U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 06:30 AM

5,960 posts, read 6,861,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Exactly, I personally will never understand how you can't keep yourself busy when you have downtime at your job. I have never had a problem keeping myself from being bored when I have downtime at work.
How much downtime do you have at work and how often? What do you do to keep yourself from being bored?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 AM

619 posts, read 269,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
My first job was similar to the one the OP described. The difference was that the company was very much about appearances. Bosses expected their staff to be the first to arrive and the last to leave. This often lead to 10 or 11 hour days. However, the work involved only required cumulatively about 3 days a month worth of work. My co-workers were very concerned about always looking busy and working with intensity. People made numerous phone calls to business partners often talking to the same company 3 times a day about the status of the same product. Numerous reports and meetings took place to talk about the same issues with few changes. However, every person up the ladder would tweak information to put their stamp on it and justify their value.

The job paid very well but the days were very long. I left due to boredom and the fact it consumed so much time and I hated always pretending to be busy. People were in constant fear and stressed about losing their job if someone perceived them not to be working hard.

I entered education where every minute was scheduled. The days went by quickly but there was still "a game" to be played. The stress was a different type of stress and the job was both physically and emotionally draining. Things I had taken for granted in my previous profession such as the ability to use the bathroom when needed, sitting down to take a breather, making an important personal phone call, enjoying the company of peers, or enjoying a leisurely lunch were virtually nonexistent for me for 25 years.

Ideally a balance between these two extremes would be the best place to be. However, if required to choose, I would opt for a place where I had the ability to have some flexibility in my day and the ability to minimize personal stress even if it was a little more boring. I have more control over my response to boredom than the stress driven by situations where my personal responses are more limited.
I would definitely look for another place to work as well. I imagine most mature adults would feel silly waking up early in the morning to play that type of game.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 05-15-2019 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 12:49 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,564,549 times
I am on this forum only from work. That is how I keep myself entertained during work hours. But I also have somewhat flexible work schedule, as in no one micromanages me if I don't show up to work on time. When things are slow I will take 2-3 hour lunch break & leave early. But there are times when things are busy. When things are slow I have plenty of admin work to do that I don't feel like doing so I waste time. Its good balance. I could get most of my work done in 20hrs instead of 40 but there are weeks when I need 50 hours.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:28 AM

2,451 posts, read 697,327 times
If you're bored, take online classes and MOOCs to improve your skillset.

Yes, you're in a cushy job now, but that won't last when the recession hits.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 PM

724 posts, read 617,685 times
I have a friend in a cushy job. I feel like it won't last. Told him to save his money and he seemed surprised, but then again I think he also knew I had a good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment