U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 AM

7,370 posts, read 4,232,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well, I still haven't received a confirmation as to whether this job takes place in an actual call center, or whether that's just the description being given to the type of work being done. If it's not actually happening in a call center environment that would sure as heck be the first thing I'd change in the job description when looking for applicants. 'Data entry, small friendly environment, willing to train', sounds a lot better than 'call center', and it's going to attract the attention of a different type of applicant.
We previously used ads like you describe and we got people that didnít want to be on the phone.,I need them to understand they will have a phone attached to their ear for 8 hours a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
She surely knows what you think of her, she's probably stressed out and making mistakes because you watch and criticize every move. 7 minutes to get out of her car you say? How many minutes in the bathroom?

She doesn't want to be you! You have said you have ADD anyway, that may be what makes the difference.

The Sloth Lady wants to be loved and coddled like you do The Flower Pot Lady. Which of the 2 make more money? Don't you think she feels discriminated by that easy going forgiveness for only one?

So lets see: Hostile work environment, glaring favoritism, and 2 bosses for 1.5 employees.
Well flower lady has been here 7 years. The end is coming but it has taken the owner awhile to see it. Sloth might think she can hang out doing the bare minimum but itís not going to happen. I have been working 50-60 hour weeks and that is coming to an end in 10 days when the pool opens....

When I hired sloth, I made it clear that I need a second me on the phone to schedule. So much of my day is spent invoicing, collecting payments, working with techs when they are on the road and having customer issues. I canít do it all... She failed.

We have 12 employees that are managed when plumbers, drivers and warehouse is included. It has been years since the time when we were growing and paychecks were sporadic..it has turned into a great company.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Well, I still haven't received a confirmation as to whether this job takes place in an actual call center, or whether that's just the description being given to the type of work being done. If it's not actually happening in a call center environment that would sure as heck be the first thing I'd change in the job description when looking for applicants. 'Data entry, small friendly environment, willing to train', sounds a lot better than 'call center', and it's going to attract the attention of a different type of applicant.
It is an actual call center with 2-4 people answering phones. We have 2 to an office and not a room of cubes. Data entry isnít really accurate. The job is answering all incoming calls, determining the issue, scheduling for appropriate tech in an appropriate time slot, with documentation of the call notes. If phones are not ringing, they are calling out to schedule customers for preventative maintenance of equipment. What should that be called if not ďcall centerĒ?

Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 24 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,339,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
It is an actual call center with 2-4 people answering phones. We have 2 to an office and not a room of cubes. Data entry isnít really accurate. The job is answering all incoming calls, determining the issue, scheduling for appropriate tech in an appropriate time slot, with documentation of the call notes. If phones are not ringing, they are calling out to schedule customers for preventative maintenance of equipment. What should that be called if not ďcall centerĒ?
I don't know but I think the job description might need tweaking to reflect more of what's actually required.
I think for most applicants the wording 'call center' brings up visions of following scripts, maybe taking orders, dealing with complaints, or making cold calls. Things that don't require a lot of thought, just a thick skin and a tolerance for stress and boredom. I think when most people think 'call center' they don't think learning about how a business works, or being able to think independently and having to make decisions.
Office assistant, schedule coordinator, centralized appointments?

Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 AM

780 posts, read 204,781 times
Quote:
I don't know but I think the job description might need tweaking to reflect more of what's actually required.
I think for most applicants the wording 'call center' brings up visions of following scripts, maybe taking orders, dealing with complaints, or making cold calls. Things that don't require a lot of thought, just a thick skin and a tolerance for stress and boredom. I think when most people think 'call center' they don't think learning about how a business works, or being able to think independently and having to make decisions.
Office assistant, schedule coordinator, centralized appointments?
Receptionist or CSR is probably more appropriate.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:00 AM

6,625 posts, read 2,388,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Amazing. Rule out anyone who might be good, but doesn't have any experience. No wonder you're having issues finding the right fit. FYI, call center is not really a step up from waitress, cashier, burger flipper or bus driver. In my opinion, it's step down because instead of making people happy, you are pissing them off by calling them at inconvenient times.

On top of that, we had a call center in a building I worked in. Minimal bathroom breaks for the employees and constant monitoring and hyper control by the managers. It was really ridiculous. I'm not sure how that was a step up from the jobs you are looking down on above.

I used to work at a call center for GE Capital Mortgage, way back in the day. Please God, I hope I never have to work at a call center ever again in my life.

In my life, I've had 2 awful jobs. That was one of them.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Receptionist or CSR is probably more appropriate.
We have tried both of those before but we can give it a whirl again. It definitely is a lot to learn, so one with a brain is necessary. Preferably one without a drug fried brain. I am fresh out of patience for that.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:02 AM

780 posts, read 204,781 times
Quote:
We have tried both of those before but we can give it a whirl again. It definitely is a lot to learn, so one with a brain is necessary. Preferably one without a drug fried brain. I am fresh out of patience for that.
I have faith that you'll find one, I think you will just need to search a little longer and deeper due to the nature of the industry and the pay grade.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 AM

4,581 posts, read 6,656,958 times
I did IT in many call centers over the years. This is NOT a call center by any stretch of the imagination haha.

I don't understand why you think this job requires so much more than the applicants you are getting have. Out of 400 you would only interview a few? I wouldn't want to work at a place that thought wrongly they were that high up on the food chain!!!!!

I've worked in very technical call centers that required much more knowledge than you are talking about and they manage to hire high school grads and fast food workers with no issues.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,693,117 times
Quote:
She was eager in the interview. Then a month or two for training, to allow the speed to come. She has peaked I am afraid.

She is the 6th or 7th attempt. They all suck. And when ever we get an applicant with relative experience, they cancel the interview before we even have the opportunity to snag them.
Maybe you all just don't pay enough for how fast and how hard you expect all these people to work, if you are on the 6th or 7th attempt for the position? By the way, I'm sure your yelling at her didn't help either. She probably just said, "Okay. If that's how you want to treat me, I'll SHOW you slow."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment