boss complimented and bragged about me. Then we started having meetings about me needing to build relationships and how we were a "family." People felt like I gave them the cold shoulder.

Fast forward a day or so before my probation was to be up for this new position I got called in the office and it was extended. The nit picking started. I have anxiety and depression that has always been pretty managed and then when I got in this dept. it went out of control. My therapists completed out an ADA accomodation form which I recently found out that they said they could not fulfill due to it being a "burden" to the employer. So essentially they have offered assignment opportunities and asked that I apply for some specific jobs. Each of these jobs are essentially demotions. I have always been well respected and very much liked by previous supervisors and peers and am ashamed that I have to now have to take a demotion. Since probation was extended they can also let me go now for any reason.

Has anyone ever recovered emotionally from a demotion, if so did you eventually quit your job or deal with the humiliation?
I think there was one guy in your situation at my last job (I think you are in legal now, correct?). He was in legal and we got this crazy GC who got him demoted into another unit. This guy was really awesome and everyone in every other department LOVED him. He got several promotions once he was demoted out of legal and I think retired as the agency ombudsman. It was probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

The reality is that in government, some units are just toxic. When I was in legal in my old job, it was often toxic and people who left ended up getting promoted quickly and doing much better for themselves. I think we had maybe 4-6 people who left in 2-3 years and most of them were much happier.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:15 PM

23,631 posts, read 33,424,168 times
Quote:
I have been with my company for several years and worked in various departments through my promotions. All my evals are good. My recent promotion has been horrible. Early on I noticed some organizational issues and that it was a toxic environment. I think I asked too many questions and caught too many mistakes of higher ups. During the few months there early on my boss complimented and bragged about me. Then we started having meetings about me needing to build relationships and how we were a "family." People felt like I gave them the cold shoulder.

Fast forward a day or so before my probation was to be up for this new position I got called in the office and it was extended. The nit picking started. I have anxiety and depression that has always been pretty managed and then when I got in this dept. it went out of control. My therapists completed out an ADA accomodation form which I recently found out that they said they could not fulfill due to it being a "burden" to the employer. So essentially they have offered assignment opportunities and asked that I apply for some specific jobs. Each of these jobs are essentially demotions. I have always been well respected and very much liked by previous supervisors and peers and am ashamed that I have to now have to take a demotion. Since probation was extended they can also let me go now for any reason.

Has anyone ever recovered emotionally from a demotion, if so did you eventually quit your job or deal with the humiliation?
Placed on a final warning and demoted in January from a supervisor to regular rep, had to deal with the humiliation until I got a new job in April. Was not well liked at my job by my managers and other reps. In fact I was on a probation period and I would likely have been officially fired at the end of it. I was days away from giving my 30 days notice to my landlord and moving back to momís house in Indiana and starting over when I got the offer for my current job.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:53 AM

4,834 posts, read 4,949,965 times
I "demoted" myself when I came out of retirement the first time at 61.

My previous job had been a second level engineering management role. I did not want to do that again. I did not want to spend all my time doing stuff I had grown to hate such as meetings, expense reports, presentations, confronting poor performance and saying "no" to multiple requests to spend money. They asked me twice to return to that role and I refused.

Instead, I just wanted to do engineering. I'm a pig in mud. I'm responsible for just my own results. I couldn't be happier.

"To thine own self be true"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or