Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:01 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
How many hours are you actually in your "office", doors shut, working, do not disturb VS taking advantage of working at home and watching TV, running errands, playing with kids, etc etc?
Exactly 2. Less if I can get away with it.

SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 04:08 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
how many hours a week is anyone actually working regardless of physical location?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:22 PM

509 posts, read 554,661 times
I work several more hours than I log

Old 05-15-2019, 08:35 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
I can't do much work from home, but what I find interesting is both my dad and my father in law had work from home jobs back when the term was unheard of. Dad's work was very seasonal, so during the season he was working 14-16 hour days, 7 days a week. And in the off season, he was off, other than a little paperwork.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:34 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
I work several more hours than I log
Same. I try to get time back on Fridays, but it still doesn’t balance out.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:38 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
how many hours a week is anyone actually working regardless of physical location?
Great question. I know that when I worked in an office 8 hours per day, I was probably only working half that. Apparently the average office worker is only productive for just under 3 hours per day even though they're physically there for 8. https://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/i...any-hours.html

Old 05-16-2019, 08:29 AM

6,704 posts, read 5,933,155 times
I'm a full time work-from-home employee of a large corporation. Probably I do 20-30 hours a week of actual work, but I'm just as productive as I was in a corporate office, if not MORE so.

In a corporate office, there's constant interruption and noise. Your lunch hour is more or less fixed, though you might be on a roll at 12pm and not wanting to stop. 'Round about 5pm, you are wanting to get out of there, even though you might be in the middle of solving something. You're thinking "I'd better go before the traffic becomes too brutal!" Then when you get home, you're exhausted from the drive and no longer wish to think about work.

At home, I find I am much more free to solve problems and get work done in a natural, organic way, rather than adhering to a corporate schedule. It does mean sometimes I'm working at 9pm, but then I'll take it easy the next day. My manager travels a lot and has crazy hours, too, and we have an unwritten understanding about such things.

I would not wish to go back to the commute and office grind! I love my current lifestyle. But, all good things come to an end, so sooner or later will probably end up back in some annoying office.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,812,682 times
I work way harder from home than I do in the office. In the office I will walk around, or go talk to another manager for an hour. I don't care if I miss a call or anything because I am in the building and they can find me if they need me.

If I miss a call when I am at home I freak out. I'm sure at that point people think I am taking a shower or mowing the lawn lol so I make sure I answer every call.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 AM

6,704 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I work way harder from home than I do in the office. In the office I will walk around, or go talk to another manager for an hour. I don't care if I miss a call or anything because I am in the building and they can find me if they need me.

If I miss a call when I am at home I freak out. I'm sure at that point people think I am taking a shower or mowing the lawn lol so I make sure I answer every call.
Yes, good point, me too.

And to make matters worse, my company is distributed around the world and emails come in starting around 3am, and can go well into the evening. If I don't answer them in a timely way, I worry they'll think I'm slacking off

Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM

740 posts, read 456,639 times
I'm here on city-data forum posting so obviously, I don't work enough. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment