U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 09:44 AM

7,370 posts, read 4,241,762 times

Advertisements

V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
My guess is that it’s the type of company that you work for that attracts a certain caliber of candidate. It’s a local plumbing company, not Google.

Secondly, it’s a call center job. Call center jobs are generally a minor step up from minimum wage. It’s not at all a bad job, and can often be used to segue into white collar, corporate jobs down the road. All that said, this probably explains why you’re attracting the candidates that you’re attracting.

Thirdly, it doesn’t sound like you’re willing to take a chance on anyone with little to no experience. Even though these individuals may end up being a quality candidate with some TLC.

So to recap, you have a low end call center job at a local plumbing company that probably pays slightly over minimum wage. You are upset that you aren’t attracting superior candidates. And you’re not willing to train any of the 375 applicants that are trying to advance in their own careers who might end up being a good fit. You get angry with your existing slow employees and yell at them.

This sounds like a prime example of choosing beggars.
It is over minimum wage by about $5 per hour. We have picked a few low end employees to attempt to train. One dated the warehouse help until she ended up in jail. Nope. No time for that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 AM

780 posts, read 206,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
V

It is over minimum wage by about $5 per hour. We have picked a few low end employees to attempt to train. One dated the warehouse help until she ended up in jail. Nope. No time for that...
So like I said, about a step up from minimum wage. If you think that you're going to attract en masse 'star players' with that type of pay, then you are sorely mistaken. Nobody with trace amounts of talent, skills, or experience is going to be flocking to your job or your local plumbing company. Because of that, you're going to have to sift through a lot of lemons before you find your cherry. It's the nature of trying to fill lower paying positions at a no frill company. I empathize with your challenges, but you gotta be realistic.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,258,281 times
Quote:
Truth. We timed her this morning and it took her 7 minutes to get out of her car to even come into work. Meanwhile I can run to the bank, post office, use the bathroom and feed the dog in that time.

LOL, the lack of self awareness is universal, not just with relationships!

Sounds like a horrible environment. I am not surprised.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 AM

10,565 posts, read 14,367,639 times
Quote:
We are a small company and our benefits are amazing. Our core employees (now managers) have 10-20 years invested in working here, so it can’t be all that bad. We have generous salaries, vacation and benefits. A very relaxed atmosphere. Dress code is perfect. I wear sneakers, flip flops, tank tops and jeans or shorts every day. We can even bring our dogs to work.

And frankly you only get yelled at when you make the same stupid mistakes over and over. I have had jobs I hated and this is by far my favorite place to work. And I quit a government job to come back here a few years ago.
So is this job at an actual call center (many workers and many companies calling from the same building) or is it just call center 'type' work done from this small company office? The woman who does the flowers and such, is she considered a call center worker too? Your descriptions and your use of 'call center' seem to be contradictory to what I know about call centers, and I worked next door to one for years.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,274,332 times
I'm a big fan of all things presented with humor. This issue seems to be a great candidate for some humorous injection. The slooww walkin, slooww talkin sloth, getting on the hyped up busybody's nerves. Picture Tim Conway as the clueless sloth and Don Knotts or Jack Lemmon as the amped up boss who can multitask at warp speed..The endless human interactions of potentially great comedy are all around us, but we'd have to ease up on life's throttle in order to see the beauty in most of them.

Walk away if you can't stand the stress of your job, take off on any afternoon for a walk through a graveyard, and realize that we all share a common demise. The fast, the slow, the smart and the not so smart, the beautiful and those who aren't, we're ALL in the same movie, and that movie has one ending. Relax and go with the flow, fire the sloth while running in place and don't forget to be texting, and eating while doing so..

Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 AM

923 posts, read 238,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
So like I said, about a step up from minimum wage. If you think that you're going to attract en masse 'star players' with that type of pay, then you are sorely mistaken. Nobody with trace amounts of talent, skills, or experience is going to be flocking to your job or your local plumbing company. Because of that, you're going to have to sift through a lot of lemons before you find your cherry. It's the nature of trying to fill lower paying positions at a no frill company. I empathize with your challenges, but you gotta be realistic.
Yep. I mean, when I wait tables (you know, one of those terrible, no good jobs well beneath the one OP is offering up ) I make significantly more than minimum wage+$5.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:41 AM

1,392 posts, read 471,570 times
Quote:
Truth. We timed her this morning and it took her 7 minutes to get out of her car to even come into work. Meanwhile I can run to the bank, post office, use the bathroom and feed the dog in that time.
Well, she's not being judged on how long it takes her to get from the parking lot to her desk, is she? Unless she is always late and that is a factor you'd add in when you fire her. Or maybe she dreads coming in to the office given your attitude. I know you're being facetious when you say you can do all those things in 7 minutes, but really?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:45 AM

780 posts, read 206,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Well, she's not being judged on how long it takes her to get from the parking lot to her desk, is she? Unless she is always late and that is a factor you'd add in when you fire her. Or maybe she dreads coming in to the office given your attitude. I know you're being facetious when you say you can do all those things in 7 minutes, but really?
Not to mention the anger and yelling directed at said employee. I'd absolutely dread going into a workplace like that.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So is this job at an actual call center (many workers and many companies calling from the same building) or is it just call center 'type' work done from this small company office? The woman who does the flowers and such, is she considered a call center worker too? Your descriptions and your use of 'call center' seem to be contradictory to what I know about call centers, and I worked next door to one for years.
It's not what most others would think of a generic call center. The employees apparently have to have some type of specialized plumbing knowledge. While I think the OP might have a righteous frustration at a 'slow' employee, his delivery really needs some polishing. Doesn't sound like there's an HR person there (oh, may he does THAT too LOL). This is typical in small, locally owned businesses, and most of the time, management comes off as knowing it all, being ram-rod unrealistic, and doing most everything wrong for their employees. Either the other employees are as fast as he, or they are local friends, or family, or they have learned to put up with what seems like a troubling workplace. It's too bad I don't know this employee, I'd call her and tell her to find another job.

Yea, what about the lady that does the flowers?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Yep. I mean, when I wait tables (you know, one of those terrible, no good jobs well beneath the one OP is offering up ) I make significantly more than minimum wage+$5.

haha....my younger sister used to bartend. She'd make $500+ night most nights. I had a government job and she was making more than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment