Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
And what about the insurance coverages for these independent contractors where they pay out the wazoo? Another dumpy employer trying to do anything to save a buck and will ultimately destroy them in the long run when they have no real talent for employees and no one to afford to contract with them?

This country needs some QUALITY employers for a change that invests in their workforce instead of cheapo, rotten mismanaged holes just trying to cut expense off the books and foot the bill onto someone else.. We got enough of those.

I guess its a good deal... For someone that can't do basic MATH
Oddly, I agree with you this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 09:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's projected that within 10 years, half of the workforce will be contract and freelance workers.
We'll be "free lance workers", selling chewing gum and lottery tickets in the streets, like in Latin America. "Start your own business in the Land Of Opportunity!" "Be independent! Be your own boss!" Yeah, that's the way to go.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:57 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
What a total scam.

They'll turn their employees who:
* have to pay at least minimum wage
* are required by law to provide health insurance
* have normal costs of doing business paid

Into "independent contractors" who
* have no minimum wage
* have no insurance
* get to pay the normal costs of doing business that Amazon used to pay

No WONDER they're paying $10K. They'll break even in like 6 months. Then Jeff Bezos can have more money to buy another fling.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 PM

4,969 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
We'll be "free lance workers", selling chewing gum and lottery tickets in the streets, like in Latin America. "Start your own business in the Land Of Opportunity!" "Be independent! Be your own boss!" Yeah, that's the way to go.

Don't forget, you have to "reinvent" yourself. Also, you must have a sunny disposition. No negativity here, otherwise you might be labeled a "complainer" (sarcasm).

Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
As the months and years go by, I'm actually finding that there isn't that much that Amazon offers that I really want, and even less than I actually need. There are obviously some things that have considerable merit, but there an awful lot of second-hand "garbage" that the current owners are just trying to get rid of. I browse for a bit, but then the inevitable question arises: Do I want to add more junk to my household?

The answer, increasingly, is "No".

Disgusting trend of making paid/insured employees into "independent contractors", w/no benefits whatsoever. You reap what you sew...

Old 05-14-2019, 07:23 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
This could be a good idea for someone who is in desperate need of cash now rather than cash later. I hope whoever signs up for this reads the fine print and runs some numbers on a piece of paper.
I don't understand how this helps people in desperate need of cash. The way I read the article, the folks are already employed.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:23 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
My guess is that Amazon expects to automate the warehouses before self-driving cars. They'll need fewer personnel in the warehouses, but will need people to deliver the packages around.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
They are moving them down the totem pole under the guise of a nice bonus. Soon the warehouse will only have robots, next the drivers will be robots, then they will all be left unemployed. Amazon is just trying to look like the nice guy by buying these people out before they ultimately can them all in the near future.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
What a total scam

No WONDER they're paying $10K. They'll break even in like 6 months. Then Jeff Bezos can have more money to buy another fling.
Not even, the benefits cost and salaries come right off the books.

They only have to pay the market rate for package deliveries. This Uber delivery scheme is how Amazon is able to get such a huge discount against the USPS. Bezos is the master at gutting jobs and businesses.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:14 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Another care of the richer getting richer and the poor getting poorer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment