U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 07:58 AM

6,612 posts, read 2,384,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Employers have been asking this information in one form or an other for a century or more.

What do you think they are supposed to do if you drop dead, are injured and or otherwise suffer an emergency situation while at work? Wait for you family/spouse to reach out to them saying "Drago45... didn't come home yet, is everything ok?"

Schools and colleges ask for the same GD information for the same GD reasons.

You little snowflakes crack me up. You yap endlessly on smart/cell phones in public divulging the most intimate details of your life for God and the world to hear, and or post same up and down internet/social media; but yet anyone in any sort of authority asks for information you get all paranoid and wonder "why?".

Did it ever occur to you instead of posting your query here simply to just ask your employer why they want this information. This and or simply write in space "None of your GD business" and see what happens.

Oh good grief. He asked a legitimate question. No need to go all OLD GROUCHY MAN on him/her.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 AM

58 posts, read 40,219 times
My Dad actually dropped dead of a heart attack at work. For a host of reasons they had difficulty reaching my Mom. Ultimately, one of his co workers had the presence of mind to remember that his son was in college locally and they reached out to him (my brother) in an effort to get to my Mom. I was in college out of state. I am sure showing up at the doorstep would have been the next method of contact. And I would have been grateful that they did.

So yeah - stuff like this actually DOES happen. Don't be stupid about this - give them the contact info they are looking for. They might really need it some day.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:31 AM

614 posts, read 432,231 times
Quote:
Schools and colleges ask for the same GD information for the same GD reasons.
Some of you people really get offended over a simple question. Why is that?

Quote:
You little snowflakes crack me up. You yap endlessly on smart/cell phones in public divulging the most intimate details of your life for God and the world to hea
How do you know if I have a smart phone? You people who use the word "snowflake" crack me up. Can you avoid following the crowd and think of an original insult?

Old 05-14-2019, 10:52 AM

3,312 posts, read 1,659,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Starting a new job and they are asking for both phone number and address. Why would they need an address?
Usually for completeness of contact information. If there was an official document they needed to mail to the emergency contact, they would have it on file. Periodically, you should update the address because people can obviously move, although I donít think Iíve ever been asked to update it.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:46 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,064,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you are hauled off to the ER by ambulance and your emergency contact doesn't answer the phone, wouldn't you like for someone to be able to go to their home and knock, and drop off a note letting them know where you are?
This^^

We've had 2 people have heart attacks at work and die. There was also another guy who had a heart attack but he survived. There was also an employee that got hit by a car crossing the street. You just never know. I'd give the city/state and a good phone number.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:50 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,995,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Usually for completeness of contact information. If there was an official document they needed to mail to the emergency contact, they would have it on file. Periodically, you should update the address because people can obviously move, although I donít think Iíve ever been asked to update it.
We update ours every year. People die, move, marry, divorce, etc.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 6,272,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
Starting a new job and they are asking for both phone number and address. Why would they need an address?
Think about it.

What if somethings happens and you are sick, or hurt

Old 05-14-2019, 07:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,020,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you are hauled off to the ER by ambulance and your emergency contact doesn't answer the phone, wouldn't you like for someone to be able to go to their home and knock, and drop off a note letting them know where you are?
Yes. Out of all the things that a modern employer might ask for that is out of bounds, this is not one of them.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 PM

1,322 posts, read 398,841 times
They donít need address. Just put city and state and phone number.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:08 PM

1,000 posts, read 388,231 times
Well, I think they want a contact if you don’t show up for work also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment