U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 11:54 AM

5,028 posts, read 3,213,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mua_fifi View Post
I work in a very small group, its myself and 2 other people in my office. And us 3 work within a larger team of about 15 people spread along the east coast.

Of the two people in my office, one of them has been there longer than me and the other guy. Me and the new guy were hired recently to help ramp up the business and emerging development in our area. Ever since I started the one who's been here longer has been somewhat catty. Very slow to offer information, and plays dumb about things.

Today I learned that she worked on a side project with my other co-worker and didn't tell me about it. I found out about it at the same time as the other 15 people in our other offices, when they sent out an email blast about the work. I was shocked. I didn't realize she would be so bold to just flat out not include me.

To add insult to injury, I had a weekly call with boss earlier this week. And he asked me a weird question out of the blue -- asking if I'd talked to my co-workers last week. I thought that was weird, and said yeah we'd briefly chatted but nothing worth mentioning. I now realize he knew about their project and didn't mind that I was being excluded. I feel shocked and hurt.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?
I'd just keep backing up to the pay window, collect the check and do my job. They aren't complaining about your job, so don't fret it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 02:46 PM

3,756 posts, read 2,123,163 times
Welcome to high school. I mean corporate America

Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 PM

58 posts, read 16,775 times
With decades of experience working in offices, my two thoughts regarding this are:

1.) You're there to get a job done, not make friends with people. Stop worrying about being excluded from things, and stop worrying about what your coworkers think. If they dislike you, WHO CARES?! I've worked with loads of people at different jobs who I've gotten the impression didn't like me personally. Oh well. I care about what my boss thinks about my performance and that is it.

2.) You will probably work with loads of crappy people at different jobs. I've had coworkers sit five feet away from me and whisper about me, but loudly enough so that I could hear them. I've had nasty managers who played favorites and would throw fits over any little thing. I've gotten dirty looks from coworkers and have been embarrassed in meetings. I've dealt with plenty of backstabbers who play the blame game to compensate for their own shortcomings. Again, I don't care. Know why? It's because I've always been a solid performer who stays focused on the job itself, and my bosses have respected me for it. I've gotten several raises in offices where I could not stand the majority of the people working there.

Just focus on the job itself, not the idiots that you share an office with. Oh yeah, and look at that paycheck when it comes, and remind yourself that is why you show up everyday.

Last edited by Surfer Guy; 05-21-2019 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or