U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:45 AM

7 posts, read 3,039 times

Advertisements

Honestly, people being slow is something you just have to deal with. Some people don't really take work that seriously and unfortunately their manager is the only one that can dictate that.

Things like lack of attendance is where the line gets drawn imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 AM

1,106 posts, read 593,416 times
(OP) You said you manage the place. Get rid of the sloths if you find them disagreeable. Since you're not the owner, take it up with your boss or whoever does the hiring/firing. If you have any clout at all and you make your case I'm sure they'll be gone pretty soon.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:40 AM

4,026 posts, read 7,673,489 times
I'll manage your phone room. 16 an hour. Will pay my own relocation expenses.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:58 AM

748 posts, read 255,620 times
If this is anywhere near DC.. youd have to pay at least 20 bucks an hour to get folks with ANY motivation or skills. Its a specialized job, but it doesn’t look like theres much of a chance to progress or gather skills transferrable to other roles. That’s going to deter the ambitious to begin with. Youd basically need someone who will perform primarily out of a sense of integrity and pride. Hard to find these days.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 4,225,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wait I thought you said the job was easy to learn and "basic stuff"? At least you're finally admitting it.

Your wage of approx $12/hr for something like this is a joke IMO. Pay should be at least another $5/hr. $12/hr is general high school wage levels here in cheap NC even.
She is around $15. Which is going rate for this type of job. Our boss pays most of the cost of health insurance for employees and bulk of the fee for families which adds up as well. We also have generous bonuses. I offered $100 bonus one day just to book 30 appointments. I do it often in one day and I am not answering incoming calls. . She didnít even come close.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
That's an unusual/backward career move: choosing to leave a government job (presumably with a pension, good benefits, job security, steady paycheck), to work for a small business that has paid you with IOUs.
Shockingly I make more money, bigger bonuses, have more vacation time and a better 401k match where I am at now. I also enjoy my job so much better. It was a win win.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Well put that way, she's a detriment to the company...but so is the Flower Pot Lady. Replace them both with one person at a few dollars more an hour.
New person starts Monday. I proposed today that flowers stay part time, which is what she wants. My thought is she works mondays and maybe Tuesdays on the busiest call days. Then just have two the rest of the week. The owner seemed good with it.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
(OP) You said you manage the place. Get rid of the sloths if you find them disagreeable. Since you're not the owner, take it up with your boss or whoever does the hiring/firing. If you have any clout at all and you make your case I'm sure they'll be gone pretty soon.
I can fire. The owner is terrible at doing it. I am waiting until the new one starts next week. If I fire her now, I need to work 7am - 5 pm at the office. I am not ready to do that. I like to go pick my son up from school.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
If this is anywhere near DC.. youd have to pay at least 20 bucks an hour to get folks with ANY motivation or skills. Its a specialized job, but it doesnít look like theres much of a chance to progress or gather skills transferrable to other roles. Thatís going to deter the ambitious to begin with. Youd basically need someone who will perform primarily out of a sense of integrity and pride. Hard to find these days.
We are a little over an hour from DC. DC is within our service area.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 PM

538 posts, read 284,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieosage View Post
Well hell, I am sure she can feel these ****ty vibes coming from miles away. She probably needs the money and will not quit. I feel sorry for her. Yelling, following to work, timing her walk from the car to the office, demeaning names, WTF?!
100% on both
Sounds like a pretty hostile place to work if your supervisor stalks you, insults you, judges you on an anonymous online forum. And judging by your posts here, you aren't even trying to be civil to her. Annie is right, she probably needs the work/money/benefits.

She is slow, we get how frustrating it is for you. Obviously. Nobody deserves to work for someone like you.... who actually times how long it takes her to walk in from the parking lot. WTH is that all about?! Did you ever consider she might have a health issue you are unaware of? I hope she runs away at the speed of light if/when something better comes along.

What goes around will come around. And I'm not talking about the allegedly underperforming employee here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment