Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 12:33 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,041,073 times

Advertisements

This thread is just another reason that we need to go down to 20 hour work weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 08:52 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,519,649 times
The OP describes the typical Federal or government worker. Now you know why things don't move very much in government. There is very little oversight or disciplinary action against lazy government workers as long as they show up a few days a week.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:58 PM

8 posts, read 3,253 times
I can somewhat relate to the OP’s friend.

My current job is as an Account Manager for a tech company. Despite having been here for almost 9 months I feel as if I’ve barely moved an inch most days. What’s funnier, I accomplished much more in 8 months as an intern in a different role in IT just last year.

I realize that I need a little bit more in terms of action throughout the days and in my life. I’m
probably gonna go back to school for pre-med in the fall.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:07 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,342,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
His assigned work there each week was something which he was easily able to complete before lunch on Monday. For the rest of the time he had zero to do and zero access to anything to learn more, because he was only allowed access to that part of the system to do his work. Management didn't seem to care he didn't have much to do. He ended up taking 2 hour lunches and spending time walking around department stores during work hours after lunch.

He said he hated it there and started having health problems with his stomach because of the stress of this. Getting up early in the morning, putting on a suit to go hang out in the office with no real work to do for most of the time there. Not even meetings.

He found another job that kept him very busy, but he said he was so much happier. He told me he realized the dream of a cushy job was entirely misguided.
That was very foolish. During his down time he could have been taking courses over the internet, working on new certifications, or even just browsing city-data forums. Rule number one is get a job that is stable, well paying, and tolerable. Too little work can easily be compensated for as above.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:14 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,393,855 times
I love my cushy job. Hell, I feel I've earned it after working hard for the past 25+ years. Less stress. Minimal overtime (one day a year), no on-call so I'm not taking my job home with me.

It isn't always cushy, though. I've been busting my hump on a couple of projects for the past 2 years. Now I'm in between projects so not much is going on. Enjoying the downtime until the next one starts up.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:32 AM

4,847 posts, read 2,631,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That was very foolish. During his down time he could have been taking courses over the internet, working on new certifications, or even just browsing city-data forums. Rule number one is get a job that is stable, well paying, and tolerable. Too little work can easily be compensated for as above.
I think MSchemist80 has put it best: Get a job that is stable, well paying, and tolerable.

If you have it too easy at work and never enough to do, then suck it up and deal with it. Better than too much to do and the risk not being able to keep up, and management on your back screaming "Is your project done yet?" and "Are you going to meet your deadline?"

Old 05-14-2019, 08:25 AM

34,845 posts, read 30,914,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Sounds like a tall tale. IT department ...and suit? Bwahahahaha.
Lots of businesses have stodgy corporate cultures like that. Back office IT does not equal a relaxed tech company atmosphere.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,223,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I think MSchemist80 has put it best: Get a job that is stable, well paying, and tolerable.

If you have it too easy at work and never enough to do, then suck it up and deal with it. Better than too much to do and the risk not being able to keep up, and management on your back screaming "Is your project done yet?" and "Are you going to meet your deadline?"
Can't emphasize these guys wisdom enough - BusinessMan and MSChem. Stability and lack of stress are metrics we too often overlook when considering a job. Once we get older and survive or not survive a few layoffs, a lot of people will see the real value in stability. These characteristics can be worth more than a huge salary. Oh yeah, since our jobs are often tied to healthcare, you will also learn to appreciate these things more if you develop chronic conditions (most people do after 40 or so) and become a permanent fixture in our glorious healthcare system. You definitely want stable healthcare. And then there's ageism. You can avoid ageism if.... you have a stable job that can last. Those are rare, but do exist.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,339,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That is fine temporarily, but that isn't a long-term solution for a career.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,339,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post

This is like someone complaining their arm is broken and it really hurts, and to reply "Suck it up and deal with it. At least you don't have cancer, so don't complain".

It isn't one extreme or the other. You have to consider a long-term career and what is going to make you happy. You only work 4 hours a week at best doing the exact same thing, you can't be surprised when they have a layoff, you have no real work experience to continue your career. What chance of promotion is there going to be and to do more interesting work if you are stuck doing nothing for 35 hours a week, each week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment