U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 11:17 AM

102 posts, read 95,221 times

Advertisements

I have been with my company for several years and worked in various departments through my promotions. All my evals are good. My recent promotion has been horrible. Early on I noticed some organizational issues and that it was a toxic environment. I think I asked too many questions and caught too many mistakes of higher ups. During the few months there early on my boss complimented and bragged about me. Then we started having meetings about me needing to build relationships and how we were a "family." People felt like I gave them the cold shoulder.

Fast forward a day or so before my probation was to be up for this new position I got called in the office and it was extended. The nit picking started. I have anxiety and depression that has always been pretty managed and then when I got in this dept. it went out of control. My therapists completed out an ADA accomodation form which I recently found out that they said they could not fulfill due to it being a "burden" to the employer. So essentially they have offered assignment opportunities and asked that I apply for some specific jobs. Each of these jobs are essentially demotions. I have always been well respected and very much liked by previous supervisors and peers and am ashamed that I have to now have to take a demotion. Since probation was extended they can also let me go now for any reason.

Has anyone ever recovered emotionally from a demotion, if so did you eventually quit your job or deal with the humiliation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 11:20 AM

736 posts, read 194,436 times
I've had a number of employees that I thought were ready for promotion and upon moving to a higher level of responsibility showed that they weren't able to handle that. Rather than lose a high performer at their previous level, I always offer a step down rather than termination. about 50% take that step down and stay happy.

There's nothing humiliating about not being a good fit for a role.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:27 AM

4,572 posts, read 6,654,180 times
I asked for a demotion in a previous role. I was tired of babysitting adults and asked to be transferred to an admin type job and was much happier.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:03 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,548,650 times
My former employer back in 2015 (that I hated working for) gave me two options: lay off or do the same damn thing at $5k less (which was a sly demotion).

I took the lay off, 4 weeks severance pay and two months insurance and found a temp job to tie me over until I moved from that God forsaken state that held me back. It was all a blessing in disguise.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:24 PM

You guys are seem so hopeful. For me it feels like the end of the world because of the pay cut that will come along with it. I am really torn because on one end the office culture was HELL but I actually liked my job. I hated always being put in the middle and blamed for everything, but on the other hand how will I explain this to people. :/

Old 05-11-2019, 12:44 PM

17,310 posts, read 10,218,998 times
Time to brush up the rez, and start looking.

Why am I not being allowed to transfer if my work is that bad?

Is it illegal to put a small hidden cam at my desk?

Has anyone at your workplace ever described you as being "unapproachable?"

Old 05-11-2019, 01:06 PM

Thanks for highlighting that suburban guy, lol

Old 05-11-2019, 01:51 PM

4,572 posts, read 6,654,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
You guys are seem so hopeful. For me it feels like the end of the world because of the pay cut that will come along with it. I am really torn because on one end the office culture was HELL but I actually liked my job. I hated always being put in the middle and blamed for everything, but on the other hand how will I explain this to people. :/
The situation was too toxic for you and you are looking for a better suited role for yourself.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:39 PM

6,215 posts, read 2,871,412 times
I hugged my one boss when he offered a position that was less stress. I love management...and overall have the true calling for it. Just not in certain fields. Sales being my bane. So when I realized that my management skills were being undermined by those in my group. I gladly stepped down and watched the cut throat sales people fall from within. I didn't feel shame or dismay...it was mutually agreed.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I hugged my one boss when he offered a position that was less stress. I love management...and overall have the true calling for it. Just not in certain fields. Sales being my bane. So when I realized that my management skills were being undermined by those in my group. I gladly stepped down and watched the cut throat sales people fall from within. I didn't feel shame or dismay...it was mutually agreed.
Seems like you had a kind boss. My new boss was not. I was being pulled in the office because I was not outgoing enough and was expected to take the blame for things that happened. I am relieved about being out of the atmosphere, but not so thrilled about a pay cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or