U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:21 AM

1,546 posts, read 399,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Can't emphasize these guys wisdom enough - BusinessMan and MSChem. Stability and lack of stress are metrics we too often overlook when considering a job.
There is no wisdom in either of their statements anyone should be falling I'm sorry to say. No reasonable person goes to college to get a degree in a field with the intention of sitting there 35 hours a week with no work. Unemployment has been very low since the Great Depression, meaning that the vast majority of people are employed. So having a job isn't some great trick to pull off only for the lucky few. It might feel that way when you are looking for a job, but going back decades on average 90% of the people are working. People go into fields to study and contribute to those fields, not to be kept in isolation from being able to contribute. The vary suggestion that people trash their life because they have a job which they need to white-knuckle hang on to is exactly what HR is hoping you do.

Like I said, this fellow solved the problem, he left that job and continued with his long successful career. The very idea of staying there because it was a paycheck with benefits it foolish, when all the other employers he has had offered the same thing and with far more interesting and real work to do, and advancement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 12:33 PM

1,857 posts, read 714,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
This is like someone complaining their arm is broken and it really hurts, and to reply "Suck it up and deal with it. At least you don't have cancer, so don't complain".

It isn't one extreme or the other. You have to consider a long-term career and what is going to make you happy. You only work 4 hours a week at best doing the exact same thing, you can't be surprised when they have a layoff, you have no real work experience to continue your career. What chance of promotion is there going to be and to do more interesting work if you are stuck doing nothing for 35 hours a week, each week.
People are different and have different needs in terms of a long term career. Some want nice cushy jobs with low pressure for their entire working life, others may want to be challenged, not minding tumbling down a few times and then making it to the top or not. But at least in easy, cushy jobs you can think straight. Everyone decides what is best for them.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 738,991 times
Replying to OP, a cushy job is pretty BORING. That's what that guy's job was. Stress is not good either, but between being boring and being stressed, I pick the stressful day any day. At least when the stress is over, you feel like you were productive and got something done, even if you were cursing the entire time you were living it.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:40 PM

5,949 posts, read 6,852,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
If you are one of those people who can keep yourself busy with interests outside of work, that type of job would be a dream.
It depends if the workplace prioritizes keeping up appearances. Is it OK to be seen doing non-work things at work?

Even if it is, you're still kind of limited in what you can do during working hours. You can't really pick up playing guitar or painting miniatures during your downtime at the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
If you can take two hour lunches with no real responsibility, sounds like this position needs to be eliminated entirely. Never ceases to me amaze me how quick companies are to get rid of positions where people actually work and bring value but will gladly keep on countless layers of pointless management positions or these paper pushing up no responsibility type jobs where people can take 2-3 hour lunches
It really depends. A fortune 500 might want a database expert to be on hand all the time to quickly fix issues when needed, even if 90% of their time is not really working on anything. Or a hospital or school might keep an electrician and plumber on staff for the same reasons.

The classic example of this is fire fighters. There aren't fires every day in every down, but even so, it's prudent to have a fire department.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:46 PM

6,184 posts, read 2,852,918 times
Having a career PERIOD is not to be under valued.
Make no bones about it.

I'd take cushy any day. And DID have it. The difference is that as I realized it...I knew that I was 100% accountable for my efforts and output.
I had to discipline myself into creating a schedule to pace the day.
If this example of the IT guy is to jar me into thinking...gosh I want a new fluffy pillow (ie:career). It missed it's mark.
No how no way would I look a gift horse in the mouth.
I had benefits few get. So yeah...sign me up for cushy!!
I've been in the bleeding knuckles job. No thanks.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:44 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,415,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
To each their own.

If you are one of those people who can keep yourself busy with interests outside of work, that type of job would be a dream.

Exactly, I personally will never understand how you can't keep yourself busy when you have downtime at your job. I have never had a problem keeping myself from being bored when I have downtime at work.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 PM

23,557 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Replying to OP, a cushy job is pretty BORING. That's what that guy's job was. Stress is not good either, but between being boring and being stressed, I pick the stressful day any day. At least when the stress is over, you feel like you were productive and got something done, even if you were cursing the entire time you were living it.
I'd pick being bored and posting on here and Reddit all the time. I get plenty bored. I prefer to keep a low profile and to keep the stress down. Once I walk out those doors, unless I'm on call, I'm almost always done. Another $10,000 to be promoted to "senior" is not worth the responsibility and liability for me.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:35 AM

15,201 posts, read 8,509,345 times
Quote:
I worked with this fellow who told me about his humble beginnings where everyone had to work so hard in his family and they were still poor. He decided to go to college and told me he dreamed of one of those cushy jobs. He said he finally got his wish. He worked in a very large IT department for a major insurance company. His assigned work there each week was something which he was easily able to complete before lunch on Monday. For the rest of the time he had zero to do and zero access to anything to learn more, because he was only allowed access to that part of the system to do his work. Management didn't seem to care he didn't have much to do. He ended up taking 2 hour lunches and spending time walking around department stores during work hours after lunch.

He said he hated it there and started having health problems with his stomach because of the stress of this. Getting up early in the morning, putting on a suit to go hang out in the office with no real work to do for most of the time there. Not even meetings.

He found another job that kept him very busy, but he said he was so much happier. He told me he realized the dream of a cushy job was entirely misguided.
Interesting story...I didn't know many IT depts. (especially!) still made employees wear suits! Even the most conservative insurance companies I know of allow at least business casual or even jeans...and not just for IT but everyone. Makes me curious as to the company....

Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 AM

8,792 posts, read 13,277,872 times
Quote:
No reasonable person goes to college to get a degree in a field with the intention of sitting there 35 hours a week with no work.
A large portion of the people go to college and get a degree and end up serving coffee or collecting shopping carts. All jobs have downsides. I do a lot of very mundane tech level analyses at my job that I do not find intellectually challenging. I also have days where I have little to nothing to do. All jobs have boring times and routine tasks. The bottom line if it is stable and decent paying be satisfied and get fulfillment doing things outside of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkHbR-VQAbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHXhCXBX74

Old 05-15-2019, 06:12 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,142,736 times
My first job was similar to the one the OP described. The difference was that the company was very much about appearances. Bosses expected their staff to be the first to arrive and the last to leave. This often lead to 10 or 11 hour days. However, the work involved only required cumulatively about 3 days a month worth of work. My co-workers were very concerned about always looking busy and working with intensity. People made numerous phone calls to business partners often talking to the same company 3 times a day about the status of the same product. Numerous reports and meetings took place to talk about the same issues with few changes. However, every person up the ladder would tweak information to put their stamp on it and justify their value.

The job paid very well but the days were very long. I left due to boredom and the fact it consumed so much time and I hated always pretending to be busy. People were in constant fear and stressed about losing their job if someone perceived them not to be working hard.

I entered education where every minute was scheduled. The days went by quickly but there was still "a game" to be played. The stress was a different type of stress and the job was both physically and emotionally draining. Things I had taken for granted in my previous profession such as the ability to use the bathroom when needed, sitting down to take a breather, making an important personal phone call, enjoying the company of peers, or enjoying a leisurely lunch were virtually nonexistent for me for 25 years.

Ideally a balance between these two extremes would be the best place to be. However, if required to choose, I would opt for a place where I had the ability to have some flexibility in my day and the ability to minimize personal stress even if it was a little more boring. I have more control over my response to boredom than the stress driven by situations where my personal responses are more limited.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 05-15-2019 at 06:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment