U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 05:36 PM

780 posts, read 204,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Have you accumulated more human capital over the last year? Are you closer to your end-goal today than you were a year ago? If nothing changes work-wise, will you be even closer a year from now - or have you sort of plateaued given the state of things?

If it were me, I'd talk to my manager about this. Something like

a) I like it here
b) I'm capable of contributing more, and I'd like to do that
c) In order to contribute more, I need more of other people to help me get established in this role. Specifically, I need X, Y, and Z.

Or something sort of like the above.
Yes, we've had this conversation once or twice over the course of the year. She has always been apologetic about the lack of resources available to help me. And I've always been understanding about it. They finally brought in a senior analyst with more experience in the past month. At this stage, I've been the one more or less training him on internal processes. We'll have to see if those roles swap over time.

Part of the frustration that stems from this situation is that I don't feel valuable or appreciated by some of my co-workers. While I do contribute in some areas well, there's a lot I have not been able to assist on more due to my lack of experience in specific areas. So that said, I'm treated differently. Sometimes more harshly. The way they talk to me isn't as cordial or friendly as they talk to other co-workers. They joke with them, they have fun with each other. On the other hand, I get snarky, condescending attitudes and brushed off.

Often times I don't get invited to meetings that could be valuable to my learning process. In a sense, I just exist to do the occasional spreadsheet work and general analysis for them. Otherwise, I feel like it doesn't matter if I'm there or not. And I am particularly paranoid now that they have a senior analyst to help them out. What if I'm further pushed out and isolated from team activities? It already feels like it's started to happen in the last week or so.

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 05-15-2019 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
You're lucky you have the type of manager you do. That makes all the difference.
Can you hang out with that senior level analyst who has more experience? Your manager asked you to let her know if you think of quitting, so she can try to work things out. Ask her if there's a scenario where you can work with the senior level analyst, that you'd feel more confident that you were being as productive as possible for the company. Who could say no to that?

If you work as a team, and let him/her know how much you appreciate the "education" he's more likely to have your back. So many undesirable situations at work involve office politics. The sooner you become confident in your abilities, the less having the respect of those others will matter. Sure it's nice, but if you're doing your job well, you'll assume respect instead of wondering about it.
For sure! A lot of what happens in this situation I think will hinge on what happens between me and the senior analyst they just hired. I want to give it a little bit of time to see how that works out for me.

It's just that in the meantime, I struggle with feeling inadequate, overwhelmed, and unappreciated. And at this point, I'm just worried they'll decide,"Welp, we don't really need this guy anymore now that we have Mr. senior analyst to help the team in ways that SQAL could not". I know it sounds awful and paranoid, but I've heard of worse happening.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 PM

2,237 posts, read 550,208 times
I think I understand a bit more.

Do you think it would help to have specific, measurable objectives and deliverables on specific projects? Things where your name is next to the deliverable, and there is a due date, and there are conditions of satisfaction for them? And then, when you need some more help, you go to the more senior analyst, who coaches you on technical ways to accomplish them?

I'm being a bit fuzzy because I don't really understand the world of actuarial analytics. Heck, I can't even spell it without going back to your first post -- so what I'm describing may not really make sense.

I'm imagining an environment where there are, say, 6 projects across 4 customers, all under the control of your manager. Your manager formally assigns you to projects #1 through #3 and the senior analyst to projects #4-#6, and assigns the senior analyst to do a review of your work for technical accuracy & completeness. The two of you then get the opportunity to delve deeper into the details of actuarial analytics or financial analytics. "What if we did XYZ? What if we approached it this other way? What if... What if... Should we... How about... Do you think... Did you consider..." and also looking at it from other perspectives -- "What if the data are off - is our approach tolerant? How off would the data need to be for us to change our conclusions and recommendations?

Somehow - you and the senior analyst become a "team."

As to the other employees - I'm not sure. In general terms I'd say "run faster than them" but that probably isn't helpful right now.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:59 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,114,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
The reason this is of any concern to me is that I want to be respectful of my manager. I really appreciate her, and would like to use her as a reference later on, but I know that the role may be difficult to fill. I guess I just want her to feel like she got something out of this transaction, and doesn't hold anything against me for leaving 'too soon'.

At the end of the day, I'm not leaving due to her management style or due to the role (I like both), I just don't think I'm a good fit for the culture at this particular company (run and gun; start-uppy). I don't like performing, in this particular type of role where attention to detail and analytical thought is of the utmost importance, in a run and gun culture.

There's not much your manager can do to fix the culture. It is what is it. So, if that's your deal breaker, you have to leave. If the manager respects you (as much as you do her) she'll understand. I'm willing to bet she'd give you a good reference.

I'm in a situation right now where the culture is not a fit. The employer embellished about the organization/position during the interview. I started seeing signs within 90 days of starting that the culture was a miss. Despite this I set a goal to do a great job, but not to give it any more than a year under the circumstances. Unfortunately, nothing has changed and I have no reason to believe that it will in the near term. So, I gave my notice.

My manager was apologetic and understanding of my reasons for resigning. She's a people manager but doesn't have authority to make decisions. So, she says her hands have been tied this past year. That's too bad she's been put in a position where her input is not valued. Because now she has to fill a critical role as I prepare to exit, and possibly two, because my colleague is planning to exit soon for the same reasons as me. So, your manager knows your struggle, but her hands may be tied too.

So, like me, you should just chop it up as a lesson learned and move on.

Last edited by lovely40; 05-15-2019 at 06:09 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 06:03 PM

8,807 posts, read 13,297,378 times
The negatives don't sound too bad. I'm of the opinion that if that job is tolerable don't risk ending up someplace worse but it depends how marketable and healthy your profession is I suppose.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 05-15-2019 at 07:20 PM..

Old 05-16-2019, 08:22 AM

I think another thing that has bothered me is the lack of critical feedback. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but hear me out. My best friend and I were discussing this last night, and he made some interesting points.

I've been here a year and all I'm ever told by management is that I'm doing a fantastic job and I'm exactly where I ought to be in my progress, albeit behind on some training due to lack of resources.

But based on how I've been treated recently, that's not exactly how I feel.

The main thing that sticks out are the co-workers who don't treat me the same way they treat other co-workers. They're (at least a couple of them) not as playful, cordial, or friendly to me as they are with other co-workers, and especially the new hires. They treat the new hires so much better than me.

Secondly, my manager recently re-allocated some clients/tasks to some of the new hires with no explanation before hand. I just received an email one day from my manager indicating that these clients will be handled by 'Dave' now. It'd have been nice if she called me aside and explained what was going on, that it wasn't a reflection on me, that they just needed to divvy up some of the work. But I got zero explanation; just 'hand them over'.

Thirdly, it has begun to feel like I'm not being included on anything new; that progress and development has ceased abruptly. One-on-ones with my manager have been treated as optional rather than necessary. I'm not brought into client meetings that I service. Etc., Etc., Etc. I feel like they have given up on the prospect of developing me in lieu of the new hires (one senior analyst, and one who is about 10 years younger than me).

I feel like they're not being entirely transparent with me, and that is frustrating. I have shown the utmost professionalism, tact, and cordialness in this role, and it seems to have served me poorly. I can't be a better person or more dedicated worker than I have been here, so this has been emotionally and mentally challenging for me.

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 05-16-2019 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-16-2019, 01:54 PM

6,213 posts, read 2,871,412 times
I walked your path, for 14 years.
I'm a pathetic optimist. Thinking it would get better.

Trust your instincts. It's serving you well.

Take your valued being...and make haste in traveling forward to a place that meets your career needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or