U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 12:20 PM

66 posts, read 45,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
How many hours are you actually in your "office", doors shut, working, do not disturb VS taking advantage of working at home and watching TV, running errands, playing with kids, etc etc?
Wow you sure have outdated views on what it means to work remote. I have been working remote last fourteen years and have never played with kids, eating bon bons, running errands, and having a party while working lol. I run my own medical billing business and raised two kids, worked flexible hours, took two vacations per year and never once have I ever had any clients complain that my work is not up to par. I even hire remote billers because people tend to work smarter without distractions of long commute and insufferable work colleagues. As long as the work gets done I dont care if my remote workers have the TV on, or music playing in the background. Just my two cents. On average I work between 35-50 hours per week working five or six days per week. Sometimes I work in mornings and sometime I prefer working late afternoon till late night.

Sasha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 12:24 PM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Quote:
How many hours are you actually in your "office", doors shut, working, do not disturb VS taking advantage of working at home and watching TV, running errands, playing with kids, etc etc?
It depends. When things are slow, I may be working only 4-5 hours a day.

But when it's time to cram, it may go up to 12 hours a day and including weekends.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:40 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,527,370 times
I've never counted my hours. I do the work in the time the work requires.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 PM

3,754 posts, read 2,119,516 times
With employers being such control freaks these days, I’m surprised there are any remote positions left. They can’t Maintain the control to the high degree they want over remote employees

Old 06-11-2019, 01:30 PM

2,655 posts, read 1,545,959 times
I work from home once or twice a week now and tend to work 10 hours or so on those fats. On days Iím in the office Iím closer to 8 due to commute times. So I work more from home and get more done.

I worked exclusively from home for a while and would work around the clock. Like 80-100 hour weeks were the norm but I also worked for a startup where that was the culture.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:26 PM

1,665 posts, read 547,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
With employers being such control freaks these days, Iím surprised there are any remote positions left. They canít Maintain the control to the high degree they want over remote employees
Actually statistics overall show that more people work from home now than ever before, in the US at least. People want employees who take ownership/are autonomous.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:30 PM

19 posts, read 3,191 times
I can get everything done in 20 hours per week regardless of whether I am in the office or working remotely. I am surprised flex scheduling and working remotely isn't more commonplace. Even doctors will look at imaging results and charts while out of the office/hospital nowadays since everything is computerized. And we certainly don't need to have strict 8-5 or 9-5 schedules for many office jobs.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,150,257 times
Quote:
What difference does it make? I'm paid for my output, not input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment