Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,748,726 times

Advertisements

When you treat employees like crap, what did you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 01:41 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,943,081 times
Some people work very methodically and very deliberately. I used to work with a lady like this, in a fast paced job. She could DO the job, but she couldn't do it fast, and she couldn't multi-task. After about 3 weeks, she was moved into a different dept. Her feelings were hurt, and she was angry about it at first. But I assume she worked out well enough in the other dept. because that's where she stayed for years.

I have a nephew who works in a similar fashion. Plus, he feels the pressure so much (to work faster) that he starts shaking, and then he drops things, which slows things down even more. In my nephew's case, and maybe in my former co-worker's case as well, I think they put too much pressure on themselves, which makes them too nervous, and bound to fail.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:48 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,011,519 times
I'd rather have a sloth over a jckass.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:32 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,005,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. It's what I thought as I read through the thread. If it has gotten to the point of yelling, then something has gone south, and even if the employee is not a good one, the OP seems a little heavy on the trigger. You'd think you'd be able to recognize someone is NOT going to be too much of a go getter during the interview. If you ask for related experience as part of the job announcement, are the candidates lying to you about having it or is it simply that they are not fast enough for you? If they've not been honest about relevant experience, then letting them go should not be much of an issue.

The other things the OP said: He learned the job in 3 days AND he's the one doing the training. He may have an overinflated expectation of how quickly someone else will learn the job. And if he's flying around doing 5 things at once, he may not be the best person to be doing the training.

I also wouldn't think of a call center as a place for a Type A personality, unless you're a 9-1-1 operator (which I was). You can be detail oriented, and a go getter w/out being Type A or being particularly fast.

400 candidates and 375 weren't qualified?

And finally, he said they have kept around a woman who doesn't really do the job she was hired for, but keeps the gardens around the facility nice and that the OP took over doing her job, or most of her job, too. Really? What kind of management is that?
I am a woman.

I know she needs to go but we just love her so much. She cheers us up and brings joy to work. She is good for morale. But we all know she isn’t help us grow.

My sloth is just stupid. I can hear every call she makes because I am next to her, she lacks confidence. I type out scripts of exactly what she should be saying and she doesn’t use them. So she ends up saying dumb stuff or talking the customer out of scheduling service.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I wouldn't call this a call center job. When I think of a call center, I think of a room full of cubicles with people reading from scripts, all paid 100% commission only.

How do they learn enough about plumbing to answer technical questions? Do you really want an office person giving plumbing advice?

Do you have some sort of forms they can follow to ask questions, fill out answers and give to the plumber? No hot water, they grab the water heater form, etc. Many people are better following a checklist.

I love plumbers, my dad and all his brothers were plumbers. And I love the plumber who got to our house at 9 pm to fix the hot water on a holiday weekend.
They train with me for about a month. It is plenty of time to learn. I send them out with trchs, we do training in the warehouse with actual equipment. They makes notes when in training. I expect them to learn and retain the information in their notes.

Plumbing isn’t that complicated. Lots of common sense.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
LOL, the lack of self awareness is universal, not just with relationships!

Sounds like a horrible environment. I am not surprised.
To be fair, we are two doors down from the bank and post office. She should have no issues zipping through both in 7 minutes. I had to follow her to work one day and she drove the speed limit, all 12 miles. I pulled in the parking lot and told her I finally understand why she is late every day.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
So like I said, about a step up from minimum wage. If you think that you're going to attract en masse 'star players' with that type of pay, then you are sorely mistaken. Nobody with trace amounts of talent, skills, or experience is going to be flocking to your job or your local plumbing company. Because of that, you're going to have to sift through a lot of lemons before you find your cherry. It's the nature of trying to fill lower paying positions at a no frill company. I empathize with your challenges, but you gotta be realistic.
When this company was going through a rough patch, I worked for many months on IOU’s. I have been repaid many times over. I am treated wonderfully. Get great bonuses. I have been paid whenever my daughter is hospitalized. It is a very good company to work with.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Well, she's not being judged on how long it takes her to get from the parking lot to her desk, is she? Unless she is always late and that is a factor you'd add in when you fire her. Or maybe she dreads coming in to the office given your attitude. I know you're being facetious when you say you can do all those things in 7 minutes, but really?
Well she pulled in at 8:58 and finally walked in at 9:05. Her start time is 9:00 and she parks right outside the door. Not like we are asking her to cross acres of parking lots. So yes I was judging. Every morning last week I reminded her that her start time is 9 am.

So today she tells me she needs to leave by 5 every day. I said that is fine, she should be able to accomplish her full job in 8 hours. When I started, I did it part time in 3-4 hours a day. She just needs to pick up the pace.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:59 PM

We have tried every way possible to get her to pick up the pace. She is a sloth. She reminds me of the sloths in zootopia. She can’t handle fast pace.

On the positive we have a new person starting Monday. Hopefully I can get her up and running quickly.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Some people work very methodically and very deliberately. I used to work with a lady like this, in a fast paced job. She could DO the job, but she couldn't do it fast, and she couldn't multi-task. After about 3 weeks, she was moved into a different dept. Her feelings were hurt, and she was angry about it at first. But I assume she worked out well enough in the other dept. because that's where she stayed for years.

I have a nephew who works in a similar fashion. Plus, he feels the pressure so much (to work faster) that he starts shaking, and then he drops things, which slows things down even more. In my nephew's case, and maybe in my former co-worker's case as well, I think they put too much pressure on themselves, which makes them too nervous, and bound to fail.
Probably. In our system which is poorly designed, you have to type the call notes out in one screen and schedule the call for the tech in another. She manages to get one or the other correct but never both. Today she was scheduling for Friday but kept putting the calls on for today and the techs kept calling wondering why things in completely different areas appeared on their dispatch. It stopped being funny awhile ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment