U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2019, 09:48 AM
 
17,248 posts, read 10,169,578 times
Reputation: 28762

Advertisements

Great hustle for Amazon, they don't have to pay gas or benefits I'm sure, cheap labor.

https://news.yahoo.com/amazon-offers...115537078.html

Quote:
Amazon, which is racing to deliver packages faster, is turning to its employees with a proposition: Quit your job and we’ll help you start a business delivering Amazon packages.

Amazon says it will cover up to $10,000 in startup costs for employees who are accepted into the program and leave their jobs. The company says it will also pay them three months’ worth of their salary. The offer is open to most part-time and full-time Amazon employees, including warehouse workers who pack and ship orders. Whole Foods employees are not eligible to receive the new incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2019, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12774
The first word that comes to mind is autocannibalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 AM
 
606 posts, read 264,664 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
The company says it will also pay them three months’ worth of their salary.
This could be a good idea for someone who is in desperate need of cash now rather than cash later. I hope whoever signs up for this reads the fine print and runs some numbers on a piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
This could be a good idea for someone who is in desperate need of cash now rather than cash later. I hope whoever signs up for this reads the fine print and runs some numbers on a piece of paper.
On the other hand, they could be getting while the getting's good... ahead of greater automation of Amazon's warehouses. As I understand it, Big A is right on the cusp of a massive automation project being equal in cost to continuing human-drone labor.

(My youngest, a very dedicated and dogged type with few illusions about teen privilege, lasted ten days in the local Amazonhouse before saying, in so many words, to me, "Frakk that!")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Kirkland, WA (Metro Seattle)
3,982 posts, read 3,249,172 times
Reputation: 7053
Funny, I explored 'drone pilot' as a part time job recently. That market has shifted greatly as the tech has lowered in cost (barrier to entry lower). No surprise there, gadgets are always getting better as materials (composites), batteries, cameras, and microprocessors continue to explode/massively improve YoY. That's all a drone is, those components. I'll pass on that, probably, though do like gadgets.

OTOH, I wonder if Amazon will need a fleet of ind. contractor (IC) drone pilots...haven't looked into that. As a sidebar business, in my town, since drones have limited range and all... it does sound a bit intriguing. Depending on lift capacity, what the FAA thinks of all this, and much more. Someone must have figured they could monetize it, though. Given sufficient downward pressure on drone costs per-hour, I bet it's "possible."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
9,445 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Reputation: 19466
I bet next, they'll start using this as an "unpaid internship" opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Fuquay Varina
4,553 posts, read 6,637,541 times
Reputation: 11272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Funny, I explored 'drone pilot' as a part time job recently. That market has shifted greatly as the tech has lowered in cost (barrier to entry lower). No surprise there, gadgets are always getting better as materials (composites), batteries, cameras, and microprocessors continue to explode/massively improve YoY. That's all a drone is, those components. I'll pass on that, probably, though do like gadgets.

OTOH, I wonder if Amazon will need a fleet of ind. contractor (IC) drone pilots...haven't looked into that. As a sidebar business, in my town, since drones have limited range and all... it does sound a bit intriguing. Depending on lift capacity, what the FAA thinks of all this, and much more. Someone must have figured they could monetize it, though. Given sufficient downward pressure on drone costs per-hour, I bet it's "possible."
I don't think the drones will be piloted. I imagine they will use GPS to a drop spot. I can't imagine it being cost effective to pilot each drone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12774
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I bet next, they'll start using this as an "unpaid internship" opportunity.
Oh, good, ANOTHER one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,579 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12774
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I don't think the drones will be piloted. I imagine they will use GPS to a drop spot. I can't imagine it being cost effective to pilot each drone.
I simply can't imagine this ever working on anything but a limited, probably B2B scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2019, 05:40 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
22,653 posts, read 28,660,433 times
Reputation: 43641
It might be a good business opportunity. It costs serious bucks to buy a UPS route. Amazon will move their business from UPS if they have their own delivery system all set up.


Although $10,000 for start-up won't go far. Business computers with programing, a vehicle to make the deliveries with, insurance, it adds up fast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top