U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 AM

619 posts, read 269,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I don't understand how this helps people in desperate need of cash. The way I read the article, the folks are already employed.
Because of this.
Quote:
The company says it will also pay them three months’ worth of their salary.
If someone offers to pay me 3X my monthly income as soon as I quit, I'd consider it if I needed cash now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 AM

23,614 posts, read 17,589,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Because of this.

If someone offers to pay me 3X my monthly income as soon as I quit, I'd consider it if I needed cash now.
I'm sure that there are clawbacks and lots of contingencies attached to this.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:58 AM

4,756 posts, read 6,538,114 times
Not a surprise when there are millions of people constantly whining and complaining about how long it takes to get their stuff delivered from Amazon, bleating about how they love Prime so much because they order multiple items every week and who are outraged by the idea that they should have to group these small items into a single order.

When everyone wants their crap as cheap as possible and dropped at their doorstep as fast as possible.... then that is what Amazon is going to deliver.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 14 days ago)

9,588 posts, read 3,670,991 times
I don't want to use amazon anymore because it's a hassle to buy anything from them. Their "eligible for prime shipping" items are often priced higher than the same items that aren't prime. Chinese sellers have almost completely taken over amazon selling cheap junk and it takes longer to get when it's coming from Hong Kong. And I hate their new 2-step verification system that you have to use to log in now.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:01 PM

619 posts, read 269,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm sure that there are clawbacks and lots of contingencies attached to this.
yea.. that's why i also said...

Quote:
I hope whoever signs up for this reads the fine print and runs some numbers on a piece of paper.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:07 PM

9,980 posts, read 8,093,519 times
IIRC the pay for doing it looks great until you actually run the numbers and real situations like traffic.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:41 PM

4,089 posts, read 2,951,711 times
I read through their brochure a few months ago and looked into it. 7 days a week of non-stop work hiring/training/etc. delivery drivers (can you say turnover?), leasing Amazon vehicle (through their preferred vendors) with ALL your eggs in the Amazon basket for what would be a best case scenario $90K/year income.

Nah, I'll continue to hold onto my Amazon stock instead. I'll end up making far more money.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:44 PM

4,089 posts, read 2,951,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't want to use amazon anymore because it's a hassle to buy anything from them. Their "eligible for prime shipping" items are often priced higher than the same items that aren't prime. Chinese sellers have almost completely taken over amazon selling cheap junk and it takes longer to get when it's coming from Hong Kong. And I hate their new 2-step verification system that you have to use to log in now.
We must be using a different Amazon site. My purchases are simple, with one click and are often delivered to my front door next-day.

In terms of pricing, Amazon's pricing is competitive and often CHEAPER with any brick and mortar stores such as WalMart, especially if you factor in your time/gas/etc. spent going to such places.

Here is a small comparison list from Clark Howard:

https://clark.com/story/amazon-prime...ce-comparison/

Old 05-14-2019, 04:03 PM

1,115 posts, read 596,696 times
Quote:
This could be a good idea for someone who is in desperate need of cash now rather than cash later. I hope whoever signs up for this reads the fine print and runs some numbers on a piece of paper.

If they run their numbers the way that people who drive for Uber or Lyft do they'll work a whole lot of hours only to make far less than minimum wage all while carrying a whole lot of risk. Yet plenty of people will go ahead and do it anyway.

10k is pocket change for Bezos, or as a poster on another forum put it: "That's bus fare for one of Bezos's hookers to get her up and out of town". The whole model of these giant unicorn businesses is to pawn the risk and operating expenses off onto the little guy.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:09 PM

780 posts, read 204,578 times
Quote:
This could be a good idea for someone who is in desperate need of cash now rather than cash later. I hope whoever signs up for this reads the fine print and runs some numbers on a piece of paper.
This exactly. Same with Uber/Lyft and any other autonomous piecemeal contract-type positions. I would never want to do it full time, but it's a path out of a bad situation if you are desperate. I don't really think anyone should look at these as full time jobs, but rather as supplemental jobs to supplement your income or to allow you to segue out of something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or