Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 07:15 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

It seems that way with jobs I've worked in factory and warehouse environment so far, that there has always got to be at least one person though who bullies everyone around, even threatening in ways... Especially when I was in mining, that was really bad for that.

I talked about it with my friends and they said it's because in those jobs, a lot of people with criminal background work in those jobs, and even ex-cons sometimes, trying to make a living, so those kinds of jobs, are more likely going to have more ill-tempered people working there, who may have a more fascist mind, hence, why they probably have committed crimes in the first place, out of some sort of moral superiority complex.

But do you think that's true though, that jobs that are more likely to not hire ex-cons and people with records, would be a more friendly environment to work in?

Last edited by ironpony; 04-29-2019 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 01:12 AM

23,302 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It seems that way with jobs I've worked in factory and warehouse environment so far, that there has always got to be at least one person though who bullies everyone around, even threatening in ways... Especially when I was in mining, that was really bad for that.

I talked about it with my friends and they said it's because in those jobs, a lot of people with criminal background work in those jobs, and even ex-cons sometimes, trying to make a living, so those kinds of jobs, are more likely going to have more ill-tempered people working there, who may have a more fascist mind, hence, why they probably have committed crimes in the first place, out of some sort of moral superiority complex.

But do you think that's true though, that jobs that are more likely to not hire ex-cons and people with records, would be a more friendly environment to work in?
Not necessarily. The manner in which a bully operates in a white collar job may be different, may be more subtle than a more physical bully in a blue collar job. Not all criminals or ex-cons are bullies. Not all bullies become criminals or spend time in jail. White collar workers can be just as miserable and ill-tempered as others.

The better way to deal with this is learn how to manage or ignore bullies for yourself. Then it won't matter as much what color the bully's collar is.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:50 AM

307 posts, read 255,896 times
Bullies exist everywhere...honestly I think you are MORE likely to find them in white collar jobs...workaholics can seem like bullies sometimes. It's just my opinion but I think that the more salaried type jobs there are, then the higher chance of coming across bullies b/c they know they can make you do more for less. I dunno, I've only ever had admin assistant type white collar jobs. I work in a pink collar industry now though but I'm sure there are bullies there as well lol!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:13 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Generally those in white collar professions are more to cut you off at the knees behind closed doors and behind your back. Those in the blue collar environment, will bully you up front to your face as they have far less professionalism out front and far less discreet.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:44 AM

Oh okay, but isn't doing it up front to your face, worse than behind your back, and therefore makes is it worse in a blue collar environment?

Old 04-30-2019, 06:45 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I think your friend is a fool to equate blue collar work with criminality and convicts. That said, the difference between white collar and blue collar bullying would be in the style.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:46 AM

Oh okay, but a lot of times former criminals do not go for white collar jobs near as often it seems.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:01 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Generally those in white collar professions are more to cut you off at the knees behind closed doors and behind your back. Those in the blue collar environment, will bully you up front to your face as they have far less professionalism out front and far less discreet.
Agreed. It's kind of like "stabbed with a smile."

Old 04-30-2019, 07:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Working through high school and college, I never encountered any bullies. One sourpuss was bad enough.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:15 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Sociopaths exist.

See the Gervais Principle.

They're not limited to manufacturing, they're everywhere. If you see a bully, there is a measurable chance they're a sociopath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment