U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM

2,222 posts, read 541,738 times

Advertisements

"Be fired with enthusiasm, or you'll be fired with enthusiasm."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 PM

7,372 posts, read 4,226,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I did IT in many call centers over the years. This is NOT a call center by any stretch of the imagination haha.

I don't understand why you think this job requires so much more than the applicants you are getting have. Out of 400 you would only interview a few? I wouldn't want to work at a place that thought wrongly they were that high up on the food chain!!!!!

I've worked in very technical call centers that required much more knowledge than you are talking about and they manage to hire high school grads and fast food workers with no issues.
I agree that I donít think it is hard to learn about a dozen pieces equipment, maintenance requirements, times to do certain jobs, which techs do what and ball park pricing so we get a profit... but it has proven to be for all but myself and another guy. So two of us in 15 years have done well. The rest have been bodies sitting in chairs.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:57 PM

3,892 posts, read 1,653,380 times
I was picturing workers with three toes and green hair.
What a disappointment.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 PM

4,562 posts, read 6,647,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I agree that I donít think it is hard to learn about a dozen pieces equipment, maintenance requirements, times to do certain jobs, which techs do what and ball park pricing so we get a profit... but it has proven to be for all but myself and another guy. So two of us in 15 years have done well. The rest have been bodies sitting in chairs.
2 people in 15 years means the company training needs serious overhauling, or you are expecting too much from someone at that wage point. You depend on people (you yourself say you can't count on) to do pricing? Why? Thats asking for trouble.

Just make a file for them. Pictures of each of the 12 pieces of equipment. Flow charts to get to the desired maintenance requirements. Its not rocket science. Sending them out in the field with techs is ridiculous. you can do much better training without slowing down your techs.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:37 PM

31,664 posts, read 19,968,456 times
Wait.... didn't you have a bunch of threads complaining about your job?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 05-16-2019, 02:52 PM

20,565 posts, read 16,631,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Some people work very methodically and very deliberately. I used to work with a lady like this, in a fast paced job. She could DO the job, but she couldn't do it fast, and she couldn't multi-task. After about 3 weeks, she was moved into a different dept. Her feelings were hurt, and she was angry about it at first. But I assume she worked out well enough in the other dept. because that's where she stayed for years.

I have a nephew who works in a similar fashion. Plus, he feels the pressure so much (to work faster) that he starts shaking, and then he drops things, which slows things down even more. In my nephew's case, and maybe in my former co-worker's case as well, I think they put too much pressure on themselves, which makes them too nervous, and bound to fail.
My nephew was like this as an auto mechanic. He wouldnít say a car was done until he thought it was done perfectly, and cleaned up perfectly. They would pressure him to rush saying it was ďgood enoughĒ especially if it took longer then the labor book said it should take. Now heís going to school to be an accountant, which he will be great at because heís fastidious with details.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:12 PM

3,317 posts, read 853,057 times
Quote:
So I manage a plumbing company. Besides myself, we have two call center employees. One is very part time by her choice. She leaves every day for a few hours. She has been here for years.

The other has been here about 6 months. She is a sloth. S...l....o...w.... in everything she does. I move really fast all the time. I actually do two positions in 40 hours. I can answer 4 calls to her one. I fly to get lunch and zip back. She takes forever. I guess it is her personality. I donít have time for it... we are hiring a replacement. Well thatís the plan. So far every scheduled intervyhas been a no show or cance.

The accountant says it is her personality. I have tried to explain that she needs to get faster. I have gotten downright angry. My boss has yelled at her.

What is it that makes some people slow? It is a call center. Speed is a requirement. I canít fit in a third job. Sadly most employees are crap. I am tired of trying to train.
Customer service is not always a job seeker's first choice.

Plumbing co. is not always a CSR's first choice.

Type A bosses are not always a candidate's preference.

You have a lot of things working against you, not to mention a good economy with lots of other openings. The only way you can really make up for this is in pay or toning it down some.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM

18,354 posts, read 23,527,654 times
BEFORE YOU HIRE SOMEONE...take them around the place during the interview.....if they are a sloth or a slow shuffler.... that's a red flag.. if they walk quickly or talk quickly ..that's a good sign...unless they are carrying a gun on them

offer the person a coffee and see how they fix it....do they clean up after themselves...take 5 minutes to add sugar and creamer??

Old 05-16-2019, 04:36 PM

4,261 posts, read 1,572,136 times
Quote:
So I manage a plumbing company. Besides myself, we have two call center employees. One is very part time by her choice. She leaves every day for a few hours. She has been here for years.

The other has been here about 6 months. She is a sloth. S...l....o...w.... in everything she does. I move really fast all the time. I actually do two positions in 40 hours. I can answer 4 calls to her one. I fly to get lunch and zip back. She takes forever. I guess it is her personality. I don’t have time for it... we are hiring a replacement. Well that’s the plan. So far every scheduled intervyhas been a no show or cance.

The accountant says it is her personality. I have tried to explain that she needs to get faster. I have gotten downright angry. My boss has yelled at her.

What is it that makes some people slow? It is a call center. Speed is a requirement. I can’t fit in a third job. Sadly most employees are crap. I am tired of trying to train.
So if it's a call center, what are the required matrices? How is she required to account for her time? I work for a call center myself and we have to account for every second we are there. Coming back from lunch/break and logging back into the phone system even a minute off affects our conformance rating. If we are in "Not Ready" (not taking calls and not on a break) we have to account for that too. We aim for at least 95% compliance in every aspect of the job.

If you don't have set standards and expectations, and don't drill them into a new hire's head from Day 1, you gave no business complaining when you wind up with incompetence.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:42 PM

31,664 posts, read 19,968,456 times
Quote:

You have a thread that says you have had to go find a new entry level job every 3 to 4 years, but you've been here for 15?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment