Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 PM

801 posts, read 547,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I casually drove for Uber during the week to and from work at one point. Made about $75 extra per week for my particular commute. Almost used it as a way out of a very toxic work culture. It has its uses, just don’t expect it to be a suitable permanent, full time job and you’ll be okay.
Yea.. Because, if doing Uber doesn't work for you, then there is no way others can make it work for them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 01:05 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
When this bad idea unravels, Amazon will be hurt as much by it, as the workers who tried it. The whole thing sounds very undependable and impossible to tightly organize. I'd compare it to trying to herd cats. If I spent big bucks on a new camera or some such thing, I wouldn't want an independent operator bringing it to me in a junker car that might not even keep running long enough.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:51 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Great hustle for Amazon, they don't have to pay gas or benefits I'm sure, cheap labor.

https://news.yahoo.com/amazon-offers...115537078.html
I was a Domino’s delivery driver 30 some years ago. Dominos didn’t pay for gas or benefits either. They gave the standard Federal mileage deduction, which is what these drivers will get. I don’t think this is a good thing for the future of work, but it hardly started with Amazon.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:57 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
When this bad idea unravels, Amazon will be hurt as much by it, as the workers who tried it. The whole thing sounds very undependable and impossible to tightly organize. I'd compare it to trying to herd cats. If I spent big bucks on a new camera or some such thing, I wouldn't want an independent operator bringing it to me in a junker car that might not even keep running long enough.
What on earth would make you think it was a junker car? It’s already begun, I’ve gotten many many packages already delivered by Amazon flex drivers and I’m in a rural area. You wouldn’t be responsible for anything that came damaged in any case, although there is hardly any reason to think that a flex driver would somehow be less careful that a UPS driver. Again, I don’t think this is a good idea for the future of work. We’re moving into a piecemeal work society rather than full-time with benefits work society. But I think there’s nothing wrong with the service on its face. It’s one thing to criticize the company, but I think it’s silly to criticize the drivers themselves or imply they aren’t competent enough to deliver a package.

Walmart is doing the same thing now. The last time I had Walmart groceries delivered, they had subcontract drivers I had a girl and her mother deliver my groceries in a van. They are no longer Walmart employees.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I think amazon will go downhill anyway. Here's why:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...roblem/558482/

https://mywifequitherjob.com/why-chi...nating-amazon/

Old 05-15-2019, 07:46 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You can buy a UPS route?
I didn't know that. Is it true?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:25 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,659,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
There is a long thread about this already. A few people who drive Uber/Lyft gave some insight. It pays adequately for people who are in the right situation and understand the business.
I would submit that anyone who believes Uber is "paying adequately" does not understand the business, nor have they actually calculated all of their very real expenses.

The only way you can be in "the right situation" to actually make money at ride sharing is if you don't have to pay for your car, gas, insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc. from what you bring in. Once you factor in all of the costs, you don't actually make all that much. Barely even minimum wage.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 AM

124 posts, read 65,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
As the months and years go by, I'm actually finding that there isn't that much that Amazon offers that I really want, and even less than I actually need. There are obviously some things that have considerable merit, but there an awful lot of second-hand "garbage" that the current owners are just trying to get rid of. I browse for a bit, but then the inevitable question arises: Do I want to add more junk to my household?

The answer, increasingly, is "No".

Disgusting trend of making paid/insured employees into "independent contractors", w/no benefits whatsoever. You reap what you sew...
As a rule, I try to purchase things that I need and sometimes hard to find items that I want. I've never had any issues with amazon, other than one particular item not working. The item was a desk top stone water fountain. The pump on the fountain was broken, but it wasn't a big deal, since I was able to quickly purchase a $7.00 replacement pump.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 AM

801 posts, read 547,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I would submit that anyone who believes Uber is "paying adequately" does not understand the business, nor have they actually calculated all of their very real expenses.

The only way you can be in "the right situation" to actually make money at ride sharing is if you don't have to pay for your car, gas, insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc. from what you bring in. Once you factor in all of the costs, you don't actually make all that much. Barely even minimum wage.
Here: Amazon 'flex' delivery drivers make $5-$11 hour net.

Pay attention to DaveinMtAiry's replies.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 05-15-2019 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Funny, I explored 'drone pilot' as a part time job recently. That market has shifted greatly as the tech has lowered in cost (barrier to entry lower). No surprise there, gadgets are always getting better as materials (composites), batteries, cameras, and microprocessors continue to explode/massively improve YoY. That's all a drone is, those components. I'll pass on that, probably, though do like gadgets.

OTOH, I wonder if Amazon will need a fleet of ind. contractor (IC) drone pilots...haven't looked into that. As a sidebar business, in my town, since drones have limited range and all... it does sound a bit intriguing. Depending on lift capacity, what the FAA thinks of all this, and much more. Someone must have figured they could monetize it, though. Given sufficient downward pressure on drone costs per-hour, I bet it's "possible."
That kind of defeats the purpose of a drone, which is by definition "unmanned"
Drones will be automated and programmed, no need for a pilot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment