U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM

4,878 posts, read 1,551,376 times

Advertisements

No I doubt they think it's normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 05:55 PM

20,621 posts, read 16,666,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Perhaps this is it, is that I am use to working in an environment where you have to beat the materials into submission. But even when I am careful I am told I am too slow and need to get things done in about four times the amount of time, I am now, cause I'm trying to be so careful. I can work in a fast paced environment, just not sure how to be so careful simultaneously.

I know, it's hard. I know you have issues, not sure if they extend to sensory issues. I have some sensory issues in addition to ADD; for instance I don't like lights on, and tight clothes and wearing shoes bothers me...but there are also modulation disorders. When my brain tells my muscles how hard to touch or lift something, it's often "off" just enough that I use too much force opening a jar and punch myself in the stomach, or I turn the faucet on too hard and get water all over, or I mean to shut a door gently and I slam it. I am in general clumsy, am forever bumping into things, and have a hard time following things such as line dancing.

If I were doing work such as you are doing, I would have to do it slowly, too. I do like the idea of practicing at home somehow. Do your parents know that you are struggling with this, and can they help you practice at home?

Just don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out. It's not your fault, different people have different skills.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:04 PM

9,178 posts, read 3,017,195 times
When drilling or sawing glass or brittle types of plastic, make sure you have very sharp bits and blades. The saw blades should be as fine-toothed as possible. Do not angle the drill bits or saw blades off to the side and put lateral stress on the material. Cut or drill completely through, in one smooth motion, with no starting and stopping in the middle. When I do this, I stretch 2-inch wide masking tape over the material, on both sides if they are accessible. Small power tools, with refined movements are better than large ones, with more free-play in their action. I've used small, battery-operated jeweler's drills successfully, for drilling small holes in delicate material.

So I'm thinking that surely there are other more experienced workers there who can drill and cut the glass without breaking it. You could spend some time studying their techniques. Your employer would be wise to grant you time to do this.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:27 PM

And that's the thing as I feel that the bits and blades are not sharp at all. We got some new bits in today, and they were so much sharper and made things much easier! If I could that bits like this everyday, it sure would help. Today was much easier as a result actually, after almost a month of getting nowhere hardly.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
And that's the thing as I feel that the bits and blades are not sharp at all. We got some new bits in today, and they were so much sharper and made things much easier! If I could that bits like this everyday, it sure would help. Today was much easier as a result actually, after almost a month of getting nowhere hardly.
Thatís great!

Old 05-13-2019, 09:58 PM

Yeah but I bet by tomorrow, they will all be taken and I will be left with scraps as usual. Don't see this lasting very long, but we'll see.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:58 AM

15,031 posts, read 21,763,471 times
Quote:
Yeah but I bet by tomorrow, they will all be taken and I will be left with scraps as usual. Don't see this lasting very long, but we'll see.
Why will the be taken? Have you asked for more training? Do the dull bits work for your coworkers?

I am perplexed how you are still there and haven't been let go if you have broken every piece you have touched.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:23 PM

1,011 posts, read 753,565 times
Quote:

Why even start working if your employer isn't providing the tools needed? It seems like your employer would prefer you to sit and do nothing than to make a futile attempt with bad tools and destroy material.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:46 PM

7,178 posts, read 2,954,384 times
Quote:
What will be taken? The better tools? Are any assigned to each worker? Bring a lockable tool box to work and put your tools in it when you aren't using them. Don't sit around waiting to become a victim, do something about it!!!

Old 05-14-2019, 04:45 PM

OP has always done low wage factory jobs, I don’t think this is different. They don’t use their own tools. It seems to be cheap drill bits that are the problem, but not sure why OP is the only one getting bad ones. OP what is the reason and how does everyone access them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment