U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 03:40 PM

260 posts, read 53,349 times

Advertisements

Walmart sounds better. Mickey D. and other fast food chains honestly sounds like horrible places to work at for people who are not teenagers anymore.
But it depends: if you can become a restaurant manager there, then it really isn't that bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 04:08 PM

2,907 posts, read 1,588,036 times
OP seems to have disappeared, must be working really hard at some job now I guess. Or just lost interest in this request for advice.

ETA: As mentioned above I checked out a bit of the OP's other posts & if factual he/she seems pretty lost right now with all sorts of issues. If factual & not fiction...

Old 05-18-2019, 08:41 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,503,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur123 View Post
Walmart sounds better. Mickey D. and other fast food chains honestly sounds like horrible places to work at for people who are not teenagers anymore.
But it depends: if you can become a restaurant manager there, then it really isn't that bad.
But there are lots of adults working at fast food chains. My local McDonald's seems to be all 30-40-something immigrants, for example. And they don't seem miserable; they clock in, do their job, then leave.

It's a shame that people have stigmatized this kind of work, like only a subhuman should do it, yet have no problem patronizing fast food restaurants.

What happened to the egalitarianism for which the U.S. is so famous? People are such snobs about jobs. They ignorantly call them "mcJobs", not realizing that the term originally was invented by McDonalds themselves, an initiative to hire the disabled. Too bad that entitled idiots turned the term into an insult.

Work is work. I respect anyone who works, especially those willing to get their hands dirty. If the OP is still hovering around out there, I hope he/she takes this advice to heart and gets out there and starts making some money, and not listen to those who bash an entire class of employment.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:23 PM

2,420 posts, read 691,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Work is work. I respect anyone who works, especially those willing to get their hands dirty. If the OP is still hovering around out there, I hope he/she takes this advice to heart and gets out there and starts making some money, and not listen to those who bash an entire class of employment.
I agree that work is work.

But Mcjobs don't pay well. This is the key problem.

If people were paid $50K-$60K in a reasonable COL area (or $200K in Silicon valley) to flip hamburgers, those jobs would become VERY desirable and people would be hyper competitive to get them.

And there's no way to move up so one can get a raise.

And there's no way to do a career change from a Mcjob to a job that actually pays decently.

Result: People in their 30's and 40's making minimum wage and wondering when they'll be able to afford the necessities in life. Many of them wonder when they'll ever pay off their student loans.

The problem is all about the benjamins.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:25 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,487,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
But there are lots of adults working at fast food chains. My local McDonald's seems to be all 30-40-something immigrants, for example. And they don't seem miserable; they clock in, do their job, then leave.

It's a shame that people have stigmatized this kind of work, like only a subhuman should do it, yet have no problem patronizing fast food restaurants.

What happened to the egalitarianism for which the U.S. is so famous? People are such snobs about jobs. They ignorantly call them "mcJobs", not realizing that the term originally was invented by McDonalds themselves, an initiative to hire the disabled. Too bad that entitled idiots turned the term into an insult.

Exactly. I respect janitors, cart retrievers, orderlies, fast food workers. I don't understand the mentality that because a job is low paid the person deserves to be shamed and insulted. But at the same time the person is reviled for not being paid enough to say off welfare. And many of these jobs are harder than highly skilled high paid jobs.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 AM

6,573 posts, read 1,355,446 times
FWIW -- I worked at McDonald's as a young adult (about 45 years ago) and at a Wal-Mart about 12 years ago when I needed a second job for about a year -- and although the pay was much worse at McDonald's, I would 100 times rather work at McDonald's unless I definitely needed more money. Wal-Mart was the worst job I have EVER had!

Btw, my daughter's ex-husband started working at a fast food chain (not McD's) as just the usual line cook and/or counter person, and within three years of finishing high school, he was the manager of the place making $40k (at age 21) and is now in line to being a regional manager, at the age of 27, with no education beyond high school. So that would make me think that if someone is intelligent, willing to work hard, and willing to take on added responsibility, it is STILL possible to make good money even without a college education.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:56 AM

3,764 posts, read 3,503,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I agree that work is work.

But Mcjobs don't pay well. This is the key problem.

If people were paid $50K-$60K in a reasonable COL area (or $200K in Silicon valley) to flip hamburgers, those jobs would become VERY desirable and people would be hyper competitive to get them.

And there's no way to move up so one can get a raise.

And there's no way to do a career change from a Mcjob to a job that actually pays decently.

Result: People in their 30's and 40's making minimum wage and wondering when they'll be able to afford the necessities in life. Many of them wonder when they'll ever pay off their student loans.

The problem is all about the benjamins.
"the benjamins" -- you do realize that expression you used is codespeak for "The Jews control the banks" or similar anti-Semitic nonsense?

Ok let's talk about student loans. Someone majors in an interesting but financially worthless field -- Women's Studies, Art History, Philosophy. They borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay for it. They come out and work at... McDonald's or Walmart. And they complain that they don't make enough to pay back their loans. Well who forced them to take out loans? Seems like a bad investment.

Major in something useful like coding, or graphic design, or engineering, and feel free to take a few Gender Studies and Philosophy courses on the side if that floats your boat.

There are tons of jobs out there right now, if you're willing to roll up your sleeves and work really hard. You can find jobs in plants and factories, which are reviving these past two years and are screaming for sober, drug-free workers (hard to find, apparently), and work nights at restaurants or retail to earn extra bucks and pay off your loans faster.

Or you can go into the trades, which have a severe shortage of fresh young workers--carpenters, plumbers, electricians, builders--and get into a high paying union job eventually, or else just make great bucks as a contractor. An electrician friend of mine in his 60s says all the electricians are older, hardly any young people coming into the profession except for immigrants coming up from Brazil because young Americans don't want to put in the 3-4 years of apprenticeship and hard work to learn a trade.

We need to fix the high schools to offer trade tracks instead of pushing everyone into liberal arts college programs. OK getting off my soapbox now. My point is, there's plenty of opportunities out there across the board.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,794 posts, read 54,455,776 times
I would say neither is better than the other, both have severe risk of your job being eliminated in the near future. Our nearest Walmart no longer has any cashiers, just self service. See below what they are also starting to do. One by one the McD in our area are being closed (except for the drive-up) and re-opening with self-service kiosks to order and pay, eliminating cashiers. By 2020 all of them will have these kiosks.

https://smallbiztrends.com/2017/06/w...g-machine.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edrensi.../#1e8158c56f14

Old 05-20-2019, 02:21 PM

108 posts, read 38,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would say neither is better than the other, both have severe risk of your job being eliminated in the near future. Our nearest Walmart no longer has any cashiers, just self service. See below what they are also starting to do. One by one the McD in our area are being closed (except for the drive-up) and re-opening with self-service kiosks to order and pay, eliminating cashiers. By 2020 all of them will have these kiosks.

https://smallbiztrends.com/2017/06/w...g-machine.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edrensi.../#1e8158c56f14
Well, the only place that seems to call me back is Walmart, and with one exception McDonald’s. I just woke up today from another round of rejection emails from various jobs, including retail at FedEx Office.

I might have a degree, but I’m pretty clearly a bottom of the barrel applicant with my unstable work history. There is also the issue of me having to lie about my legal name on all job applications. I don’t want to use my girl name because it is embarassibg and I don’t present myself that way any more...

Old 05-20-2019, 04:35 PM

949 posts, read 538,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
Well, the only place that seems to call me back is Walmart, and with one exception McDonald’s. I just woke up today from another round of rejection emails from various jobs, including retail at FedEx Office.

I might have a degree, but I’m pretty clearly a bottom of the barrel applicant with my unstable work history. There is also the issue of me having to lie about my legal name on all job applications. I don’t want to use my girl name because it is embarassibg and I don’t present myself that way any more...
Here is how to move ahead out of your dilemma
  • You have got to use your legal name. Period. Legally change it if you do not like it.
  • Take the job a Walmart and build up a stable work history.
  • Get some help -you obviously have some unresolved issues. If you are an LGBT person (or whatever) Google for resources in your community to help you sort yourself out.
  • Get over the fact that you have a degree for right now. After I left the military (I hd a degree) I worked as a switchboard operator, maid, waiter to pay the rent at a residence club in a large West Coast city. My first job there was in insurance as an underwriter. The pay was very low and I had to pay a fee to the employment agency on top of that. Once I left the city, I was able to eventually get a job that I wanted, but it was at least a few years...I am working on a PhD right now, but I would still do a crap job if I had to....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or