U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:41 PM

4,834 posts, read 1,536,403 times

Advertisements

Yeah it's just I was told to stick it out and see if I get good, since it's the highest paying job I've had so far, so I wonder if I should try, like my friends say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:42 PM

39,407 posts, read 2,974,514 times
well, certainly, keep trying.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:20 PM

20,541 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well the boss has been really under scruntiny with me now, watching me for the past couple of days, almost the whole time, and whenever I make an error, which is at least a few a day, he is getting really frustrated using more fowl languages now. What can I do? Am I just dumb, or is this really a job that you need to have years of practice to master, like some professions?
Well I think practicing will make you better,I don’t think its just a matter of years of practice, I think it’s a talent too. I think you don’t have the right ability to modulate your pressure and the degree of dexterity and fine motor coordination skills that you need to be good at it. I’m not good with small or delicate things either. If I got a job in a China shop, I’d be fired within the week LOL.

What kind of errors are you making? Are they avoidable? Is it just that you press too hard and accidentally broke it, are you actually making errors such as using the wrong bit? I don’t see any reason to quit as long as he’s giving you a chance, as long as you’re not getting too stressed out there. Do you feel you’ve improved since the beginning?

Old 06-14-2019, 07:25 PM

Oh well I feel that the the drills machine they use jams on me a lot and it's usually the jamming that is causing the damages, but I was told that it's me, user operating error, just not sure what I am doing that causes it to jam compared to others, or cannot figure it out.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:42 PM

20,541 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
Oh well I feel that the the drills machine they use jams on me a lot and it's usually the jamming that is causing the damages, but I was told that it's me, user operating error, just not sure what I am doing that causes it to jam compared to others, or cannot figure it out.
Have you asked anyone to watch you do it so they can see what mistake youíre making and let you in on it? I donít see how you could correct some thing when no one is telling you exactly what it is youíre doing wrong.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:34 PM

8,933 posts, read 8,397,741 times
Quote:
What do you mean my jamming? Does the drill bit stop turning in the chuck? Does the drill itself stop? What tool are you really using? Is it a dremel or an air tool?

It might be that your drill bits are dull, causing the tooth of the bit to catch on the glass. It might be that you are not tightening the chuck enough, causing the bit to be loose and stop turning in the chuck. You may be pressing too hard. Could be you arenít keeping the drill bit and the material straight, and changing the angle of the bit is causing binding.

It is almost definitely technique.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:50 PM

It's dremels. I'd say it's both sometimes, the whole mechanism stops, sometimes, it's just the bits. I have to press hard on some cause some are so hard and think that it's amazingly tough to drill through, where as others you have to gentle, it depends on the product.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:06 PM

56,013 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Maybe start looking into work that involves steel.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:37 PM

2,058 posts, read 595,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Don't wait for them to come to YOU, go to THEM and TELL them what's happening. They may not realize what's going on. Maybe you can't judge how much pressure to apply to the glass well enough and they could give you tips how to do so.
I never understood this mentality. I have led teams before and schedule weekly check-ins to make sure all is well and there are no unforeseen challenges happening. When did it become the norm to just stand by and wait for a train wreck to happen? Especially in a trade? One month is not enough time to ramp up for anything in my opinion. That is just plain mismanagement.

The reality is the advice should not be "buck up" but rather, "seek new employment elsewhere and hope they have an iota of common sense to train you properly", although these days that seems to be a impossible endeavor.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 PM

2,058 posts, read 595,941 times
Quote:
It's dremels. I'd say it's both sometimes, the whole mechanism stops, sometimes, it's just the bits. I have to press hard on some cause some are so hard and think that it's amazingly tough to drill through, where as others you have to gentle, it depends on the product.
To me that doesn't make sense that it wouldn't be pre-sorted to identify which ones are hard vs. fragile. It's incredibly inefficient for any production line to have employees having to constantly gauge on the fly the durability of the material you're working with. I have zero knowledge of trades and came to that conclusion, so why couldn't your boss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment