Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:43 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times

Advertisements

If she won't go faster, move on from her as a "bad fit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You're a manager, deal with it, that's one of the responsibilities of your position . Don't pawn it off on your boss to make him the 'bad guy.' There's absolutely no reason why any manager should tolerate or be held hostage by a subpar employee.

How to Deal With Slow Employees

6 Steps to Help Slow Employees Work Faster
Well I guess “my boss” was bad wording. I don’t report to him. We are both managers of different departments but we work together. I tend to be the bad guy with customers and he is the bad guy with employees. He has one employee that is better reporting to me. He took a stab with this one because I am over writing her up and yelling. I have explained until I am blue in the face.

I would have fired her two weeks ago if I had a body in her place.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:55 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If she won't go faster, move on from her as a "bad fit."
That’s the plan. Had 400 applicants. 375 were junk. Zero experience. Wants to go from being a waitress, cashier, burger flipper or bus driver to call center employee...

5 we weeded out from social media drama. 6 we scheduled for interviews. 3 canceled. 2 were no shows and the last is supposed to come in tomorrow. Not much to choose from

Old 05-13-2019, 06:01 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
one by one:
1. "What is it that makes some people slow?" medical conditions, maybe.
2. "It is a call center." it is a job. what is the pay?
3. "Speed is a requirement." so...hire fast, fire faster.
4. "I can’t fit in a third job." how much do you get paid? divide by three.
5. "Sadly most employees are crap." they got hired by someone.
6. "I am tired of trying to train." right there is the train wreck.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:40 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,319,627 times
Yeah, I don't know what's wrong with some employees, or what's wrong with some managers or companies.

I've witnessed some employees who worked very hard and got more work adding up on them from some manager. And there were some employees who worked very unproductively, and the manager took some duties off from them and added up on the hard and fast working ones.

And there were employees who called in sick all the times, even a few long sick leaves, and they still have their job. I understand that they are protected by the FMLA. And there were employees who rarely or never called in sick and worked hard, and it seemed like the manger thought they were strong and healthy, so they needed to do more, and they never got any bonus or reward.

With all my observations for a long time, I see that it's like the reward for working hard is more work. I expressed that opinion with some of my trusted co-workers, and they said it seemed so true.

That's the management or the employer's problem. They don't want to reward or want to save money from rewarding the good workers, and they cannot do anything with the slow/lazy and sick employees because there's the FMLA.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:53 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
That’s the plan. Had 400 applicants. 375 were junk. Zero experience. Wants to go from being a waitress, cashier, burger flipper or bus driver to call center employee...

5 we weeded out from social media drama. 6 we scheduled for interviews. 3 canceled. 2 were no shows and the last is supposed to come in tomorrow. Not much to choose from
Are you sure about that? Around here call center jobs are where you go when you can't even hack retail, burger flipping, etc. In other words a job of last resort, and it doesn't exactly draw the cream of the crop. Call centers here have a reputation for being absolutely horrible places to work.
If the job you offer can be used as a stepping stone to a better career because you actually offer training in something useful (outside of a call center) then maybe emphasize that as a draw to widen your pool of better qualified applicants.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:46 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,860,321 times
Quote:
I guess it is her personality.
I don’t have time for it...
I have gotten downright angry. My boss has yelled at her.
Sadly most employees are crap.
I am over writing her up and yelling. I have explained until I am blue in the face.
I would have fired her two weeks ago if I had a body in her place.
If you talk like this at work, and this is how you treat your employees -or even people in general,- it's safe to assume some of this is repeated in the interviews you're conducting, or even possibilities for an interview.

There are plenty of Type A personalities out there looking for jobs, and you may think you're offering a reasonable rate, but unless you were offering waaaay more than other entry level employment, there's no way in hell anyone with any self esteem would subject themselves to that kind of hostile work environment, even if that hostility is being directed at someone else.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:30 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,801,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Are you sure about that? Around here call center jobs are where you go when you can't even hack retail, burger flipping, etc. In other words a job of last resort, and it doesn't exactly draw the cream of the crop. Call centers here have a reputation for being absolutely horrible places to work.
If the job you offer can be used as a stepping stone to a better career because you actually offer training in something useful (outside of a call center) then maybe emphasize that as a draw to widen your pool of better qualified applicants.
I agree, call center jobs have such a high turnover rate for a reason.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,080 times
Quote:
She was eager in the interview. Then a month or two for training, to allow the speed to come. She has peaked I am afraid.

She is the 6th or 7th attempt. They all suck. And when ever we get an applicant with relative experience, they cancel the interview before we even have the opportunity to snag them.
Note the bold: "relative experience." It sounds like you want to compare your new employee of a few months with what your call center employee of many years experience or yourself, who's obviously well-versed in the industry, are capable of. Does this seem like a realistic expectation? If you answer yes, you'll probably find yourself sorely disappointed over and over.

I realize you need/want her to be faster, but this may be something that just takes time. Otherwise, you may sacrifice time with getting the job the done correctly.

As others have said, at least in my area, call center is bottom of the rung in entry-level work. As to why qualified applicants keep cancelling interviews: there is something you're not offering that others are. Whether that's pay, benefits, or work-life balance, I don't know.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
It's a call center. I don't see why a waitress, cashier, burger flipper, or bus driver can't be successful. These are all bottom rung jobs, not some highly specialized position that requires a ton of skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment