U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 07:52 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,390,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Note the bold: "relative experience." It sounds like you want to compare your new employee of a few months with what your call center employee of many years experience or yourself, who's obviously well-versed in the industry, are capable of. Does this seem like a realistic expectation? If you answer yes, you'll probably find yourself sorely disappointed over and over.

I realize you need/want her to be faster, but this may be something that just takes time. Otherwise, you may sacrifice time with getting the job the done correctly.

As others have said, at least in my area, call center is bottom of the rung in entry-level work. As to why qualified applicants keep cancelling interviews: there is something you're not offering that others are. Whether that's pay, benefits, or work-life balance, I don't know.
Probably managers that don't yell at their employees.

Don't get me wrong. I get the frustration of having an inefficient employee/co-worker but a manager yelling at an employee is just bad business practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 07:57 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,279,251 times
you call yourself a manager, but if you have to resort to yelling and repeated writeups, you don't know how to handle people. Just fire her.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:01 AM

4,650 posts, read 2,289,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
So far every scheduled intervyhas been a no show or cancel.
How much are you guys paying? Perhaps you should include the salary on your job posting. Some call center jobs pay much better than others.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's a call center. I don't see why a waitress, cashier, burger flipper, or bus driver can't be successful. These are all bottom rung jobs, not some highly specialized position that requires a ton of skills.

Call centers are steps down in work ethic from those positions. I've done em all.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:21 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,667,925 times
Quote:
I use to own a lawn care company. I wouldnít have shown up for $100 a month either. Here is Maryland, I was not pulling my mower off a trailer for less than $75-$125 per cut.

But yes, good help is hard to find even when you are paying a reasonable wage.
Prices vary around the country, for sure. Here, all of the lawn companies charge $100/month for a standard 1/4 acre, which is what just about all the city lots are.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM

3,903 posts, read 2,743,924 times
What is a call center job for a plumbing company, just taking incoming calls and setting appointments for the plumbers? Or is the employee supposed to be cold calling people?

Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 AM

4,650 posts, read 2,289,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
What is a call center job for a plumbing company, just taking incoming calls and setting appointments for the plumbers? Or is the employee supposed to be cold calling people?
Good question! If its cold calling people, no wonder people are no-showing the interview.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 PM

998 posts, read 748,864 times
Your problem is you are taking applications. Right now everyone worth hiring already has a job. You need to find someone that already has a job (and you know is decent) and offer them their current wage + $5 an hour.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 PM

3,661 posts, read 6,483,307 times
Quote:
Thatís the plan. Had 400 applicants. 375 were junk. Zero experience. Wants to go from being a waitress, cashier, burger flipper or bus driver to call center employee...

5 we weeded out from social media drama. 6 we scheduled for interviews. 3 canceled. 2 were no shows and the last is supposed to come in tomorrow. Not much to choose from
Any of those you weeded out from a waitress and such to work in a Call Center, unless it is some super high tech job, would have probably been good at the job. They all deal with people all day.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:49 PM

23,567 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Thatís the plan. Had 400 applicants. 375 were junk. Zero experience. Wants to go from being a waitress, cashier, burger flipper or bus driver to call center employee...

5 we weeded out from social media drama. 6 we scheduled for interviews. 3 canceled. 2 were no shows and the last is supposed to come in tomorrow. Not much to choose from
General call center work is low skill work. Most people with a bit of up and at it can learn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment