Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 04:55 PM

1,158 posts, read 960,857 times

Advertisements

OP sounds like we work for the same insurance company...lol.

The job hoppers are the ones who have totally ruined our company. The folks who were competent and actually had the knowledge and technical ability were driven out and replaced by a bunch of morons with zero industry experience that can't solve basic problems or produce any results. The company is too damn cheap to pay for talent. The company has experienced massive 'brain drain' over the last 5 years

My clueless manager has failed chronically and consistently for the last THREE years and failed to produce any results or meet metrics. No one in upper management has held this moron accountable. He blew through the OT budget for the entire year in 3 months due to horrible mismanagement.

I am so sick of this s*** show everyday. Are there any large companies left that are run well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 06:25 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Yes, I’m actually amazed at how poorly big, well known companies are run. When I was in college, I had this mystique about the Fortune 500 being elite like how you would think of NBA players or something in terms of athletics.

But really, they have probably 20 to 30 percent of the work force that is actually exceptional. But there’s an equal amount of people who are absolutely dead wood. Either because they’ve been there so long and are just complacent and financially secure or they’re just off in some useless silo lost in the beuracracy of a big employer. For people who are good, you get piled on with expectations and work. People who suck can skate by with very little responsibility or accountability. Trying to work with other business units as a corporate business unit can be downright disgusting. Emails go off into the void or just get passed around through literally 10 people before someone actually claims “hey I can be responsible for that”.

It seems the only way to get rid of useless people is through mass layoffs. And quite literally I think you could fire 1/5 of the staff in these companies without the company even skipping a beat.
I chuckled when you mentioned the “e-mails that go off into the void”. I’m always bringing things up and it’s very discouraging when I don’t receive replies. As a sales Manager, I also have to speak to agents for the presentation of our new 2020 benefits during the Fall. I hope that the company will fix some of its crap before then! Otherwise, I’ll be lying to the agents, singing the company’s sweet siren song and feeling like sheet.

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 05-17-2019 at 06:50 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 09:11 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
funny how these threads are always dominated by folks who are talented, extra hard workers, and all the folks they work with are slackers, and their managers/bosses are all incompetent morons. I'm long ago retired, but I doubt things have changed a lot since I was working, and I think it was Shakespeare that said "the empty vessel makes the loudest noise" (not an exact quote)

Old 05-17-2019, 10:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
funny how these threads are always dominated by folks who are talented, extra hard workers, and all the folks they work with are slackers, and their managers/bosses are all incompetent morons. I'm long ago retired, but I doubt things have changed a lot since I was working, and I think it was Shakespeare that said "the empty vessel makes the loudest noise" (not an exact quote)
Well, business just hasn't been the same since you bought a rocking chair.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Well, business just hasn't been the same since you bought a rocking chair.
lol - Based on this post, I'm pretty sure you are in the "loudest noise" group.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Nah, I just can't resist stupid posts from drive-by participants.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Nah, I just can't resist stupid posts from drive-by participants.
Don't be so harsh on yourself, bro.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:32 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
I hate posts like yours where some know-it-all is wagging their finger to others as if they are petulant children who haven't seen the world yet. Yes, your quotation is admittedly valuable, I could even apply it to my own company and derive the same conclusion. Each day is a tedious rerun of managers running around putting out fires and getting worked up about politics. Sound familiar? Workplace incompetence is shockingly prevalent and complaining about it is not a sign of immaturity or weakness, it's the opposite.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:48 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
The reality is that you can't run a larger company like a baseball team, demoting or dropping staff for plateauing too long or a period of decline in performance.

It's a bit like pitching in the majors... when there were only 12 teams, it was rare for a team not to have one or two future HoFers on its rotation, if not more. Expand to 32 teams, and the pool of these exquisitely talented players is diluted.

If you have 5,000 employees, they're not going to be the best 5,000 employees on earth.

That this sometimes spreads into whole layers or departments of middling competence is both true and regrettable, but I think a lot of such assessment that "there's a whole middle layer no one needs" is a bit subjective. See the recent laughable thread about how software teams don't need any management.
Oh no, I get all that. Not everyone can or needs to be a super star. Of course there’s need for steady role players. Be a star in your role and all that.

I don’t expect to work next to 10 babe Ruth’s. But I do expect the slobby out of shape player talking about how they used to be all conference in high school to be told the dream is over for their time in the big show.

There are people in these corporations that quite literally don’t deserve to be there. In many cases progression in these big companies is a stamp of your competence. Your rise signals how elite you are. But there’s a large segment of employees who actually think they’re elite just because they work for a name brand company. It goes to their ego and they point to their long tenure as a badge. But reality is, they suck and they’re coasting deadwood. The talented, hardworking people just work around them and carry all their weight like a sack.

Dunning Kruger and all that.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:42 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
First rate companies hire first rate people.

Second rate companies hire third rate people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment