Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 08:17 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times

Advertisements

Ah. The H2B visa.

The visas that Trump uses in his hotels.

So I'm not surprised.

These are usually for minimum wage Mcjobs that have no way up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 07:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Any increase in H1B visas (which AFAIK isn't part of Trump's remarks) is too much.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:00 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Link to the proposal?

I remember Trump running on the "anti-H1B" platform and in the beginning he actually increased restrictions on that program. The cronies wanting cheap labor were whining like babies.
Can’t forget that he’s one of those who uses that has always used cheap labor including foreigners and including illegal immigrants. Just like he rails about bringing jobs back to this country while everything he and his children make are made overseas.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:52 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Quite the opposite, all snide bull**** aside. It was from the clown in chief.

Please actually read the proposal. Remember. I said PROPOSED, while morons on the thread look for actuals. It was in his speech Tuesday night.

Here’s the press release https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...america-first/

Which is complete horse****. Boundless Immigration took a crack at estimating the impact and they project that Skilled labor immigration visas will expand 5X current levels, filling the “family visa” void.

Maybe y’all should read some
Stuff that’s not on the Internet from time to time - might have avoided this situation to begin with.
Maybe you should have provided a link instead of just some random mention of a proposal!

Old 05-24-2019, 03:42 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Quite the opposite, all snide bull**** aside. It was from the clown in chief.
Even as someone who wouldn't cross the street to piz on DJT's shoes, I find this line wonderfully self-contradicting.

Don't get all snotty with us because you half-heard something and created a thread whose very title is factually incorrect.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:53 PM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Even as someone who wouldn't cross the street to piz on DJT's shoes, I find this line wonderfully self-contradicting.

Don't get all snotty with us because you half-heard something and created a thread whose very title is factually incorrect.
Actually, read the entirety of it - twice - since I was shaking my head so much the first time. Then dug into the think tank research and opinions that came out of it. I'm sorry that's a long row for you to hoe to get to the basis of the thread.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:54 PM

724 posts, read 530,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Maybe you should have provided a link instead of just some random mention of a proposal!
Maybe you should spend more time actually reading things int he real world.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:56 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Actually, read the entirety of it - twice - since I was shaking my head so much the first time. Then dug into the think tank research and opinions that came out of it. I'm sorry that's a long row for you to hoe to get to the basis of the thread.
But it's an interpretation of a rumor of an off-hand comment from a man who lies about what he had for lunch and can't remember what he had for breakfast. It's not worth getting riled over. It's barely worth discussion.

In fact, it's a lot like my go-to example of some junior California congresscritter (usually from Berkeley or SF) who introduces a bill to ban cars or give every household in the state a bicycle or ban underwire bras:

Irrelevant, but it surezell pumps out the headlines.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:17 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Any increase in H1B visas (which AFAIK isn't part of Trump's remarks) is too much.

The H1B proposal that I have seen keeps the same number of visas. They are flipping the different applicant pools

Reference: https://insights.dice.com/2018/12/28...g-effect-2019/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
However, all those small moves may add up to something substantial in 2019. For example, the Trump administration wants to fundamentally alter the H-1B applicant pools by having all applicants—including those with advanced degrees—enter the annual “general pool” of 65,000 visas; after that, any remaining applicants with advanced degrees will enter a 20,000-visa “master’s cap” pool. That’s a reversal of the current system, in which applicants with advanced degrees enter the “master’s cap” pool, after which the unaccepted remainder enter the “general pool”; in theory, the new system will increase the chances of applicants with advanced degrees actually landing a visa.
It will not be lowered, but it will not be increased either. Scroll down to the comment section of the link. Many IT people are very unhappy, as they expected big changes to reduce the flood of Indian IT contractors. This will do nothing.

While he did nothing for H1B, he is more than doubling the visas for H2B. It will allow more people to come to the USA with a lower bar of entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment