U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:50 PM

4,136 posts, read 1,886,778 times

Advertisements

Jmo, you need to tell employees that up front what your reasons are and consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 12:57 PM

4,553 posts, read 6,639,734 times
I would take away his travel jobs and let the others take them if they are just rotating. I wouldn't fire him but I would let him know there wouldn't be a next time.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:11 PM

26,715 posts, read 11,205,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garylancelot View Post
Fellow Coloradans (or anyone else willing to chime in!),

As you know, this whole "legalized" marijuana issue has become a bit of a challenge when it comes to finding employees who can keep themselves clean. At my company, a big part of our employees' role is to travel to countries all over the world to do ground surveys. Before purchasing plane tickets, we require employees to undergo a drug test to ensure that we won't have any issues while employees travel.

Most employees are straightforward and will let me know beforehand that they won't pass the test; an honesty which I appreciate. A couple days ago however, an employee deliberately brought a clean urine sample to his test with the intent of cheating and deceiving the system. He is a valuable employee and I really like the guy, but at the end of the day, can I trust him? He humbly came to me and spoke with me face to face about what happened because he wanted to be open about it rather than me hearing about it from another source. I don't think he would have done so had he not been caught.

I could simply restrict him from traveling ever again, or I could just let him go based on the overall possibility of future dishonesty.

What would you do?
If he's a valuable employee then why the need for a drug test?

Old 05-15-2019, 01:18 PM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
The issue is that the product is legal where they are. Would you have prohibited him from traveling if alcohol metabolized the same way as pot, and he had a couple of beers a week and a half ago? There is no indication the person's marijuana use is impacting job performance.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:19 PM

13,879 posts, read 25,306,858 times
Companies have been able to insist on a tobacco free workforce and I believe it has been challenged in court. Since pot is legal in CO, I guess it would be the same as telling people they will be fired for using tobacco, even at home. As long as you have a written policy that is enforced equally across the board you will be OK. Start making exceptions and you could be making future legal trouble for yourself. If you have the policy in place, follow it.

We have the same problem in Nevada. It is hard to find people who can pass a pot test. And most of these jobs don't pay much so people just go out and get another one.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:20 PM

2,291 posts, read 2,677,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garylancelot View Post
Fellow Coloradans (or anyone else willing to chime in!),

As you know, this whole "legalized" marijuana issue has become a bit of a challenge when it comes to finding employees who can keep themselves clean. At my company, a big part of our employees' role is to travel to countries all over the world to do ground surveys. Before purchasing plane tickets, we require employees to undergo a drug test to ensure that we won't have any issues while employees travel.

Most employees are straightforward and will let me know beforehand that they won't pass the test; an honesty which I appreciate. A couple days ago however, an employee deliberately brought a clean urine sample to his test with the intent of cheating and deceiving the system. He is a valuable employee and I really like the guy, but at the end of the day, can I trust him? He humbly came to me and spoke with me face to face about what happened because he wanted to be open about it rather than me hearing about it from another source. I don't think he would have done so had he not been caught.

I could simply restrict him from traveling ever again, or I could just let him go based on the overall possibility of future dishonesty.

What would you do?
I would fire him, based on the part of what you said that I bolded. You seem like an extremely reasonable person, who appreciates honestly, yet for some reason, this "valued" employee attempted to deceive you. Why? I don't think you can trust him. Why didn't he just tell the truth, that he wouldn't pass the drug test? From what you said, it doesn't seem as if you would have punished him for simply telling the truth. He was willing to put your whole company at risk, for no apparent reason.

And of course, he would not have confessed to you if he'd not been caught - doesn't that make you wonder what else he might try to get away with? I just don't see how you could ever trust him again or why you would want to continue to employ a person who you can't trust.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:24 PM

601 posts, read 201,677 times
How was he caught, and what did he say? What is standard protocol for failing the test? Also, is lying/dishonesty automatically a cause for immediate dismissal (I know it can be in totally unrelated fields/situations, hence the question)?

17,165 posts, read 13,708,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't agree with pre-employment drug testing unless it's crucial to the type of work a person is doing, such as someone who works in healthcare, drives a truck or operates heavy equipment, airline pilot, etc.

I think most businesses waste time and money policing their employees.
Shouldn't that also apply to alcohol? -or are you saying that pot is fundamentally worse than alcohol?

3,144 posts, read 884,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
We have the same problem in Nevada. It is hard to find people who can pass a pot test. And most of these jobs don't pay much so people just go out and get another one.
So maybe there's a problem with the testing procedures and rules rather than the people.

I've never understood why job evaluation isn't based on job performance, but it isn't. Politics, the government, and/or political correctness always has to butt their big noses into employer/employee relationships.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:30 PM

8,579 posts, read 3,010,942 times
All posters who recognize that this isn't a referendum on the benefits and utter benignity of the wonder weed, raise your hands... thought so.

Dragging in the tired old rants about weed v. alcohol v. tobacco and Freedom! and Personal Choice Dammit! really don't add anything. Especially not here in CO, where the issue is settled.

The OP's stated intent is to protect employees and himself from drug law problems for employees that travel. Instead of debating the massive invasion of personal privacy and choice and blah blah blah... how about focusing on how he might better/best do everything he can not to end up in legal entanglements with employees who travel outside the 420 zone?

Comments from employers rather than 420 agitators will be given preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or